All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

IsCa (United States) published:

In the Midst of the Storm

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“You write me everyday, you hear?” Mother whimpered. 
“I promise,” My eyes started to burn as we hugged. 
Auntie placed a hand on her shoulder and smiled.
“Don’t worry, Elinor,” she said. “I’ll take care of ‘im.”
“Oh, I know you will,” she sniffed.  “But I’ll still miss you both terribly!”
She wrapped her arms around the two of us and squeezed us tightly. We stayed that way until a short, greasy man walked up to Auntie.
“Uh, ‘scuse me,”...

IsCa (United States) published:

In the Midst of the Storm

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“Uh, ‘scuse me,”...

4

that one rat from ratatouille (United States) published:

Down We Go

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Imagine. 
Your feet hitting the gravel every split second. The smell of rain, smoke, and metal filling your senses. Bodies surrounding you. They may be on the shoving ahead of you, pushing behind you, or laid on the ground. Either way they’re all escaping the same thing. 
The law. 
The authority, the higher power. Call it what you want. It's the same thing. The thing we’re all sick of.  
We were running. 
They started shooting at us. Five shots....
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Zirong (Singapore) published:

Shuyu

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“Stop! Why are you running?” 

Shuyu, desperate and cracked, ran with frantic steps. The girl chased behind him, and he could see her hair floating loose in the air. When he reached the corner of the hutong*, a cunning look flashed across his face — “I’ve got this,” he murmured to himself, as if for reassurance. He then turned left with a rush — at that moment, a hand grabbed his collar. 

“It’s of no use. I was the champion of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Ava Marie (Canada) published:

Alice and I

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I did not understand it, could not understand it. Why did she do it? After all the time we spent together, the experiences we’d shared. Was I not entertaining enough? That must be it. I would just have to try harder, become even more captivating. I didn’t want to be tossed aside anymore, I wanted to be loved. Alice loved me, or so I thought, she completely ignores me now. I should make a scene, throw myself to the floor...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Alliyah (United States) published:

Yellow

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“So,” Kaila leans forward, her chin in her hands and looking up at me like I have some sort of secret to spill. A smile quirks her lips.
    I shift slightly, feeling an odd, sharp piece of the chair bite into my back. “Right,” I exhale with a flash of a smile, trying to quell the sick feeling building up in my stomach. 
    Kaila laughs at that, shaking her head at me. “You look so nervous. Breathe,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Emi (United States) published:

Chapter 1 from Floodlands

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I try not to make it a habit to get into fights. Especially when it's a fight with somebody as disgusting as Cutter. I'm trying my best not to kill him now, but my rising blood pressure isn't helping my temper.
    "If I ever catch you trying to cheat me again," I snarl, slamming him against the Tunnel wall, "I'll break every bone in your body."
    Two minutes ago Cutter would have laughed at...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Umaya1 (Australia) published:

The Pied Piper

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Click 
Fairy tales always begin with once upon a time but the reality is that not all of their characters get their happily ever after. This is the tale of the pied piper...of sorts. It deserves a happily ever after too, if not for me, then at least for those seventeen innocent souls writhing in their graves. 

It was the day that the streaks of lightning struck their stronghold upon the sea, illuminating the inky sky and destroying generations...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Umaya1 (Australia) published:

The Pied Piper

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Click 

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

sophie_simile (United States) published:

The Phoenix

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

New York City, 2220
    The menacing fires were never satisfied. They had come back, this time hungrier than ever, leaving the forests destitute of all life. The singed remnants of their last meal left a bitter taste in the air, like a campfire after it rains. Burned, soggy, hopeless.
      Elidi glanced at the pile of clothes in her room, unpacked. That's how the Earth was being treated. An expendable item, like her sock. Her mother, a mechanical engineer, had been...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Juwie (Canada) published:

A Sinners Story

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Would you like to hear a story? 
A story about a particular group of seven people?
A story about how a particular group of seven people turned into seven sinners?  
Well even if you don't want to hear it I'm going to tell you anyways...

There was once a very attractive idol
and when I say attractive I mean
his skin was as smooth as a baby's butt,
his eyes were an unworldly shade of ocean blue,
his hair was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Luminescent (Canada) published:

Bluebirds Don't Sing On Thursday Afternoons

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I lie. I do it all the time. For example, when I was thirteen years old, I lied to my Dad about my first kiss. To this day he still believes I gave Anthony Parkfield a good kick in the balls when he tried to make a move on me. I’m not planning on making him any wiser.

My parents get back at me sometimes when they find out that I lied about something. Lying is just a part of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

apteryx_ (New Zealand) published:

Journey to the Land of the Dragons

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Sunlight filtered in through the gaps in the trees, casting light on the Dragon Tribe camp, and bringing warmth to the grass patch where Hako sat, meditating. Joyful bird song travelled through the crisp morning air. The weather gave away nothing of the battle to come. For the forest it was just another calm spring morning. Hako soaked in the unmistakable smell of pine, bark and dill that always wafted through this part of the forest, and the familiar layout...

Seeking Peer Reviews

7

mitch.momo (Canada) published:

A 7-Minute Chase Scene

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“Stop! Thief!”

