This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Default avatar writing assignment big

World Cup Fever

Full Details

Guiding ideas

Use these Guiding Ideas to stimulate your thinking about the prompt. Check out the rubric below for more details.

*This year's World Cup is in Brazil. Write an article about Brazil and all its sites and attractions for a travel magazine. Perhaps you're lucky enough to have traveled to Brazil, or perhaps you've done your own research. Either way, we want you to describe what it's like to be in the country everyone's talking about.

*Who is your favorite player in this year's World Cup? Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo has 85 million fans on Facebook—perhaps you are one of them? Or do you prefer a player who is not (quite) as popular? Write an article for a Sports Magazine about your favorite player.

*In 2015, Canada will host the FIFA Women's World Cup. Women's sports have never received the media coverage that men's sports do. Do you think this will ever change? Write an article that addresses the inequality between men's and women's sports.
Or your article may be inspired by any other aspect of the World Cup. It's up to you!

Suggested length

250+ words

Prizes

We'll award Amazon vouchers worth $100 to the best essay, $50 to two runners-up and $50 for the best peer review - all chosen by our team of expert writers.

Competition Winners

This Challenge is now closed but you are still more than welcome to respond to this prompt! Congratulations to everyone who participated.