All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2015. See Competition

Published writing

1

Amisha (India) published:

Florice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

The girl watched from the shadows as the Tribol devoured the last of the woman in a matter of seconds. Her heart was beating faster than wheels of a speeding train and her breathing became slow. The woman's scream rang in her ears. Her body had wanted to fidget, every instinct telling her to move, to do something, preferably to run away, but she had waited. Listening. Watching. And now she regretted it.
 She had heard about Tribols,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Crys Partridge (United States) published:

Black and White

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Old teacher called the first part of school “Meditation.” We called it naptime. Pretty teacher called the next part of school “Lessons in Gardening; Health Studies and Practices.” We called it "Mealtime." Strong teacher called the next part “The Art of Self Defense and Offense.” We called it "Fighting." Boring teacher called the next part “Reading and Writing.” We called in sick or injured from fighting. Next, we ate again and School Headmaster Easton taught us “Numbers and Calculations.” We...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Robert Snider (United States) published:

Malpractice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

A single bird crossed the bleak, grey sky, and squawked once, but immediately stopped, silenced by the invisible admonishments of its noiseless surroundings.
    A thouroughly typical man walked briskly through his industrialized environment, struggling to avoid eye contact with the People Who Do Not Have Homes, in the Non-Upper Class. He almost pitied them, with their purposefully little education, but he had been trained all of his life to Not Think about them. He was fortunate, and had...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Raiquia (Australia) published:

Playing God

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

"I'm dying, Xero..Go..forget me. Just remember one thing.."
"What is it?"
"I..will always lo..ve..you."
"SURVIVORS OF THE EARTHQUAKE, PLEASE QUICKLY REPORT TO THE LAST SHIP XP239, DEPARTING IN 10 MINUTES" 
"Goodbye mother..I love you..too.." 

Xero woke up from his sleep in a gasp, feeling tears on his cheeks, touching his eyes and wiping the remaining droplets away. The dream was so vivid, the memory of his mother and her dying words. He turned to look at his desk, a photo...
Seeking Peer Reviews

WriterofWords (United States) published:

Drip, Drip, Drip...

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

You are running in a dark, shadowy hall. Okay... The walls are closing in, you run faster and faster untill you reach a door of metal. How do I get past the door? You put your right hand on the wooden nob of the door and turn it, opening the door. Then you step inside and see a safe, it holds your memories. My memories?...Yes, your memories. Open the safe. I can't... What is keeping you from opening the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Drip, Drip, Drip...

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Seeking Peer Reviews

Applecharm11 Starhorse (Singapore) published:

If Only I saved Her

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

“Bye! Have a nice day at training!” Blue waved off to his friends. “I will!” Green chirped. The newest warrior bounded after her mentor, eyes sparkling with excitement. “Hurry up.” Red called to his apprentice. Green quickened her steps and both disappeared through the bushes. The dark blue 25 cm creature smiled as he watched them walk off. The second he was sure they were gone, his smile fell. He sighed and put his waving hand down. It had been...

Seeking Peer Reviews

PunkyMonkey (United States) published:

Wishes in the Wind

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Have you ever felt like you have wanted something so bad, that you felt you wouldn't function without it? Like your life depended on it. Well, those are things that I like to call wishes. They can either come true, or not. My mom and I were very close, and she made me feel like anything and everything I ever wished for could come true. She put the hope and trust inside of me. She made me feel...

Seeking Peer Reviews

AprilStorms (United States) published:

Touch of Death

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

I was walking in the park like every other day. The wind was making the lines of trees dance and I put up my hand to feel the breeze. But the wind parted around my outstretched fingers and I pulled it back, the smile falling off my face. Continuing to walk on the windy gravel path I stared with rapt attention as my pristine sneakers repelled the dust swirling like fog in the air.
"Hey," I had been concentrating so...

Seeking Peer Reviews

aharry01 (United States) published:

When they found him

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Chapter 15

Will is dead. When they found him he was swinging. Swinging in his dorm, surrounded by what he once loved, once aspired for. Swinging like the character from LOST -- what was his name? Swinging from his neck, his red and raw neck. Red and raw from the rope tied around it, red and raw like my heart when I heard. There's been an accident. This is no accident, my friend. That's what his note said, at least....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

davegreen (Singapore) published:

what it would have been like if this was a book about love.

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

A rhythmic "badumbadum" had been drummed into my head, matched with a shot of adrenaline as I galloped up the stairs, taking them three steps at a go. The nerves kicked in, as usual, after hair and make-up and a mandatory chat with Molly, who was responsible for my two lovely brownie-scouts-girl plaits. I looked pretty young for 13, but now I could easily pass for a free kids meal at any restaurant. 

The emergency staircase opens conveniently two steps away...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Katie B. (United States) published:

Lost

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

The sky was dark and heavy, as if a giant's breath was hanging in the heavens. I stared straight ahead, my brain turned to pulp under the flourecent lights. The calculations on the board made absolutely no sense to me; it was all simply lines, lines and more lines. The calculator that I grasped in my small hands felt dead and useless, so unlike books that I had read. Books gave me life.

