All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

1

fizzylizzy8 (United States) published:

Came In Clear

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Stella sat in a leather chair, straps buckled over her chest. Her mother was kneeling in front of her with a smile stretched across her face, Stella giggling as she tickled her through her little suit. Outside a nearby window her mother glanced, the corner of her mouth creasing.
Stars speckled the black abyss, drifting as the ship glided away from a distant blue planet mottled in green.
Her mother turned back to her, making Stella beam. Six-year-old hands wrapped...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

MemeMaster69 (Hong Kong) published:

Collage

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

If f-1(x)=x-5/2 and g(x): —> x2, find gf(x)

8 minutes, Lyn, you can do this. Evelyn tilted her throbbing temple against a pigment tinted palm, balefully directing her bloodshot eyes towards the gaping chasm between 10 and 12, pleading for the chime of bells. Stained forearms trembled with exhaustion, threatening to collapse; she grimaced as a migraine ruthlessly burrowed into her skull. Clamping her tear sodden orbs shut, an inundation of agitation flooded her mind, enfeebling her resolve...
Seeking Peer Reviews

MemeMaster69 (Hong Kong) published:

Collage

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

MemeMaster69 (Hong Kong) published:

Collage

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Jo Rejoicing (United States) published:

Violet the Spy

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Violet approached the building. “Club for Environmentally Concerned Individuals Fundraiser Dance”, screamed the banner. The enormous guards opened the double doors for her after she showed them her ticket. She dropped a few bills into the donation box, and entered the building, glad to be out of the evening rain.

Quickly, she scanned the large room. About two hundred people were here, eating, drinking, and dancing. A combination of laughter, chattering, and gentle piano music filled the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Raina Lamontagne (Canada) published:

What's in the Dark

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Viola Argentum was walking home from university, back to her new apartment after her first day. Mars, her best friend, had already left, leaving Viola alone to walk home. Her apartment had taken some time getting used to, but anything was better than her parents, who had split the family in two, like a worm. One half survived, and the other had not. 
    Soon it got dark. The ice crunched below her feet, and on either side of the street,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

mya.02 (United Kingdom) published:

Into the Waves

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“The time is 10:17pm, present in the room are D.I. Keaton and Judy Skelton. Judy, your friend, Lusha Thompson, was reported missing at approximately 8:10pm earlier this evening. Can you tell me what happened?”
*
A harsh wind tacked the sea wall, just above the rocky coast where the two girls sat. Between them, a large McDonald’s fries which they picked at as they spoke, watching the waves feebly attempt to reach them.
“What do you make of him then?”...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MemeMaster69 (Hong Kong) published:

Collage

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Perplexing symbols stood out against a grimy backdrop, vague outlines vanishing into the yellowing plastic, mottled with age and humidity. The clock’s hands inched forward languidly, mimicking that of a snail’s pace; an ephemeral wintry breeze purged the classroom of its suffocating atmosphere, mischievously tousling countless hastily tied ponytails and unkempt bobs as it made its inconspicuous entrance; the methodical tapping of graphite against paper formed a mute symphony, tempting its...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Hayley Reimer (Canada) published:

Meant To Be

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

It was a bright starry night. The summer breeze blew softly though the trees as the crickets in the tall grass chirped quietly. There were no city noises or bright lights, just the quiet calm of the meadow. Ophelia watched as a firefly blinked its lights and another firefly nearby responded. She was a young writer and she had just gotten her first book published. She decided to take a break for a while and clear her mind. Ophelia had...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

MacKenzie Lee (Canada) published:

Framed

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Finally, we arrived at my house. Grayson parked the car and we got out. It wasn't too long of a drive since I lived in the city not too far from where I worked. Rosalie and her parents had nicely left the outside lights on so I wouldn't have to walk around in the dark. Once up the driveway, I arrived at the door and noticed something strange. The door was unlocked. That’s weird. Maybe Rosalie and her parents forgot to...

3

Canary818 (Singapore) published:

The Girl Who Never Forgot

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Ignorance is bliss?

This phrase has always resonated with Mira. When the trauma in life is too much for a person to handle, would it be better for him to forget, and live as if nothing had ever happened? Or should he muster up the mental strength to face his grief head on?

She wondered while waiting in a large lab facility, which she would regularly visit for the entire 12 years of her life. For scientists to satisfy their...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Casey Donaldson (United States) published:

The Village Beneath the Sun

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Chapter One
    The deep chime of the bell atop the tower began to sound, ding ding ding, informing the town of my arrival. I released my grip on the rugged rope, hanging heavy from the ceiling, and twisted into a knot at the bottom. The sun cast into the tower from a puny window sitting comfortably within the wall, scattering light over the dank bricks that lay before me. I came on a good day; the air was warm and...
Seeking Peer Reviews

20

sunny.v (United States) published:

These Unbidden Contracts

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Helia’s tongue flicks against her canines. Her teeth break the skin of her tongue, and the rusty tang of blood fills her mouth. She swallows, relishing in its flavor. Admittedly, it is a grounding presence.

