All writing published for Historical Fiction Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

3

SunV (India) published:

The world is reopening; Brace yourselves

PROMPT: Historical Fiction Competition 2020

20 / Enero / 1920

Dear mi corazón,

It's been three days since no report of the flu has come. Mami has completely recovered from the flu. Bella is also recovering. She is still very weak, but the doctors say she will get better, and she won't go away like Papa.

Mami said that if all goes well, and no more flu cases are reported, they will slowly start to reopen everything. That means I can go...

Seeking Peer Reviews

11 minutes ago

2

Arrow/ (United States) published:

The Star

War soiled the once beautiful streets of Kraków. The place she had been born and raised in now made her wear the bright yellow star on her shirt. Once a beautiful sign The Star of David now was a sign of death, a sign she had once been so proud of was now possibly what got her killed me. She didn't know what exactly what was happing but all she needed to know was it couldn't be anything good. As she walked up...

1 day ago

Arrow/ (United States) published:

The Star

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

dottybrain (Ireland) published:

An Chúilfhionn

"An bhfaca tú an chúilfhionn 's í ag dul ar na bóithre?"

Oh have you seen my fair haired girl walking the roads?

The tune sails inside my head, high and slow. It spins me around as I make my way along the field, homeward bound and duty free, no longer a slave of the classroom where Miss Mulcaghy teaches me. It is only myself between the flat blue sky and the flat green field, so I fill the space...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Katoria123 (United States) published:

My First Concert

As I scanned my customer's items, I couldn't help but think of my exciting day that was waiting for me tomorrow, I was going to see Whitney Houston, I just couldn't wait to be told to clock out and go home, although I only made 3.25 an hour and I needed every cent I could get. I was so in my head, I didn't realize that the customer was handing me her money to pay for her items until I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

wavewriter (United States) published:

Stepping Up to the Plate

I was walking home with Betty after school one day in late May, our satchels laden with books. Like usual, we passed by Wrigley Field on the way to Betty's house for a snack as we had done so every day for four years, ever since we started high school. 
   I heard shouting and laughing from inside the field, the sounds of many people. I assumed it was the baseball team starting up practice again, except it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

musicmaker (United States) published:

Sacrifice/Review for Review?

It was nothing like I’d expected. There were no huge pipes with bubbling blue liquid. There were no flashing lights or whirling noises. I guess it was pretty much the opposite of what I’d imagined. But my envisionment hadn’t been anything out of the ordinary. I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t think of a blue or purple vortex or something equally as bizarre when they heard the words “Time Machine”. But it was nothing fantastic, just a rusty old...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
2

Shmelf (United Kingdom) published:

History Competition

I cannae believe it. It was only a wee accident, nobody’s fault. But here I am, back on the isle of Tiree, my home, where I'd always hoped to come back to, but this wasn't what I wanted to bring me here. And I feel a wee bit stupid, sitting, talking to a bird, but I can't talk to anybody else. And you're probably from a long way away, in all those hot countries, so I'll tell you a wee...

Seeking Peer Reviews

s_kothari23 (United States) published:

Jesse Bean

August, 1945, Brooklyn

Jesse Bean felt his muscles twitch sharply. Across his gaze stood a leather swivel chair wielding a husky white man. Mr. Richards lit his fourth cigar of the day. 
“You got me, Jesse?” 
    Mr. Richards pulled the cigar from his chapped lips slowly, expecting compliance. It was the least a black man could do. Adjusting his spectacles, Mr. Richards leaned idly back, waiting.
    No answer.
    “Look, Jesse. I know it’s tough an’ all, son,...

1

Kaylee Nuño (United States) published:

This Beautiful World

On the surface, La Havre seems like a quiet, quaint town filled with ordinary people living their mediocre lives. Children running amok racing one another to see who will reach the port’s ships first. Their poor mothers worried to death and quickly chasing after. The children trying to best not be caught for they know there is a beating awaiting them. Wives tending to their homes, carrying out their daily tasks. Cleaning, washing, cooking, looking after the children, a never-ending...

Seeking Peer Reviews

s_kothari23 (United States) published:

Jesse Bean

August, 1945, Brooklyn
“Ya got me, Jesse?” 
    No answer.
Seeking Peer Reviews

Mason03 (United States) published:

The Margianain march

The sound of shuffling feet and manacles grinding together made a grim cadence for the legionaries marching through the desert.  Ten thousand prisoners in rough tunics walked through the morning heat: flanked by Parthian horsemen.  Gaius Maximus--once a soldier, always a Roman--walked with them.  All the prisoners were Roman, the broken remnant taken captive after the debacle near Carrhae.
    Gaius passed a rough, rocky landscape, dotted with tufts of shrub-brush.  Occasional vineyards, and clumps of olive...

Seeking Peer Reviews

nessieisforreal (United States) published:

Something Else to Drink

Broad Street, London, England.

August 10, 1854.

Dear Diary,
    He came into my mother's sewing shop where I was working right before closing one night. He wandered in looking lost and confused, running his hand through his dark brown hair. After a moment of him staring blankly at a wall of floral fabrics, I asked if I could help him.
    He whirled around and looked at me. "I was uh... looking for a gift for someone."
   ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

MadisonGuardado (United States) published:

As Normal as it Can Get

December 13th, 1841. I was stripped from my home and dragged into Philadelphia’s hospital for the insane. I was locked up for a crime I didn’t commit, but I have no choice but to go along with the process. Fighting will only give them more of a reason to keep me here. 
On the outside of the building, there is a lush garden and the hospital looks like it was practically made for a blue blood. How about the inside?...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Alice Hu (Canada) published:

The Coldest Winter

Shivering, the girl yanks her scarf tighter, rushing down the icy lane on her old roadster bicycle her father gave her. 

