This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Writing Streak Challenge -- Week 5

Full Details

Henry David Thoreau’s journals are full of his descriptions of trees—many of them in lines of metaphor:

A great green feather stuck in the ground
A harp upon which the wind makes music
A traveler bending to the storm
Old citizens of the town
An athlete that shows its well-developed muscles

For this challenge, dear writers, try your hand at describing a tree using a metaphor—a different one each day. In other words, compare a tree (or trees) to something (an object, a feeling, a place, a sound) to which it is not literally applicable, in order to give the reader a richer understanding of the tree you are describing. 

The point of metaphor is finding a fresh way to describe something that's been written about a million times before. Suddenly, as the reader, we aren’t visualizing just another tree in the woods, but a particular tree, living and unique. Try going outside and finding a tree to describe—observe the specific shapes, colors, and textures of the tree and its leaves, blossoms and branches. Consider what sound this tree makes in the wind, the way it smells, how its foliage feels between your fingers. Play with metaphors until you land on one that seems right, offering this tree to your readers in a new way. 

(More of Thoreau’s metaphors can be found in the Harper’s Magazine article “Into the Woods,” or in Richard Higgins book Thoreau and the Language of Trees.)