All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

1

Hope_ (United States) published:

Sorrow

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The cold air was welcome from the humid heat of the now long past summer. Sorrow threw on a jacket, her favorite, a maroon fleece that was still soft from the lack of washing in the old washing machine. The machine came with the house and nearly tore to shreds everything placed inside. She went back to her bed and sat down in front of her computer. It was an older computer that made a sound like a plane was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Crescent06 (Philippines) published:

The Battle of the Beasts (Draft)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Chapter 1
“The White Wolf”
            Drowsy, anguish, and extremely anxious, trying their best to affect her wellbeing. She adored the pleasant and alluring sight of sunrise out of her window, a routine she cherished every morning of summer. Unfortunately, her waking up was far away from the similar reason, a bad dream must be.
           She agreed to her parents’ volition to stay in a venerable house of their grandparents in their entire vacation, without any dispute. The house...

4

Brielle P. Chor (Singapore) published:

The Secret Society of Plath's 103°

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Sun hats, broad-brimmed and languorous, dip their tips into the sensual redness of the late-evening Sun; another day’s meretricious acts forgiven; as they return to the comfort of homey racks, and anticipate another garrulous litany of tomorrows. The loftiest clock, with one ponderous clack, has casted a penumbra over the eighteenth hour, and yet, a certain young lady remains entrapped within the nook of a lanky street, half-heartedly engaged in tiffin, and small talk.

Resting an arm on the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

syiidahh (Singapore) published:

Warrior

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Tears streamed down my face.
Nothing but fear and anger in my heart as I lay on my bed, thinking about all the things I did wrong.
I regretted not spending more time with her. I regretted not telling her that I love her. I regretted not caring for her enough. I regretted so many things that I did not do while my aunt was alive.

Thinking about it, I sat up and slowly started to breathe in and out,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Hope_ (United States) published:

Sorrow

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The cold air was welcome from the humid heat of the now long past summer. Sorrow threw on a jacket, her favorite, a maroon fleece that was still soft from the lack of washing in the old washing machine. She went back to her bed and sat down in front of her computer. It was an older computer that made a sound like a plane was flying overhead when it was running. It worked though and that was all that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

anemoia by a thread (United States) published:

The Things Which Can Happen in a Bookstore

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

He was starving. Deprived. He needed books like a heroin junkie needed a hit.
    Never had he felt so desperate for black typeface on paper. For those written enchantments. For the inexplicable warmth that emanated from the pages. Reminding him who he was and giving life to dreams of who he might become.
    His legs changed from walking to jogging without consulting him first. White Converse thudded against leaf shadows on the sidewalk. Books for the Soul felt infinitely far....

1

DJH (United States) published:

Focusing on Details: Walking Home Alone

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

As I walk home from the hole-in-the-wall Italian place on 17th, I catch myself wishing that tonight with you had gone differently, even though I told myself that I wouldn't think about it anymore. The wet pavement is passing beneath my feet now, but my mind is still longing to stay in that restaurant with you. I think I must've swallowed a boulder back there, 'cause I can feel it sitting in my stomach, filling the pit that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6
1

Samina (India) published:

Unspoken Agony (PLEASE REVIEW <3

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

We all are STORYTELLERS.

We make up our own world. Remember when we had a fictional character who was our best friend. Similarly, remember how we used to tell daily stories to mum. We live simultaneously with the fictional world. We feel the books by reading them. We don’t write or narrate stories we add life to it. So writers are creatures who make a world of their own. We make connections. We writers are blessed with four eyes. One...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Gabbi published:

Sad story (not true)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

This is my life, I’ll tell you how it went

I’m a only child, I know it seems cool and all but it’s not. It’s sucks. I’m always lonely and I don’t have any friends
 “that girl is so weird” I’ve heard that mumbled thousands of times. It’s always circling in my head, round and round. Like I’m not allowed to forget about it. 
 “they don’t know what weird is” I always wanted to say somet...

Gabbi published:

Sad story (not true)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“they don’t know what weird is” I always wanted to say sometching...

maryse (United Kingdom) published:

No Time like the Present

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The Crows knew it wasn't an ordinary day, just as they know all things to do with time (though few would ever say it).

There was a breath on the air that morning, as though time itself was rolling, stretching, and yawning awake. That was false, of course. Time was subtle and indomitable, Lear mused. No matter where you exposed the cogs, it never ceased.
The wind jostled his feathers insistently as it brushed along the remaining palace gables, whistling...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

KittyPhinex (Ireland) published:

The Light Within A Star

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"If I died what would you do?"
Cless asked Triss as she was drawing on the cave walls with her chalk.
"Why would you die?" Triss responded not looking at Cless as she continued her mural.
"I'm not saying I would die. I'm just saying if I did die what would you do?"
Triss grabbed the yellow chalk, beginning to draw a circle and color it in. "I dunno."
Cless grew quiet and looked away from Triss, staring down at...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Maple Barns (United States) published:

Lupus Maximus

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

It was a fine spring night. I stepped outside our family's mansion in Beaverton, Oregon. Despite only four people living in the house, it has at least eight bedrooms and five bathrooms. Anyway, the day was beautiful, all the cherry trees in our front yard were in full bloom and the pansies that my mother planted for my sister's arrival were soaking up the last rays of the sun for the day. I could smell the warm air coming on...

