All writing published for Historical Fiction Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

bookmagic (United States) published:

The Tragedy of Catherine D’Arc du Lys

PROMPT: Historical Fiction Competition 2020

"I had another vision today," Joan of Arc said in a hushed voice. She and Catherine were hiding in the attic. Catherine was mending the hem on her dress. Sewing helped calm her, it pushed the sickness away, kept it a secret. She watched Joan's warm, brown eyes flickering in time with the candle she was holding and her dark brown hair was messy with leaves and sticks as if she had run very fast through the bushes....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

tiny_bee (Sweden) published:

The sky has started to colour

1964, Minamata, Kumamoto, Japan

Bells on a door somewhere were chiming. Worker were departing home. Voices and laughter travelled with the sea breeze. Young fishermen were going home to their wives, cheery of the prospects of fishing again. A group of students sneaked past the telephone operator office to look at the fashionably daring operator-girls in chequered miniskirts and yellow capris.  All against the backdrop of the factory, thought Fumiko. She too was walking home from a day’s work,...

1

Rose A. (semi hiatus) (United States) published:

Abagail's Diary

Date: January 13, 1942

Dear Diary, 

It’s been a little over a month since the attack on that military base. The United States has joined the war. Uncle Amos and I were playing cards and listening to the radio when it happened. He was teaching me some American card games when H. V. Kaltenborn came on. Uncle Amos was incredibly angry. His face got red and he began yelling in German- even though we had agreed to speak only English...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

I like to write (United States) published:

The Letter

"Frederick, do you have to go?"   
"I'm sorry Jenny, I do. Once you've been drafted, you have to go. I promise to write every week." 
 "I'll write too. You'll always be my big brother." 
 "You'll always be my little sis." Jenny, Frederick, and their dad held each other tightly, not wanting to let go.
                                       ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

GalaxyWriter (United States) published:

We The Women

“SFD”.. “SFD”... The crowd cheers as I walk up to the podium. The year is 1898. I lift my chin up high and square my shoulders. I hold my head up with pride as I receive the nation’s highest-ever civilian award for my social reform movements for women's rights. 

Ever since my girlhood, I was told the contrary. As a woman, there was only one path: marry, have children, keep house for your husband, raise the children, get those children...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Erika Quinn (Australia) published:

Curiosity Kills the Princess

1222 A.D. medieval times

“Eat up my dear, you need to strengthen your bones before the journey,” Aunt Myrtle smiled at me with kind eyes. I was about to be married off to a prince in Italy. My family was poor. We couldn’t afford much. We would eat rice for every meal and if we were lucky, we could afford some pork. My parents met a young man when they went to Rome last year. Turns out he had...

6

SunV (India) published:

The world is reopening; Brace yourselves

20 / Enero / 1920

Dear mi corazón,

It's been three days since no report of the flu has come. Mami has completely recovered from the flu. Bella is also recovering. She is still very weak, but the doctors say she will get better, and she won't go away like Papa.

Mami said that if all goes well, and no more flu cases are reported, they will slowly start to reopen everything. That means I can go...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Arrow/ (United States) published:

The Star

War soiled the once beautiful streets of Kraków. The place she had been born and raised in now made her wear the bright yellow star on her shirt. Once a beautiful sign The Star of David now was a sign of death, a sign she had once been so proud of was now possibly what got her killed me. She didn't know what exactly what was happing but all she needed to know was it couldn't be anything good. As she walked up...

Arrow/ (United States) published:

The Star

Seeking Peer Reviews

6

dottybrain (Ireland) published:

An Chúilfhionn

"An bhfaca tú an chúilfhionn 's í ag dul ar na bóithre?"

Oh have you seen my fair haired girl walking the roads?

The tune sails inside my head, high and slow. It spins me around as I make my way along the field, homeward bound and duty free, no longer a slave of the classroom where Miss Mulcaghy teaches me. It is only myself between the flat blue sky and the flat green field, so I fill the space...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Katoria123 (United States) published:

My First Concert

As I scanned my customer's items, I couldn't help but think of my exciting day that was waiting for me tomorrow, I was going to see Whitney Houston, I just couldn't wait to be told to clock out and go home, although I only made 3.25 an hour and I needed every cent I could get. I was so in my head, I didn't realize that the customer was handing me her money to pay for her items until I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

12

wavewriter (United States) published:

Stepping Up to the Plate

I was walking home with Betty after school one day in late May, our satchels laden with books. Like usual, we passed by Wrigley Field on the way to Betty's house for a snack as we had done so every day for four years, ever since we started high school. 
   I heard shouting and laughing from inside the field, the sounds of many people. I assumed it was the baseball team starting up practice again, except it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

musicmaker (United States) published:

Sacrifice/Review for Review?

