All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

1

Not_a_tear_just_a_raindrop (United States) published:

deal with it (the novel)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

CHAPTER 1

ring! ring! ring! mia woke up to the sound of her phone ringing. wait a second. she didn't have a phone. she turned her head to look the way the ringing noise was coming from. there, sitting on her desk, was the newest version of the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

deal with it (the novel)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

so, recently I published my, by far most popular piece deal with it, and it blew up ( at least to me) with likes and comments, and one of them told me I should write a novel about it, so here it goes. starting tomorrow I will post 1-2 chapters until I reach the end. here is (if it would be a published book) the back. (please tell me any idea's of settings\charecters\ any other details you would like...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

BillyJoeBobTheThird (Canada) published:

The Case of the Time Traveling Man | Review for A Review | Draft #1

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

It was a dark and stormy night.

Wait, let me try again.

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT.

That's better.

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT, and I walked into the house on 221B Baker Street. I brushed my shiny, polished shoes on the "WELCOME" carpet and shook my jet-black umbrella, spraying rain everywhere. I took off my bowling hat, and knocked on the intricate, wooden door.
    "Who is it?"
    "It's Watson, sir, may I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

deal with it (the novel)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Ridwan Hussain (United States) published:

Life of a Farm Boy

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

One by one drifting away, leaves falling never to stay. Witnessing so much throughout their life turning different shades. Unfortunately, It was time to pass away. Falling on warm grass and carried by the wind so the leaves could meet a better end. The tree had shed tears to see her children pass away. The cries of the trees can be heard throughout the night and this was never a beautiful sight. Months and months later, the tree...

Seeking Peer Reviews

7

Halopoet (Pakistan) published:

Paris was beautiful.

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"I knew everything when I was young".  Eleanor Banks sat by the river whispering words of regret to the waves. "I knew I'd hurt myself. As always." She continued." I knew I'd fall in love again." She tried to rhyme her broken thoughts as tears streamed down her face."And I knew Paris was beautiful. Too beautiful to be true. I knew Paris was a dream when I met him there. And I knew I'd have to wake up...

Seeking Peer Reviews

deal with it (the novel)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Amber Novature (United Kingdom) published:

The Prolonged - Chapter One Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Owen tentatively cleared his throat. His mother draped a slender arm over her seat to turn around and face him whilst his father just acknowledged his presence by adjusting the rearview mirror. His eyes pierced into Owen’s through the reflection.

Owen opened his mouth to speak but found that he couldn’t. His throat felt like a lift seared from its tethers, falling a few floors and crashing to the ground in a heap. His gaze flitted between both of his...

Seeking Peer Reviews

anonymous_123 [Child of God] (United States) published:

He's My Brother Novel Writing Competition rough draft

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

He stroked my hair. It was his way of saying that he loved it and me. He loves feelings of different textures of items, so most of the time you’d see him touching everything in a room. 

A tear ran down my cheek. I didn’t want to leave him. “Josh I’ve got to go, I’m sorry,” I said. I did want to leave though. I haven’t been away from my family all summer. I needed to go and take some...

13
3

V-Rose (United States) published:

Death's Tales

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I went to the library after classes to do some research. I always do, but I ended up staring at a black screen while the librarian worked silently. Madam Graecia had told me when I was little that the best way to learn was to look it up. Of course, she meant in a book but... I happened to have a strong dislike for books. And we had computers for a reason. The thing is, I never knew what to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Daniel Xiao (New Zealand) published:

A Tale Unsung

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

A Tale Unsung - An excerpt following a side character (based on a real-life friend) from a novel that I’m writing. I submitted this because it's his birthday soon and I want to do something special for him.

The wisps of contesting strife blew overhead as Kurata stared onto the battlefield. Corpses laid in hundreds of thousands scattered as far as the eye can see. The colossal automations of Lord Nova rummaged through the sea of red. They made their...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Daniel Xiao (New Zealand) published:

A Tale Unsung

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

7

The Inky Writer (Ireland) published:

Elizabeth Martins Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Elizabeth Martins smiled a sad smile at her mother. Her bottom lip quivered as she held in her cries. Elizabeth was wearing her mother’s thick woolly cardigan, a knee length skirt and a grey wool bucket hat. A white label hung limply off a brown string from around her neck, as if she was a parcel. Her younger brother Thomas was terrified and crying and Elizabeth was unable to comfort him. Thomas was clutching his teddy bear and blanket, one...

