Dust Jacket

Full Details

Hello Writers!

The dust jacket—that is, the outer cover of a book—is often where we find out all the details about our favorite authors. Using the prompts below as a guide, start thinking about what you'd include on the dust jacket of a book written by YOU. 

Whether you are new to WtW or a longtime writer, this vibrant, caring community of fellow writers eagerly awaits your response! Below, you’ll find three-prompts-in-one. Feel free to respond to any or all of them, or perhaps you’ll write a peer review instead, or simply read and comment on the published responses.

PROMPT #1: WRITER ID
  1. What is your favorite genre to write? 
  2. What is your favorite genre to read? 
  3. What draws you to the WtW community? 
  4. What do you find most challenging about writing?
  5. Most exhilarating?  
  6. What is one goal that you have for yourself while here? 
(Copy and paste these questions into the writing field, and respond below each.)

PROMPT #2: ALL IN A NAME

“Names are the sweetest and most important sound in any language,” wrote Dale Carnegie. 
We hail from all around the globe, dear writers, with names reflecting our language, geography, family, culture, religion, and much much more.

For this prompt, tell us the story of your name: its history, its meaning, how it was chosen for you, or your own feelings about its sound or popularity. You may write about your first, middle, or last name.
Need more ideas?
  • Were you named after someone?
  • Have you always been called a nickname?
  • Do you know anyone with the same name?
  • Does your name have historical significance?
  • Do you have any funny facts or stories about your name?

PROMPT #3: YOU IN THREES

Step One:
Copy and paste the following questions into the writing field. 
  1. Three communities to which you belong (these can be unusual).   
  2. Three places you learn well (these can be unusual).   
  3. Three adjectives your peers would use to describe you.
  4. Three adjectives your family would use.
  5. Three adjectives you would use.
  6. Three beliefs you hold.   
  7. Three sources of comfort.   
  8. Three instincts that serve you well.   
  9. Three responsibilities you shoulder.   
  10. Three things of which you are proud.   
  11. Three qualities that make your life singular and/or unusual.
Step Two:
Tell us about you! Spend 15-20 minutes making lists of threes. Be specific in your responses, with enough detail that your best friend couldn’t answer the same way. As always when writing on the internet, remember to not share identifying details.