All writing published for Cli-Fi

Published writing

4

Rose A. (semi hiatus) (United States) published:

Night Has Fallen (updated)

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

Night has fallen. The lights of my city are switched off. The dome is darkened. The sun always stays out for too long here, so we have to darken the dome to get sleep. It's hard to sleep with the sun out. Almost in unison, the identical houses of my city slowly turn off, plunging my small world into the shadows. I wait until the streetlights finally come on then I get up.
    Before I can do anything, my mother...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Avishi (United States) published:

Hiding from the sun

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

Date: November 9, 2811 AD
Location: Mt Everest (alt 8848 m)
Temperature: 40.7 celsius (106.3 F)

My grandfather leaned back on his rickety chair and watched us children with weary eyes. "Alright, one more story he said." and the children cheered. "Tell us about the sun." someone asked. We had all heard the story of the sun before, or at least what is was before the great disaster, but we all listened with rapt attention wondering about what it could...

Seeking Peer Reviews

9

daisiesonfilm (Philippines) published:

​someday we’ll tell stories about the stars.

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

empty. bleak. it’s three in the morning and the skies are grey.
the golden glitter and midnight blue once painted in our skies are now only flat on laptop screens, immortalized by pixels. the twinkle isn’t the same.  (i don’t think it will ever be.)

my heart aches for when its canvas fabric stretched across the universe, 
framed by golden infinities- an open exhibit i could watch every night.

a baby’s cry from next door cuts through the silence,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

Night Has Fallen (updated)

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

Night has fallen. The lights of my city are switched off, minus a few streetlights to guide night shifters to their posts. The dome is darkened. The sun always stays out for too long here, so we have to darken the dome to get sleep. It's hard to sleep with the sun out.

My mother comes to my bedroom door. "Sweet dreams, Melody," my mom whispers with a smile. I smile back. She hasn't been home for a while. Her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

11
2

KBridget (United States) published:

I Am Dying||review for review||PLEASE REVIEW!!

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

Black waste spreads through my water. My very life force. My water is like their blood. They cannot live when toxin levels in their blood rise, yet they continue to pollute mine. The aquatic life are my blood cells. They are dying along with myself. Choked by the rubbish my children discard. I hear them call to me, "Mother! Save me, Mother. I am dying. I cannot breathe." Alas, I am in no position to save them. My tears do...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Night Has Fallen (updated)

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Night Has Fallen (updated)

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

My mother comes to my bedroom door. "Sweet dreams, Melody," my mom whispers with a smile. I smile back. She hasn't been home for...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Night Has Fallen (updated)

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

mooncake (Canada) published:

An Oceanside Funeral

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

I hadn't visited my late grandmother since I was just a wee little child. Nonetheless, my memories of her remain as intact as ever. I remember the heavenly scent of salty ocean breeze wafting through the rickety wooden windows and into my nose, replicating the delectable smell of salted caramel cookies baking in the oven next to my room. I remember running through the sand, glistening particles sucking my toes in the midday sun, crashing sea waves rushing to embrace...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

poems_of_souls (United States) published:

Final Breath

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

We watched in unison as the timer stopped. The complex machine released the gas. At first, nothing changed. But it wasn't long before the people around us started gasping for air. I thought it was just a toxic gas, but I would soon find out that it was so much more.
    "Come on, we have to go!" He looked at me with scared eyes.
    I just continued to stare at him, completely oblivious to this whole...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Romo714 (United States) published:

Dainsville Deaths

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

We had it worse than anyone in our not-so-homey home Dainsville. It used to be filled with smiles and pats on backs, with threats of sharks being the worse thing we had to deal with. But now, we were just getting started. Dainsville is in the exact middle of it- the farmers, fishermen, and the Bandits. The famine and the fires, the resource wars. The constant struggle, the kings of their own anthills. Trying, fighting, dying for more. The fight...

2

Willowbranch (United States) published:

When the Birds left

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

"You haven't lived if you haven't seen the sky fill with wings as the birds run from a unsee threat." A woman laughs, sitting on the floor.
"That's morbid, May." Another woman responds, rummaging through cupboards.
"Oh Nan, you're just mad because you've never seen a bird!" May teases. Three wide eyed children sit in front of her.
"You haven't seen a bird either!" Nan Huffs, placing dishes in the cupboard.
"No the birds left in 2135 and I was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

Yie (United Kingdom) published:

The Virus is Spreading

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

You need to be careful these days, you never know who has been infected. 

