This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Writing Streak Challenge - Week 6

Full Details

Welcome to our Weekly Writing Streak Challenge! Through September 4, we'll post a new writing challenge for you to complete each day. If you complete the challenge, you'll have a chance to be featured on our Instagram!

HOW IT WORKS

Each Monday, we’ll post a new challenge for you to complete each day of the week. To participate, do the following:

Monday - Friday
  • Go to Start Writing, then hit the “Free Write” button. 
  • Write your response.
  • Title your piece “Writing Streak,” followed by the week and day (for example: “Writing Streak Week 6 Day 1,” or “Writing Streak Week 6 Day 3”). 
Friday 
  • When you’ve completed your five daily responses, come back to this prompt, and hit “Start Writing”
  • Title your piece “Challenge Completed.” 
  • In the body, copy and paste the text from all five of your pieces, being sure to title each piece as Day 1, Day 2, etc.
See an example here!

WEEK 6
TWEETS OF SELF-RESPECT

“There are other measures of self-respect for a man [or woman!],” Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, “than the number of clean shirts he [or she] puts on every day.”

This challenge is simple, dear writers. Each day of the week, share with us in a tweet-length post (280 characters or less) one important source of self-respect… for you! Acting as a role model? Reading transcendentalist poetry? Writing (at least one sentence) every day? Helping your mum? Composting? 

As you reflect on the daily rituals or tasks that bring you a sense of worth, consider which of these are derived internally vs. externally. Some (like receiving a good grade) might be outside sources, while others (like writing in your journal or meditating) are not dependent on anyone or anything but yourself.