But also, as she knows: always very intimidating to humans. Such as the one standing before her.

“You’re here,” the little boy says, wondrous. Wondrous, but not surprised, nor afraid. They stand at a crossroads—the boy on one side of the train tracks, Helia crouched...

ELLIANNA (United States) published:

The passion's of Gloriana

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

It was a hot and humid day on the beach. I wanted to go home and drink a fancy glass of Chardonnay but my aunt, Abuela wanted to do yoga on the beach. She thought it would make her feel relaxed but it’s only making her as miserable as my bone head annoying dad. He is a renowned actor and the most famous actor in the world. Anyways my name Evanore Gloriana Luciana i would say i'm the most spectacular,...

ELLIANNA (United States) published:

The passion's of Gloriana

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

3

mikilynnwalker23 (Canada) published:

Chasing the Truth

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"We need to find a way out of here." Sadie Owens decided. "They'll never let all four of us out alive."
What?! Cant we wait out the time? They'll have to let us all live then, won't they? And what about my sister, Kiara? She'll be devastated one of us dies!" I protested.
"Sadie's right y'know. They brainwashed me for a reason. If either you or I isn't dead, they'll kill us all." commented Ryan Fletcher.
"What do you suggest...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

mikilynnwalker23 (Canada) published:

Chasing the Truth

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"What do you suggest...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AliMuscles04 (United States) published:

Tolerated *Excerpt: Chloe*

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I know something is up almost as soon as I wake up-- I don't know what, but it makes me feel like I need to go downstairs. Downstairs, I see my parents looking at the computer, confused.
    "What's up?" I ask.
    "Morning, Chloe. We're just checking out this email from your new school," Dad replies.
    "What's it say?" I don't think that I have done anything wrong, I mean, I've only been...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Faiza Jerin (Bangladesh) published:

Echo of The Hour

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

1
 Noori starts to doodle in her desk as if no one were watching. All sudden, she feels a thrust on her shoulder only to discover Sana, her old mate from 3rd grade. 

Sana says, with...

Deep Rai (India) published:

YOU and ME

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Little prankster Deira starts his first grade school day by falling from stairs, taunting his mom, and laughing as always. But after he reached school, he realized about the prank mom had played on him. He was an hour early and alone among the students till a girl named Kayra appeared. She happened to be his classmate. Their start was not friendly, but they happened to get along. 
With other companions joining them, they climbed through the classes and soon...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6

~madeline~ (United States) published:

Chance For A Life

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Fynne stood, staring at the tall boy who stood across from her. She willed her eyes to see the way he thought. It was imperative that she could predict his every thought. Fynne closed her eyes and walked through the exercise she did before each duel. Slowly, she picked apart her surroundings, acknowledging and dismissing each distraction successively. Wind blew around her, brushing her hair against her face and into her eyes. Scents of the pastries and delicacies from food...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

mbrosnan (Australia) published:

The Mother, The Daughter and the Holy Ghost

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The walls were listening. They seemed to etch forward, cramming their ears to hear what I had to say.
“Speak up child” snapped Father Wilderbear from behind the thin brown wood, I couldn’t see his old, raisin-like face— but I knew it was scrunched up in disgust, like when I smell tuna.

I don’t like Confession.

But Sister Paul and Sister Lucy make my class and I go every Wednesday, so we are cleansed for Mass— to receive the Holy...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Kairos (Australia) published:

The Hall of Memories

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Lead-up to The Conversation (Near Climax)
Alex walked through the tall ebony doors of the guest hall. It was much larger than he had remembered. The door slowly closed behind him. Again, he felt the cold, lifelessness of the room. 
Alex thought he would find solace again in the room that began his journey, that a room with warmth and colour would be comforting; but unsurprisingly, its grandiosity and the sheer power it symbolises only made him feel the same...
Seeking Peer Reviews

5

SunV (India) published:

Speak: Prologue

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

She stared at the crowd in front of her. Everyone, every single one of them was on their phone. And she stood on the stage, also on her phone. But she aimed to change this situation before the end of this session. She opened the TedText app on her phone.

"Fourteen years ago" She typed, "I was born. Now, that might be a normal occasion for the most of you, I mean, everyone else here was born sometime ago too...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jesslyn (Singapore) published:

Be Happy, Bastard

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“Everyone, welcome to our merry circus! What fascinating things we’ll be seeing today!” The ringmaster yelled with enthusiasm into the mic he was holding, putting his other hand up in joyous unite with the crowd. The crowd roared in excitement.

“Now, now, let’s not get too excited! Our first act today will be by our humorous clowns! Harry and Avery the clowns, please come to the stage!” Vincent held up an exaggerated pose to signal their entrance...

Seeking Peer Reviews