This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Heart Places

Full Details

The tiny coffee shop huddled among the huge city buildings. Washed out under the overcast sky, it hunched against the drizzle. Unlike the outside, the interior was warm and cheery, with bright lights and walls the colour of supermarket oranges. The smell of chamomile dust and flaky croissants filled the air. The door swung behind new entrants and customers paused between conversations, welcoming one another in from the cold breeze outside.

Does this scene conjure any memories, dear writers? 

We’ve found ourselves in a time when many of our favourite places have hung up their ‘Sorry, we’re CLOSED’, signs. Places that may have been a writer’s community hub, a perfect people-watching platform, or a spot where everyday life sounds served as needed white noise.

Bustling, busy and noisy? Or simple, serene and peaceful? Writers, what's a place you’re yearning for during this time of prolonged closure? Take yourself back there in your mind’s eye. What do you see, smell, hear, desire? 

[This prompt was designed by Community Ambassador BeTheChange18.]