This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Writing Streak Challenge - Week 8

Full Details

Welcome to our Weekly Writing Streak Challenge! This is our LAST WEEKLY CHALLENGE! Complete it for a chance to be featured on our Instagram!

HOW IT WORKS

Monday - Friday
  • Go to Start Writing, then hit the “Free Write” button. 
  • Write your response.
  • Title your piece “Writing Streak,” followed by the week and day (for example: “Writing Streak Week 8 Day 1,” or “Writing Streak Week 8 Day 3”). 
Friday 
  • When you’ve completed your five daily responses, come back to this prompt, and hit “Start Writing”
  • Title your piece “Challenge Completed.” 
  • In the body, copy and paste the text from all five of your pieces, being sure to title each piece as Day 1, Day 2, etc.
See an example here!

WEEK 8
DREAM DELIVERY

Poet Mathias Svalina once said, “Inside the containment of writing is when I feel closest to being human.” Svalina is the creator of the Dream Delivery Service, a business that delivers “personalized prose-poems,” or “dreams” to customers. Every morning, before dawn, Svalina rides his bike through the night, placing “dreams” (surreal, fantastical, or bizarre prose poems) into subscriber’s mailboxes, and as one of Svalina’s subscribers once said about his work, “It was like somebody else was writing my subconscious...”

Here’s an excerpt from one Svalina’s “dreams” that he shared with the Denver Post:

You’re in the city for just a day, and so you buy a new red hat and wear it, and it is perfect for the day. At the end of the day, just before you board the train to leave the city, you toss the red hat into the trash. You make a wish. One must always make a wish when one tosses a hat in the trash.

For this challenge, dear writers, write your own “dream”—one for each night of the week. Your dreams should be told in second person, in 300 words or less. As you “write your subconscious,” consider the many dimensions of your dreamscapes: You might use symbolism to convey a deeper meaning or message; and the scenery, events, and characters can be as outlandish as you’d like, as long as they are descriptive enough that your dream’s recipients (aka us readers) can step inside your dreamworld. So, dear writers, let your imaginations run wild!