All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

1

bloop (Hong Kong) published:

to be

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

He ran, blood thrumming through his veins, stomach churning, sweat permeating every inch of his clothing.

It was only when he’d reached the edge of the world, the vast black nothingness of the ocean stretched out as far as the eye could see, illuminated by the slumbering sun further down the horizon, that the underlying guilt decided to dawn on him with a sudden gush of vitriol, searing away at his conscience. The adrenaline rush kicked in, the thought of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

MeghanRomano (Canada) published:

Chocolate Cake

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Lucy measured out with a heart-sized blue scoop, One cup, and smoothed out the peak with her finger. Into the metal bowl it powdered. She slid the square Tupperware full of sugar across the kitchen island, the sunshine beaming through the pouring rain now slowed to a drizzle outside the kitchen window. A lined shadow would've fallen onto Lucy’s face from the blinds, but the way the light diffused into the white streaks and piles of cloud, how it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Tabatha (United States) published:

Where Did All the Stars Go?

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Purple and blue was the sky as day turned to night. The remaining leaves on the trees danced in the gentle breeze. Judith walked down the sidewalk in the light of the soft streetlights. Something about this moment felt so serene to Judith. So serene that Judith wished it wouldn’t end even before she passed the park and trekked up to the top of the hill.      Judith felt fuzzy and warm inside despite the cold, crisp air. As Judith...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

juliacm (Canada) published:

The Painted Woman

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

She knew it was there, though her eyes remained closed. She could envision the entire room without having to open them. The gold trimmed mirror, the wooden chest which laid at its feet. The retired piano which stood, untouched, waiting to be brought back to life. The painting. She knew it was there, she could feel it. And there it lay unassuming on the floor waiting to be seen, the strokes of oil paint which protruded the surface of its...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

sherry171 (Canada) published:

Eternal Happiness

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Nina's smile vanished when she spotted that streak of yellow-green hair.
Judy. That traitor.
They wore the gray T-Shirts, masks, and wristbands of the Naturalists; blending in amidst the soaring complexes and somber sky, swarming before the purple-plus-sign buildings. She'd numbed herself to their shrieks long ago; waving cheerfully from her platform, watching the robots spray down the horde of protestors. 

She silently gulped her fifth cup of CALM-omile Tea. She’d used up the last packet in her leather...

Seeking Peer Reviews

9

Luminescent (Canada) published:

Bluebirds Don't Sing On Thursday Afternoons

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Baba never liked the smell of scented candles. Burning wax imitating the tantalizing fragrance of cherry cheesecake or cinnamon apple muffins. Baba never liked when the scent cascaded onto his nose hairs. Baba never liked the sight of flowers. The aroma of daffodils and peonies invading the house, terrorizing his masculinity. He never enjoyed the act of cooking either. Crying with the onions and screaming with the oil. But Baba likes Mama. And it's their twentieth anniversary today.

"Baba!" I...

3

Emily r (United States) published:

Goodbye Dad....

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Emily
     School today was interesting ha,nothing in class lol but a lot of drama.Anyways how are you?.... I wish you could respond.Everyday I look at all the funny goofy loving messages you would send me,the one that haunted me the most the last one you ever sent me .... “I Love you Kiddo.” I miss you dad,Luca,Carl n mom. I wish you could see how far we have come. Maybe you're watching us I- idk. On the bright side.. I...

4

Emily r (United States) published:

Goodbye Dad....

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Emily
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

that one rat from ratatouille (United States) published:

Down We Go

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Imagine. 
Your feet hitting the gravel every split second. The smell of rain, smoke, and metal filling your senses. Bodies surrounding you. They may be on the shoving ahead of you, pushing behind you, or laid on the ground. Either way they’re all escaping the same thing. 
The law. 
The authority, the higher power. Call it what you want. It's the same thing. The thing we’re all sick of.  

We were running. 
They started shooting at us. Five shots....

Mason03 (United States) published:

A thief in the night

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I moved through the night, ghosting silently beside a stone wall.  From between two battlements a sentry leaned out.  He rubbed his eyes--blinked a few times--and peered into the darkness.  I held my breath and pressed myself into the wall.  the guard hung above me for a few agonizing seconds, then moved back.  I faintly heard the rustling of chainmail as he continued his rounds.
    I waited for a while--making sure he wasn't coming back--then unwound...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

gmadden (United States) published:

Islands

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“Something must be done”  
Beatrice muttered, weaving through crowded streets. Amid chaos she focused on the nurse’s white cap and bag of laundry, watching as she delivered soiled uniforms to old Italian women. Their hands, like leather tough yet soft with age, scraped the grime and rust of blood. One hung them on a window-sill, snapping at a young boy to watch. He was 6 maybe 7, with a mop of red hair under a grimy newsboy cap and clothes...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

kittensnake (United States) published:

Swimming in Suburban Decay

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Eyelids to the sky, arms motionless and hair slicked across her chin, like the stick and poke snake on my forearm. Both had dim origins, the tattoo and the tween lying on concrete. That was how I met the girl for the first time, followed by a second time on the eight o'clock news as Morana Novak. One styrofoam cup clammed into the crevice of her tiny hand, tipping out all the water that had come from the...