It was nothing like I’d expected. There were no huge pipes with bubbling blue liquid. There were no flashing lights or whirling noises. I guess it was pretty much the opposite of what I’d imagined. But my envisionment hadn’t been anything out of the ordinary. I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t think of a blue or purple vortex or something equally as bizarre when they heard the words “Time Machine”. But it was nothing fantastic, just a rusty old...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
2

Shmelf (United Kingdom) published:

History Competition

I cannae believe it. It was only a wee accident, nobody’s fault. But here I am, back on the isle of Tiree, my home, where I'd always hoped to come back to, but this wasn't what I wanted to bring me here. And I feel a wee bit stupid, sitting, talking to a bird, but I can't talk to anybody else. And you're probably from a long way away, in all those hot countries, so I'll tell you a wee...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

s_kothari23 (United States) published:

Jesse Bean

August, 1945, Brooklyn

Jesse Bean felt his muscles twitch sharply. Across his gaze stood a leather swivel chair wielding a husky white man. Mr. Richards lit his fourth cigar of the day. 
“You got me, Jesse?” 
    Mr. Richards pulled the cigar from his chapped lips slowly, expecting compliance. It was the least a black man could do. Adjusting his spectacles, Mr. Richards leaned idly back, waiting.
    No answer.
    “Look, Jesse. I know it’s tough an’ all, son,...

1

Kaylee Nuño (United States) published:

This Beautiful World

On the surface, La Havre seems like a quiet, quaint town filled with ordinary people living their mediocre lives. Children running amok racing one another to see who will reach the port’s ships first. Their poor mothers worried to death and quickly chasing after. The children trying to best not be caught for they know there is a beating awaiting them. Wives tending to their homes, carrying out their daily tasks. Cleaning, washing, cooking, looking after the children, a never-ending...

Seeking Peer Reviews

s_kothari23 (United States) published:

Jesse Bean

August, 1945, Brooklyn
“Ya got me, Jesse?” 
    No answer.
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Mason03 (United States) published:

The Margianain march

The sound of shuffling feet and manacles grinding together made a grim cadence for the legionaries marching through the desert.  Ten thousand prisoners in rough tunics walked through the morning heat: flanked by Parthian horsemen.  Gaius Maximus--once a soldier, always a Roman--walked with them.  All the prisoners were Roman, the broken remnant taken captive after the debacle near Carrhae.
    Gaius passed a rough, rocky landscape, dotted with tufts of shrub-brush.  Occasional vineyards, and clumps of olive...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

nessieisforreal (United States) published:

Something Else to Drink

Broad Street, London, England.

August 10, 1854.

Dear Diary,
    He came into my mother's sewing shop where I was working right before closing one night. He wandered in looking lost and confused, running his hand through his dark brown hair. After a moment of him staring blankly at a wall of floral fabrics, I asked if I could help him.
    He whirled around and looked at me. "I was uh... looking for a gift for someone."
   ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

MadisonGuardado (United States) published:

As Normal as it Can Get

December 13th, 1841. I was stripped from my home and dragged into Philadelphia’s hospital for the insane. I was locked up for a crime I didn’t commit, but I have no choice but to go along with the process. Fighting will only give them more of a reason to keep me here. 
On the outside of the building, there is a lush garden and the hospital looks like it was practically made for a blue blood. How about the inside?...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Alice Hu (Canada) published:

The Coldest Winter

Shivering, the girl yanks her scarf tighter, rushing down the icy lane on her old roadster bicycle her father gave her. 

"I have to get to the store before it's too late. I can't let Mama and Sophie go hungry." She resolves, furrowing her thick brows in determination. This has been the coldest winter since the start of this hell in 1933.

Flying down the trodden road with the branches of the surrounding trees flaunting their icy grasps at her,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

sherry171 (Canada) published:

Flourish and Fight

The new semester brought a lingering sting of summer and smoke. Between the swathes of wooded pine and swastika-plastered walls, the whirrs of army plane engines; few noticed the beige blur of a young woman dashing across campus, striking a man on the shoulder.

Hans spun at the touch, startled, fidgeting with his tight jacket cuffs. “Sophie? You're talking to me agai-?”
“How could you not tell me you were in the resistance? As the founding member, no less!”...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

elliem (Canada) published:

Sink

The ship sunk after four days. I loved her after one.

Ice water, tangy with salt, rushes down the corridors. Yellow light flickers in the lamps dotting the hall.
    They said this ship would survive anything. Because they lied, I'll survive in its place.
    I pull up my skirts and wade through the rising seawater as fast as my shoes, laden with water and heavy, allow.
    “Ai!” I scream, shivering.

I first saw Ai at dinner....
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Kiwi Corner (United States) published:

I'm Free

The walls seemed especially crowded today. Pottery and floral paintings were embellishing the inner hall, the shrine was glowing with golden Han linings I was learning to trace, and my feet were being extra polished today. Amah frantically scrubbed and peeled off my deteriorating skin while clipping my toenails to small wings, folding back white binds for my toes to meet my soles. 

Everything was prepared to remind me my future was beginning. I already knew what was gonna happen,...

1

Taylor West (United States) published:

The Red House

Sundays were Mel’s favorite day of the week, because Sundays belonged to the Red House.
It was a tall, leering structure, with more windows than Mel had ever been able to count. It wasn’t actually red- at least, not anymore. Over time it had devolved into a quilt-work of colors splattered across the wood, some places bright as though they had been painted yesterday and others worn and chipped.
The rooms swelled out of it. It was a house bursting...