7

The Inky Writer (Ireland) published:

Elizabeth Martins Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

3

cookies_and_stardust (Singapore) published:

The princess and the curse

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“I know who you are,”
              I turn. Behind the counter, there stands a short little man with a  bowler hat. He’s wearing a top tier coat and tie.  By the looks of it, a successful businessman. 
              “I beg your pardon, sir?” When did this guy come into the shop anyway? I didn’t hear the bell jingle.
              The man said nothing. He smiled in a bemused fashion and continued staring at me. What a creep.
 ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

jashles (United States) published:

Honey

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Milo rapped on my window the next morning. He smiled at me, cheerily waving me over with his infectious smile. I put on a show of reluctance as I rolled off my poorly made bed and lifted that glass between us.
“Don’t roll your eyes. You know you missed me,” he teased.
“I’ll close this window so fast-”
“Come to Black Sand Beach with me,” he blurted.
“Milo, you know I’m not supposed to hang out with you,” I told...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

NaiadIna (Australia) published:

Beers and Camaros

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

When there’s periods of silence in your own life, you fill in the gaps with other people’s stories. Tonight, I opt for some Elvis Presley and spin the volume dial on my Walkman upwards. I’m walking stone-faced down a moonlit Flinders Lane while caressing a mic stand in my visual cortex.

I don't bother to stop for the dinging tram as I make a beeline for the pub. I glance down at my watch before I remember it needs a...

1

Bookworm101 (Australia) published:

A King's Crown

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The young boy, almost a man now and possessing the swaggering confidence that comes with it, prowled through the silent Palace. He stepped carefully, avoiding the patches of light and the gaze of the yawning guard. His destination was the armoury, situated on the third floor of the Palace.

The creaking first-floor stairs were a problem, so he solved it. He slipped out of a large window, left open by a servant to let the cool breeze in, and, digging...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Scorpious Malfoy (United Arab Emirates) published:

Lost

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I take in a huge whiff of the colour-splashed, rolling Kansas meadows in front of me. It feels so good to be out of those jeans and other city-ish clothes. I unpin my blond hair and let it camouflage with the golden wheat plants. My blue shirt and sand-coloured pants blend in with the sky and earth. A soft breeze blows against my face and I relish every moment of it. I spread out my hands to take in all...

Aliadancer7 (United States) published:

A road to where?

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

now-
I wrung my hands, my knees springing up and down with nerves racking all around my body. Gosh, I hadn’t been this nervous since… nope, never. I had never been this nervous before in my life! So many possibilities. Endless scenarios that could go wrong. What if this was it for me? What if I never got to see my brother ever again?
    my brother looked up from his phone at my pale white...

panda! (India) published:

the water stole their faces

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

There’s a ball of fire in my hand and a mirror in front of me. I look translucent, and the room behind me is empty, dark. There’s a soft echo in the chamber I stand in, and I can’t understand the language in which the mirror speaks, but it has hands and legs and arms and a face; it shoots me a look of exasperation and unfurls a word upon its surface: run

Everything around me looks foreign. I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MaddyCopp043 (Australia) published:

The Crooked Cottage

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Wisps of shadow melted off of the dark figure. Tendrils of smoke fluttered around its frame. I’d almost call it beautiful if the floor beneath it wasn’t swaying.
    I knew something was wrong as soon as I entered the crooked cottage. The hairs on the back of my neck stood as a chill wrapped around my spine. The streams of light beaming through the paneled windows gave me no reassurance as it usually would.
    I puff my chest. I will...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MaddyCopp043 (Australia) published:

The Crooked Cottage

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I puff my chest. I will...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MaddyCopp043 (Australia) published:

The Crooked Cottage

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I puff my chest. I will...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MaddyCopp043 (Australia) published:

The Crooked Cottage

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I puff my chest. I will...

Seeking Peer Reviews