It started ten years ago, the robots began taking over. We've had to go back to the old days; pens and paper, fires for cooking light and warmth, and we tend to use the waterfalls and rivers for washing and swimming. Electricity is now illegal because the reliance on them is what caused this. Technology kept being developed and developed and developed until humanity lost control...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

⋆ katie ⋆ (United States) published:

the hellish blood red sky

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

The skies were an ungodly shade of red, as if Satan himself had risen from Hell just to declare his presence. It wasn't a kind declaration, either, but rather, one rooted in sobbing children and clouds that blazed with the color of vengeance and the smell of ash.

The only official plan of action for anyone was one word: Run. The atmosphere slowly closed in on everyone inside it, threatening to swallow us up with the flames that were simultaneously...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

mooncake (Canada) published:

An Oceanside Funeral

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Flowing Ink (United States) published:

The Floods

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

The floods came with no warning, and as we fled, I couldn't help but wonder: "Why me?"

I suppose humanity had it coming for a long time, but I was still bitter; why wouldn't I be? The arrogance and stupidity of people generations before me was the reason I no longer had a home. The old brick of my apartment building is probably crumbling underwater, completely submerged, along with everything else.

When we saw the water come, we ran for...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Nathaniel G. Williams (United States) published:

The Wave

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

The tsunami hit us head on. Nobody predicted it. Well, meteorologists have trouble predicting anything these days. The flash floods that tore through the town after the tsunami last night devastated us. 100 years ago they predicted this might happen. Now that time has come.
    The government is trying, but it's no use. There's not much they can do. Even the U.N. is struggling to find a solution, let alone get along. They're too...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

SenecaL2007 (United States) published:

Wildfire

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

I watch my dad cock his gun from the window, aiming at the cougar, her pleading green eyes breaking my heart.  She's cornered and the skin on her left side's burned off.  I'm crying, wishing I could convince him to spare her.  She and her cubs wouldn't've showed up in our yard if she still had a home.  The forests have been dried to a crisp and the lightning storms aplenty.  Now much of the forest has been destroyed and these...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

Greta, the writer :) (United States) published:

My Mother and the Storm

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

I used to sit and watch the storms.
The pitter-patter on our clay roof was calming, a pattern of subtle ca-thunk ca-thunk. The rain would brush against my shoulders, like a friend I used to know. But today's storm left me shortchanged.
My nose pressed against the window, longing to be outside. Mother had heard today's storm would be different and she was right.
The ocean raged, cackling at us with fury. Rain poured. I'm sorry, I thought, but...

1

My Mother and the Storm

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

I used to sit and watch the storms.

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

birdsarentreal (United States) published:

How Things Used To Be

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

Mom liked to tell us stories, when we were little, about the way things used to be. Even then, she said, they knew things were headed towards catastrophe. But they continued to live their lives as normal, leaving the warnings unheeded. 

There were cars. I've seen cars, who hasn't? There are still ambulances and fire trucks and government vehicles. But in those days, everyone owned one. My mother even had a driver's license. She told us about how relaxing it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

9
1

SunV (India) published:

I wish that were me

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

"Manasa, are you ready for school?"

"Coming Amma! I need to pack my air filter."

Manasa finished packing her back and met her mother in the front room.

"Books?'

"Check."

"Stationery kit?"

"Check."

"Mask?"

"Check."

"Vision glass?"

"Oxygen tank?"

"Checks. Amma, we need to get more oxygen. Anna is using up all of it. I don't think it will last."

Alisha sighed, "I'm sorry Manasa, but we cannot afford anymore. We must do with what we have."

"Should I start...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

zleyla (United States) published:

starved

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

Dear Diary,

Day 32. I never thought I would miss the squeaky floors of our school gym, or the 2-mile walk along the main road back home, or Math class with Mr. Reed, but here we are. When you haven't been outside in over a month, you tend to miss the everyday things - the things that are emblematic of normalcy, of routine. It's funny, because if you had told me a year ago that come Thanksgiving break I would...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

zleyla (United States) published:

starved

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

Dear Diary,

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

ChocolateKiwi (United States) published:

Middle Of Winter (title idea’s?)

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

I walk outside in my t-shirt and shorts fanning myself with my hand. It’s winter. I see the sun, I never see the sun in mid-January. Never. My favorite season is winter, because well that’s my name. I used to love snow, now there’s none to love. I watched as the temperature rises and nobody not one person did something about it. They all said “that’s how life works. We don’t have to do anything. Nothing server will happen.” And...

Seeking Peer Reviews