“Alright then, I’ll just stop riiight here... oh wait, I’d rather not spend the rest of my life in jail, thank you very much, sir. Also, who even says ‘stop, thief’ anymore? That’s so cliché. Nobody here has any originality.”

One thing they don’t teach you in school: yelling witty remarks when you’re on the run won’t up your charisma ⁠— but they might distract your pursuer. The footsteps behind me falter into a confused tap dance before...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Malkiboy (United Kingdom) published:

Searching Within the Fog for Someone

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"Catch me if you can!"

We ran, ascending mountains and rolling down wide plains. I laughed, struggling to stand and walk like a normal person. The wind divided my maroon hair, but I didn't care. The farmhouse at the edge of the moors was nearby. We believed we were arriving at our destination.

Johannes halted without notice. He raised his head; he became a dog: sniffing, crawling on his bare feet. I secretly hoped no one saw me with him.
...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Starlitskies (Sri Lanka) published:

Secrets

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

In all my memories of Mama she's bent among the flowers in Papa's garden and yet, she never struck me as a flower-person.

"It's for Papa, Cham" I remember her saying once, when I asked her why she cared for the garden.

"But Mama, Papa doesn't use the flowers right." I complained.

She smiled, tucking a golden strand of loose hair behind her ear. In the soft morning sunlight that filled the garden, her hair was summery and alight, falling...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
2

marlia (United States) published:

Dinner with Death

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The sky was a foggy grey, and the sun cowered behind a wall of clouds. Checking the letter once more, Gabrielle knew this was the place. She honestly didn't expect the estate to be so brooding and mysterious. Gabrielle felt the hair rising on her neck, as she stumbled up the creaky mansion’s steps. Looking around, the house had an ominous aura, Gabrielle noticed. Like right out of a horror movie. Shuddering, she reached for the dusty doorbell. Gabby hesitated....

Seeking Peer Reviews

midnight (United States) published:

Lost in Translation

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Ravyn schooled her face into bored nonchalance as Blaeke stalked up to where she stood, leaning against the column of the cathedral. 
    “Well, well, well, what have we here?” Blaeke drawled, tilting her neck one way then the other. A crack echoed off the smooth, ancient marble. 
    “Hello, Blaeke.” Ravyn’s voice came out in the unruffled silk she knew it would have. “Where’s Elaine?” 
    Blaeke stopped a few paces away, just barely out of Ravyn’s sword’s range. But she had...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

R.j.Elsewhere (Australia) published:

Darwin’s Theory

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

When he told his truth, the first mouthful of daybreak had already conjured things of tale and twist; things of hummingbirds and tea-mist, nymphs and roseblood – things that did not mix all-cocktail-well with the sick on his tongue.

“When I’m with you, love,” he began, eyes aglow like whiskey on fire from the morning star’s hue. “…you have me so tormented and uneasy inside.”

Normally, anyone else would have questioned their lover for saying such a grimly put accusation...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Luminescent (Canada) published:

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

amazing grace (United States) published:

Sewer Rats

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I wake with a start. The Device on my neck gives me a shock, telling me it's time for my shift. As my eyes get used to the darkness  I see another girl next to me. I live down here in what would be considered the sewers. This is where they put all the kids that don't have parents anymore. No one Above, that's what we call the real world, even knows we exist. The government takes a kid whose...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

AliMuscles04 (United States) published:

Tolerated *Excerpt: Chloe*

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I know something is up almost as soon as I wake up-- I don't know what, but it makes me feel like I need to go downstairs. When I get down the stairs, I see my parents looking at the computer, confused. 
    "Morning, Chloe. We're just checking out this email from your new school," Dad replies.
    "What's it say?" I don't think that I have done anything wrong, I mean, I've only been at...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AliMuscles04 (United States) published:

Tolerated *Excerpt: Chloe*

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I know something is up almost as soon as I wake up-- I don't know what but it feels off. After I get ready for school, I walk downstairs and see my parents sitting at the table looking at their emails-- they look confused.
    "What's up?" I ask.
    "What's it say?" I don't think that I have done...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

seaomelette (United Arab Emirates) published:

Devilish Wishes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The Devil was bored. Deep down in the toasty depths of Hell, he perched on his inherited throne of obsidian, which still echoed with the shrieks of sinners from time to time, and filed his talons with a wayward spurt of hellfire, humming Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony. Dun dun dun DUUUUN.

Today had been another dull day of work—judging sinners, supervising torture, writing soul contracts, being summoned a couple times by deluded Satan worshippers—ah, after a gazillion years of doing...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

The Ravenclaw Dragon (United States) published:

Who is Insane? | A-Review-For-A-Review

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I quietly slid outside. The Slivas are still in a deep sleep, something I haven't done since the beginning of summer. It is early enough that I could see my foggy breath. The jungle is buzzing with noise, from birds to bugs to critters. The noisy mess toned down the racket in my own brain. I started walking on the path that Mr. Sliva showed me yesterday. The sunlight peeked through the trees and shone on my back;...

Seeking Peer Reviews