kittensnake (United States) published:

Swimming in Suburban Decay

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Victoria Yang (United States) published:

Great Grace

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

John stopped by on Sunday. He parked his Camry by the mailbox at about four in the afternoon. He headed toward the house, favoring his right leg as he walked. The heavy sun did not seem to bother him for he strode along without sunglasses or a hat. With his gas station logo t-shirt and a pair of neon green gym shorts that sagged at his crotch, he looked like what I expected from his letters to Grace. 
    He stopped...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

nelson7264 (United States) published:

the good ones

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Leo

Pale yellow and pastel pink. Those were his colors. They curled around louder colors, and swirled through the darkest ones, disarming them. With each breath, his swirls of calming pink and yellow made other colors fade and soften.  No matter how angry the others looked, his colors made them weak. They were… exceptional. That’s why it was so hard to see him gone. Just… gone. No warning, no last words. He just left us, left me. And I hate...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

SunV (India) published:

Speak: Prologue

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

She stared at the crowd in front of her. Everyone, every single one of them was on their phone. And she stood on the stage, also on her phone. But she aimed to change this situation before the end of this session. She opened the TedText app on her phone.

"Fourteen years ago" She typed, "I was born. Now, that might be a normal occasion for the most of you, I mean, everyone else here was born sometime ago too...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

A. Penderwick (United States) published:

Sisters

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I sit on my bed, looking around my room. The walls are gray, with a pale pink accent wall. My bed sits in one corner, near a window, covered in a pale pink duvet. Across the room, there’s an egg chair, a few papers scattered around its base. There are low cubbies along the other wall, stuffed with paints, colored pencils and wrapped chunks of clay. The wall directly across from my bed is covered in art. Some are my...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

SunV (India) published:

Speak: Prologue

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

Serena Ren (United States) published:

Lyrics

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

A leaf whirled down again. After yesterday’s rainy day, the sky was blue again. Yet another day came, Nina, a nineteen-year-old girl, brought her journal to the local park and jotted down the brilliance of life. Line by line, verse by verse, her pen polished the last sentence of a new, beautiful poem, created then and there. Flames of passion were always in Nina’s heart from a young age; she encountered lyrics in every stride forward. Simultaneously, today, as she...

1

TwentyOneTimelords (United States) published:

Beyond Praf-Rosu

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I almost walk past the building without stopping, but one word gets caught in the corner of my eye and startles me so much that I freeze without meaning to: academy. Through the pub's open door, I can see a glimpse of the flickering screen. It belongs to one of the old television sets, a technology now antiquated--almost extinct except for in places like this, and in households too poor to own a HoloVision. 
    There's a burly...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

In Which Yaya Writes (United States) published:

In Which Les the Possum, Timothy Legonawy, and Trini Abasolo Abel are Caught in an Attic

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

On the first of January, I, Timothy Legonawy was sitting in a stale attic on Meadowlark Lane in a small town in New York state, wrapped in blankets. It was a large house with multiple rooms, beautiful furniture, wonderful décor, and two stories, not including the attic. The Mrs.’ favorite item was a large family portrait that hung above the fireplace.  

Mr. Farrington was a broad man with deep brown skin, a black suit and blue tie, and a shining, bald...

2

remi'sgotinkstains (United States) published:

The Pocket Lady

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

August has come and with it a humidity so sticky it makes me want to sit stark-naked in front of the rattling AC unit and claw and scratch off my skin, because it’s that hot.
    Nutoo's almost naked in only her underthings, filling the little parlor with yet another puff of cigarette smoke.  She’s really Momma’s Momma, but Momma denies it.
    “Your grandmother is a waste and disgrace to this family,” Momma says from the kitchen.  She has...

1

Áine O'Connor (Ireland) published:

Reap What You Sow

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Trip. Fall. Hooves. Cart. Dark.

The last things my mind registered before I sank into the ground. Intense blackness seeping into my vision like a pot of ink spilled onto clean white paper as I fell deeper into the abyss. Free falling through a hole faster and faster, the sound of rushing air sweeping past my ears. Thud! I hit the cold stone floor, sending a shot of pain up the back of my head where it struck the ground....

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

Lata.B (United States) published:

Palujion

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The sky is stripped of all its stars, but the full moon guides me to the ocean. I'm earlier than usual, so I sit on a big rock and begin to read. My toes drown with the frosty rocks submerged in the sand. The fun thing about picking a random book is the surprise. I laugh to myself, as I look at the page that has a mermaid drawn on it, but it's not like a real-life mermaid. Real-life mermaids...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Yesenia Gonzalez (United States) published:

Goodbye Helios

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“Earth doesn't smell”, I tell him, spinning the chair to face Miller.  “How the hell do you know? You haven't been on Earth since you were eight”, Miller kindly informed me.  “Earth reeks!  Dude you're gonna hate it”, says Miller, moving from computer to computer.  “Yeah, yeah whatever”, I tell him, moving away from the table and leaving the room. 
    Outside the monitor room I have a clear view of Earth from the West Wing windows.  It was a blue and green...

Seeking Peer Reviews