Aribasx (United Kingdom) published:

Happy Endings

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Isolation strangled the island. Images of blue and gold pressed against Roman’s skin. His mind churned with the sound of waves crashing against the jagged shore. He would never get used to this feeling. Falling asleep beneath a frosty sky speckled with silver, only to wake up with a salty breeze gnawing at his skin as the growing sun eased him awake.
The edges of the island were golden tipped whereas the centre was dense with trees that gave the...

8

Just_A_Memory (United States) published:

The Survivors | Final

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"Auggie!" my younger sister shouted, walking into my room. "Are you ready to go?"

"I'm like... right here," I grumbled, zipping up my suitcase. "No need to scream in my ear." I glanced around my room, looking for any last-second items I may have missed. She didn't say anything, so I looked over at her. Her lips were moving, but no sound was coming out. "Thanks for shutting up," I said cheerfully, flashing my most charming smile at her.

She...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

S.R.FLEISER (Australia) published:

Here and Now

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The kookaburra sits in the old gum tree. The old man sits on his creaking balcony. The dog lies panting under the cooling shade of the house. I trudge down the road, one step after another on the smooth cement. With my too-big school bag tugging at my shoulders, I walk slowly, back arched in fatigue. The buttons on my shirt tug on each other, a long way past being too small. But it’s fine, I don’t need to look...

kittenwizard101 (United States) published:

Orangie's Adventure Ch.1

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

As long as I have lived, I’ve always had someone by my side, from my mother to my stuffed teddy bear. This is the story of that teddy bear about what happened after I left his side.

It had been many years since the last time Orangie helped out Guardian in the battle of Dormammu. He had been wondering Fantasyland ever since, from tavern to tavern he went trying to find jobs and tasks to get himself paid. He...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Orangie's Adventure Ch.1

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

Not_a_tear_just_a_raindrop (United States) published:

deal with it (the novel)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

CHAPTER 1

ring! ring! ring! mia woke up to the sound of her phone ringing. wait a second. she didn't have a phone. she turned her head to look the way the ringing noise was coming from. there, sitting on her desk, was the newest version of the...

1

shruu (India) published:

A full circle

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Aria unwrapped the box lying before her. She ripped off the plastic, threw it on the floor and opened up the box. Her eyes were big with curiosity, eyebrows held up. The box had a pendant and a small letter. The letter read, "There's a famous Japanese myth that says that the face you have now is the face of the person whom you loved the most in your last life". What was that supposed to mean? The pendant...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Cassidy Drew (United Kingdom) published:

Swarm

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

A man exists. Just one, just mine.

He exists only ever to the left of my vision, a mirage of comforting fear. Why he chooses to sit to the side I don't know. Maybe its not his choice. I know all too many I've made weren't mine.

I've stepped out of the building only for a second when a cool wave hits my neck, it sends shots of frozen electric upward. They rake through me violently, as I become exposed...

6
1

The Dreamer (South Africa) published:

The Witch Doctor's Children

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Sunlight crept down through the leaves until it mingled with the moonlight on the forest floor. The crickets had stopped chirping a few moments ago and Estelle was making her way home. She hadn't meant to be out this long but then she didn't mean to do many things. No matter how much she planned, she was begining to see that things rarely went according to plan. She tip-toed around mushrooms, making sure to step right into any rings and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

PhoenixLopez (United States) published:

Survive Just Survive

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Running through the forest, I try to look for my friends. But it’s no use, and my heart splinters beside my aching lungs as I realize they might all be dead. My legs are aching. I slump against a tree and glance around. I think I’ve lost the killer, but just as I start running, my vision blurs, and I slip into the darkness. You are probably wondering who I am and what on earth is going on. Well I'll tell you....

bloop (Hong Kong) published:

to be

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

He ran, blood thrumming through his veins, stomach churning, sweat permeating every inch of his clothing.

It was only when he’d reached the edge of the world, the vast black nothingness of the ocean stretched out as far as the eye could see, illuminated by the slumbering sun further down the horizon, that the underlying guilt decided to dawn on him with a sudden gush of vitriol, searing away at his conscience. The adrenaline rush kicked in, the thought of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

bloop (Hong Kong) published:

to be

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews