All writing published for Speechwriting Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

1

Ishan Agrawal (India) published:

CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE PLANET

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

Our earth is amongst the very few things, or perhaps the only thing, in human history, which has been mistreated since the dawn of civilization by the wise & foolish, young & old, rich & poor, all alike. From the time of huntsman and foragers who were the practitioners of slash and burn agriculture, to the industrial bloom which started in the mid-nineteenth century, we have ceaselessly exploiting the natural world and kept on contaminating it with severe intoxicants. We...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 7 hours ago

1

Ishan Agrawal (India) published:

CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE PLANET

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 7 hours ago

kiaraca (Philippines) published:

Do You Remember?

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

To World Leaders, Presidents, Politicians, CEOs, people in positions of power, and the adults in between, I ask you this, do you remember? 

Do you remember being young? 

When everything appeared larger than life, towering over as it cast its shadow upon you. You tugged your mother’s skirt harder as you spotted yet another shiny figure from the corner of your eye.

The lush summer green grass tickling your barefoot as you dashed across the lawn. You tap your sibling’s...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 15 hours ago

2

Abrianna (United States) published:

Standing Alone

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

On February 22,1943 a twenty-one year old German, named Sophie Scholl walked bravely to her execution. She and her older brother died by guillotine under a blue sky. Her brother Hans's last words rang throughout the courtyard and the world "Long Live Freedom!" They had lived up to their consciences and to Sophie's words, "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone.
  In the midst of a country of evil,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Emma Crow (New Zealand) published:

Generation Z: The Most Powerful Generation

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

‘In a gentle way, you can shake the world.’- Mahatma Gandhi
'Success consists of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm.'- Winston Churchill 
'A winner is a dreamer, who never gives up.'- Nelson Mandela. 

These are the words repeated throughout history. Words of innovation and motivation, spoken by arguably some of the greatest individuals of all time. These are the words that once got us to our feet in protest and are now remembered, sentiments of the passion...

1

mfjm.rizvi (United Kingdom) published:

Terrorism is not the face of Islam

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

Concentration camps for re-education in China. I’m sure everybody here has heard about them- how they are holding Muslim people hostage and forcing them to change their religion. A mosque shooting - killed 51 people on 15th  March in New Zealand, why? because a gunman thought Muslims deserved to die for no apparent reason but their faith. All these stories in the newspaper, but where does this hatred stem from?

Now, there might be a lot of political answers to...

Atiqah (Singapore) published:

Discrimination: Humanity’s Demise

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

Have you wondered why there is an increasing number of youths becoming depressed over the years? Have you also been wondering why some people refuse to help contain the COVID-19 virus? Well, do you want to know the solution? Come closer and I will tell you.
The solution is: remove the horrible egoistic raven-looking thing inside us, which, I am sorry to say, is discrimination.

You might think: Nonsense! How is discrimination relevant? Better yet, what does that have to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Cecilia_Y (United States) published:

Balancing the Scale

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

Tokyo 2020 Olympics, postponed. The National Spelling Bee, canceled. 2020 Robotics World Championship, gone. Calling off these events is devastating to the individuals who have worked tirelessly to attend them, but I can’t help but wonder … if these competitions had never been created, what would the world look like?

We humans are naturally competitive, yet as many of us know from experience, it is not always a healthy trait. David Sarnoff, an American radio and TV pioneer, once...

4

girl in blue (United States) published:

This is why we fight.

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

https://youtu.be/xsVtSj23F2Q

Each day, the sun battles the moon for captivity of the sky. Each day, the mountains battle gravity to stand tall. Each day, people battle hunger to survive. And each day, we stand by and watch them do it.

In elementary school, my teachers always told us to “be the change we wanted to see in the world.” I’m pretty sure they got that off of one of those corny posters that are pasted on classroom walls, but it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

halle_cj (Canada) published:

Firefighters (Children Shouldn't Suffocate)

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

I believe that statistically, fires would be the disaster most survived by children. You see, children are generally lower to the ground, and therefore tend to be safe from most of the danger. The fire, or the part of the problem that will go away the quickest, may be nearest them, however, the smoke rises up high. Children shouldn't suffocate.

If you haven't  already gathered, this is meant as a metaphor for life in our modern world, or at least...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

aseelr10 (United States) published:

Fighting for Their Lives

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

So here’s the situation. I was in eighth grade and I had a history test the next day. There was no way I was going to learn everything about World War II from my notes, so I opted for the next best thing, the History Channel. But, as usual, my six-year-old brother, Mohamed, was hogging the TV by watching Ryan’s Toy Review, you know, the kid on youtube who makes millions of dollars off saying whether he loves or hates...

1

Ailen Marie (United States) published:

The Perspective of an American Trans Teen

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

In the United States, at least 32 transgender individuals have been violently killed so far this year. This year has been particularly difficult. We watch as records are broken in ways that endanger public safety. We see an increase in violence, and we know our country has been hurled into a flaming mass of disarray through repeated malfunctions. I was born in this country, this is my home. I worry about what is to become of our country like everyone...

Seeking Peer Reviews

~Zoe N~ (United States) published:

The Problem Is Now! Final Draft

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

Link to audio: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yc3lmH6g0SoUab2eEKB65jrv9_QMpfA7/view

This world has a lot of problems, and I'm not going to palliate that fact. Inequality, world hunger, poverty, religious conflicts, lack of education, wars, pollution, climate change, and much more. It's all a chain of events, each problem causes another problem, creating a never-ending circle of hatred and fear. If we are to break out of this circle, we have to respect everyone and treat everyone with kindness. If we can do that, then we...
Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Osirisb1 (United States) published:

Choose Life

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

When we think about Pro-lid and Pro-choice, we are sometimes told to chose a specific side. But, would we all be able to choose based upon our own beliefs? Everyone has different beliefs, some of us believe that mothers should be able to choose to keep the baby or end its life, while other of us believe that baby should live even id the circumstances are bad. we have the great responsibility to choose whether the baby will grow...

3

Hazelnut Muffin (United States) published:

The Gift of Dyslexia

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

What do Albert Einstein, Walt Disney, and Thomas Edison have in common? 
The answer is Dyslexia. 

These are only three of many famous Dyslexics. From filmmakers, to NFL quarterbacks. Inventors, actors, authors, artists, singers, chemists, astronomers. 
The Dyslexic mind has changed the world. 

So, what is Dyslexia anyway?
Dyslexia is a learning disorder, which means we have trouble decoding written words, spelling, solving word problems... Etc. However, Dyslexia does not affect the overall intelligence. Infact, the wiring of the Dyslexic...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

valse-scherzo34 (United States) published:

The Shocking Power of Empathy

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

I want you to close your eyes, and imagine a coconut. I would assume you imagined an egg-shaped, brown fruit with a rough shell. This may be what we all define as a coconut, yet we know there is more to a coconut than this. We know that this fruit contains milky, white flesh even when all we see is it’s hard, outer layer. The big thing that we keep forgetting is people have these layers as well. It seems...

1

The Shocking Power of Empathy

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

4

SunV (India) published:

My campaign speech to be the world's future president

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

Spoken word piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIHyDQ-VkWk

Before I start, let me answer the one question I know all of you would have; why exactly am I writing a campaign speech for a position that doesn't even exist, and if it did, I am twenty-one years too young to run for? Well, let's see.

I am running for this position for one reason only; because the life we live is unfair. I am running for this position because I want to make a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

BooWolf476 (#spookified) (Australia) published:

Fractured (Draft 4)

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

A young girl lying on her pink butterfly sheets. Mousy hair falling out of braids. Rapidly beating heart pounding in her chest as her fingers frenziEDLY click through the cages of passwords. Trapping the treasure of an Instagram page. Eyes open in wonder as she learns how to improve… How to get a guy, how to transform her body, and the latest makeup trend. Her idols grin up at her through sparkling filters surrounded by cat memes. Whispering to her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Karin R (Australia) published:

Superheroes

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Thor; who came to your mind when you heard the word Superheroes? Well, whoever you thought of, wipe their names off your mental chalkboard, and instead, let me tell, no, show you who the real superheroes are.
In light of recent events, we’ve come to realise that there are superheroes in your everyday life and you don’t need a bat symbol to summon them.
We have all struggled this year. Whether that be through the Australian...

4

Chloe :) <3 (Australia) published:

When I look to the world ... [FINAL]

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/hotgRoUT5Aw

When I look to the world, I am filled with deep sorrow when I think of what the future entails. We see the leaders of our countries, so consumed by politics that, they fail to come together but rather choose to bicker and argue about trivial things. How can I be hopeful if our own leaders cannot get along?

When I look to the world, I see that only 127 women, hold seats in the United...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Serena Ren (United States) published:

Hesitations

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

“I’m not graceful enough.” That is one thing I carried in my mind for many years up until I was eleven. From a young age, I saw ballet performances in awe, my mom always asked me if I wanted to try, yet I shook my head, “No-no-no,” I said, “Although it’s beautiful, I just don’t think it suits me.” Yet sensations in me did in fact want to be on stage dancing, at the same time, there were too many...

Serena Ren (United States) published:

Hesitations

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

“I’m not graceful enough.” That is one thing, I, Serena Ren, carried in my mind for many years up until I was eleven. From a young age, I saw ballet performances in awe, my mom always asked me if I wanted to try, yet I shook my head, “No-no-no,” I said, “Although it’s beautiful, I just don’t think it suits me.” Yet sensations in me did in fact want to be on stage dancing, at the same time, there were...

19

Anne Blackwood (United States) published:

Camouflage, Cover, Conceal: The Makeup Trap (link in footnotes)

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

I want all of you to look at me. Examine my features for just a moment. What do you see? Be as critical as you want to be. Maybe you see my acne, red spots that flare up when I get stressed or don’t get enough sleep. You could be noticing that I look preeetty tired.
    Or maybe you looked at me through a different lens. You might have thought, I wish my skin was a fair as hers...

Bhavya's Treasure (Bewitching Tombstone #Queenie's Halloween) (India) published:

To those running away from their roots!

PROMPT: Speechwriting Competition 2020

I hail from the land of sages where wisdom flows in bumpy streets or is left untouched in dusty libraries, housing mounts of Sanskrit scriptures. We Indians feel immense pride in bragging about our ancient scholars: Sushruta, Father of surgery, who developed 300 surgical procedures in 600 BC, Aryabhatta, the great Indian mathematician-astronomer who blessed the world with the number Zero, Bhaskaracharya, Charaka and countless other intellectuals. But do we know in which language their precious knowledge is engraved?

That...

Seeking Peer Reviews