"I have to get to the store before it's too late. I can't let Mama and Sophie go hungry." She resolves, furrowing her thick brows in determination. This has been the coldest winter since the start of this hell in 1933.

Flying down the trodden road with the branches of the surrounding trees flaunting their icy grasps at her,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

sherry171 (Canada) published:

Flourish and Fight

The new semester brought a lingering sting of summer and smoke. Between the swathes of wooded pine and swastika-plastered walls, the whirrs of army plane engines; few noticed the beige blur of a young woman dashing across campus, striking a man on the shoulder.

Hans spun at the touch, startled, fidgeting with his tight jacket cuffs. “Sophie? You're talking to me agai-?”
“How could you not tell me you were in the resistance? As the founding member, no less!”...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

elliem (Canada) published:

Sink

The ship sunk after four days. I loved her after one.

Ice water, tangy with salt, rushes down the corridors. Yellow light flickers in the lamps dotting the hall.
    They said this ship would survive anything. Because they lied, I'll survive in its place.
    I pull up my skirts and wade through the rising seawater as fast as my shoes, laden with water and heavy, allow.
    “Ai!” I scream, shivering.

I first saw Ai at dinner....
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

kiwii corner (United States) published:

I'm Free

The walls seemed especially crowded today. Pottery and floral paintings were embellishing the inner hall, the shrine was glowing with golden Han linings I was learning to trace, and my feet were being extra polished today. Amah frantically scrubbed and peeled off my deteriorating skin while clipping my toenails to small wings, folding back white binds for my toes to meet my soles. 

Everything was prepared to remind me my future was beginning. I already knew what was gonna happen,...

1

Nova Cassidy (United States) published:

The Red House

Sundays were Mel’s favorite day of the week, because Sundays belonged to the Red House.
It was a tall, leering structure, with more windows than Mel had ever been able to count. It wasn’t actually red- at least, not anymore. Over time it had devolved into a quilt-work of colors splattered across the wood, some places bright as though they had been painted yesterday and others worn and chipped.
The rooms swelled out of it. It was a house bursting...

1

Gryffin (United States) published:

Letters from War

“Mrs. Shima? A visitor's here for you.”

My head turned away from the window towards the doorway. A young, blond woman in bell-bottoms and a crop top was standing next to a small girl wearing a tie-dye shirt. 

"Can I let her in?" Janet asked, but before I could reply, the girl had already strode in. The young woman gave me a look and shrugged. "Have fun!" she called out as she left the room.

The girl stood still, but...

Seeking Peer Reviews

ILMC (United States) published:

Death Was Waiting in Cartagena

Death Was Waiting in Cartagena
By Iago Macknik-Conde

SS Castillo de Olite

Waves crash on each other as a sixteen-ship convoy cruises through Mediterranean waters. Onboard the S.S. Castillo de Olite, one of the ships sent to bolster Franco’s falangist offensive in Cartagena, is Enrique, a lowly corporal in the artillery division. The war is almost over, and the mood on the ship is almost festive. Enrique daydreams about his girlfriend Josefina, back in Las Jubias, and startles when...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Cici'sTimes (United States) published:

The Secret Hmong War

Mekong River, Laos - 1975

The sound of rapid gunfire echoed throughout the dense jungle.  The rickety, bamboo shed threatened to collapse above them. Keej trembled, clutching his newborn sister, Maiv, in his blistered hands.  Through cracks in the bamboo walls, Pathet Lao soldiers could be seen approaching.  
"Run.  Don't stop.  Don't look back.  If I'm not at the river, take the raft and leave,” commanded Suab as she kissed her son on the forehead. "Now go."
Keej nodded,...

1

jamuwu (United States) published:

Umiko and Runami

Her ears rang like cicadas at night, but not a single muscle pulled from her arm on her chest, far from clutching her ear. Through the smoking incense, she eyed the intersecting lines of wood and its opaque screen. Despite the veiling dark, a silhouette traced itself faintly behind the frame.   

A tiny slit appeared, and conscious of its movement, the frame slided open. She widened her eyes. Pattering roof and rattling wood replaced the cicadas on her ears....

ABitOfMischief (United States) published:

Time Management

For the longest span of my unremarkable life, I had been under the impression that given enough time, we could achieve anything. 

If, a foolish, younger version of me was prone to thinking, if only there was a brush with immortal flames. My occupation was not a fulfilling one, which allowed daydreams of indigo elixirs to run rampant while I ran the plow, turning my arms to drooping lettuce leaves after the day was done.

Master had...

7

Asteraceae (United States) published:

To Remember Love is to Know Pain

It was late afternoon when the mail was delivered. “Dorothy? You’ve got mail, darling.” My mother called. As I hopped down the stairs, I saw her waiting at the landing, holding a small, pale envelope. I plucked the letter from her long fingers and gently opened the seal. It’s red stamp gave a slightly sinister ambiance. The letter read, 
Dear Miss Sanders, 
Our deepest condolences at the loss of your brother, Georgie Sanders. He was an excellent man, and served...

Seeking Peer Reviews