This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Writing Streak Challenge - Week 2

Full Details

Welcome to our Weekly Writing Streak Challenge! Through September 4, we'll post a new writing challenge for you to complete each day. If you complete the challenge, you'll have a chance to be featured on our Instagram!

HOW IT WORKS

Each Monday, we’ll post a new challenge for you to complete each day of the week. To participate, do the following:

Monday - Friday
  • Go to Start Writing, then hit the “Free Write” button. 
  • Write your response.
  • Title your piece “Writing Streak,” followed by the week and day (for example: “Writing Streak Week 2 Day 1,” or “Writing Streak Week 2 Day 3”). 
Friday 
  • When you’ve completed your five daily responses, come back to this prompt, and hit “Start Writing”
  • Title your piece “Challenge Completed.” 
  • In the body, copy and paste the text from all five of your pieces, being sure to title each piece as Day 1, Day 2, etc.
See an example here!

WEEK 2 CHALLENGE
PAINT SWATCH

Did you know that before colors had names, they were referred to by essence? Black may have been called dull, dead, or dreary; while yellow may have been lively or loud.

Now we of course have names for our basic colors, but look inside a clothes catalogue or visit an art store, and new color names are splashed about: Peanut shell, burlap, robin’s egg, yam, celery, lipstick… 

As writers, we are forever looking for fresh ways to describe the world. What better way to focus our lenses than to add nuance to the color wheel? For this Challenge, dear writers, invent a new color name each day of the week. Please provide a description of its essence, as well as the new name.

Here’s an example: Pinewood is the color of a warm welcome in late Autumn, with the smell of biscuits wafting from the oven.