This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

A Bird with Wings

Full Details

John Lewis will be remembered throughout the world as the civil rights hero who secured voting rights for millions of Americans, and who set an example throughout his life for how to fight for democracy. “Democracy is not a state,” he recently wrote. “It is an act.” As a committed arts advocate, Lewis saw creative expression as intrinsic to building a more just world: 

“Without the arts,” he said, “without music, without dance, without drama, without photography, the civil rights movement would have been like a bird without wings." 

In an op-ed Lewis wrote just before his death, he spoke directly to you:

“When historians pick up their pens to write the story of the 21st century, let them say that it was your generation who laid down the heavy burdens of hate at last and that peace finally triumphed over violence, aggression and war. So I say to you, walk with the wind, brothers and sisters, and let the spirit of peace and the power of everlasting love be your guide.”

Dear writers, in honor of John Lewis’s life, tell us how your art—from words to song to paint to dance—helps you engage with the social justice issues of our time.