Suddenly, a switch fipped...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Laura (Australia) published:

Evan and the foxman

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Evan wandered among a collection of small tents occasionally being drawn in to test his skill at various games that were offered. At the far end of the field Evan came across a tent with the label of Freaks! above its entrance. He went in curious to see what this might mean.  The lighting of the tent was kept very dim perhaps so that fooling the eye was easier. The first thing that confronted Evan out of the gloom was a...

1
1

Maryam Gamar (Canada) published:

Mistral

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

The street lamps formed yellow pools of light on the sidewalk, illuminating the cracks, and filling them with equal shadow and light. A group of crickets camped out in a bush chirped together in unison, their music sounding like a throbbing heart. Suddenly they stopped, as if afraid. The silence that followed was quickly broken by the sound of rhythmic thumping on the concrete as a girl jogged into view. Her hair was rumpled into a loose ponytail, and...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Suri Purefoy (United States) published:

Carson, Stanley

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Sammi was bored. Bored out of her skull.
    The clock tick-tocked loudly, vibrating in her ears. Its flat musty plastic face frowned, the hour hand pointing one tick mark past the fourth big one, the minute hand stretching to the seventh large faded coal mark. The cheap white paper behind seemed wrinkled and leathery where the hands stretched outward, as if they were forcing that frown, making the sad expression painful.
    Sammi stared at the clock’s face,  turning her little...
Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Duck (United States) published:

Ouroboros [Excerpt]

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Amirah squinted in the early morning sunlight. Tariq basked in it, lifting his head towards the horizon to squeeze the most out of the dawn.

"Come on," said Fidda, locking the door to her house where she'd hid them the night before. "We'd best move quickly. Hikmat said the soldiers might return to the site of the shooting."

They set out, sandals pounding up tiny clouds of dust from the road. The sky was less of a dull orange than...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
2

Jenneth LeeD (United States) published:

The Creature House

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

The house was a silent creature, quietly sitting on the street corner as always, and nestled comfortably in its massive nest of rotting fall leaves of years past. Broken windows stared out at the quiet neighborhood road, as if amused by the busy time period that it was so far removed from. The slanted roof sagged, hunched, and its porch was cracked in a deep frown. Maybe it wasn’t amused after all.

Tony noticed I'd stopped keeping pace. He back-peddled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Black and White

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Old teacher called the first part of school “Meditation.” We called it naptime. Pretty teacher called the next part of school “Lessons in Gardening; Health Studies and Practices”. We called it Mealtime. Strong teacher called the next part “The Art of Self Defense and Offense”. We called it fighting. Boring teacher called the next part “Reading and Writing”. We called in sick or injured from fighting. Next, we ate again and School Headmaster Easton taught us “Numbers and Calculations”. We...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Shut_Up_Becky (United States) published:

Justin's Shoes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

The teens continued running around, chasing each other through dehydrated corn stalks, while Danny, Bri, and Vincent continued to search for Justin. Bri whipped her head around when she heard the sound of shuffling feet. "What's wrong?" Danny asked. "I think there's someone or something following us." Sweat gathered at the palms of her hands. "It's probably the leaves." Vincent reassured her. But the same tree she had seen at the hayride was no longer dropping leaves, the leaves she...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

aharry01 (United States) published:

When they found him

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Chapter 15

Will is dead. When they found him he was swinging. Swinging like the character from LOST, what was his name? Swinging from his neck, his red and raw neck. Red and raw from the rope tied around it, red and raw like my heart when I heard. There's been an accident. This is no accident, my friend. That's what his note said, at least. It was not an easy way out note, it was a long, sturdy...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Cate Eliot (United States) published:

Kaya Grace

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

1

Cate Eliot (United States) published:

Kaya Grace

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

“You mean you’re leaving?  At a time like this?” Kaya demanded in such a tone that the entire Council froze.
Vitalini Gail leaned forward in her chair and placed a firm hand on her friend’s wrist.  She cast a discreet eye at the commanding man at the front of the table and shook her head slightly. 
A strand of blonde hair fell off her shoulder and in a flourish she reattached it to her elaborate bun.  The bun only represented...

2

Grace Mary Potts (Australia) published:

Finding the Yellow Sky

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

The sun shone pale shards of light through the gap in her curtain, reflecting off of the wooden floor in a square. Like a bright window carved out of darker oaken walls. A splash of alien colour in a room that seemed to be drained of it. The fan whirred above her, rotating in a slow circle that did little more than push stale air around the perpetually stuffy room. A breath escaped her lips and she tilted her head...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Soph Gibson (Australia) published:

Alice: The White Room

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

1 The White Room
She knew where she was without opening her eyes. White walls, cold tiles, uncomfortable blue chair to her left, three cabinets on the wall facing her, glossy finish, black handles, and new padlocks no matter how frequently she came. She was lying under static fresh sheets, white, thin trim of blue at the hem, the bed just high enough for her tippy toes to reach if she dangled her legs. The endless white was a parasite,...

1

Black and White

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Old teacher called the first part of school “Meditation”. We called it naptime. Pretty teacher called the next part of school “Lessons in Gardening; Health Studies and Practices”. We called it Mealtime. Strong teacher called the next part “The Art of Self Defense and Offense”. We called it fighting. Boring teacher called the next part “Reading and Writing”. We called in sick or injured from fighting. Next, we ate again and School Headmaster Easton taught us “Numbers and Calculations”. We...

Seeking Peer Reviews