All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2015. See Competition

Published writing

1

Haters_Gonna_Hate (United States) published:

Sticks and Stones

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

My name is Neil Levitt, I’m 15 and I am a sophomore at Southview High School. Southview high school is a big school with two levels and 3,492 students. In my opinion it’s more like 3,000 vultures. Once two people fight, the person that loses the fight is picked on by the other students. 
I’m pretty average I guess. I get pretty good grades, mainly A’s and B’s.  I wear flannels and jeans, even though most people at my...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Sticks and Stones

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Seeking Peer Reviews

The Tennis Playing Writer (United States) published:

Watching the Waves Crash

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

He swoops me up in his buff, tan arms and swings me around over the water. I squint through the sun at his lush hair and run my hands through it. The rays shine like a spotlight on us – the only two inhabitants of our private beach. He places me down on my feet and the seaweed entangles our ankles, pulling us together like an invisible force. He leans his head to the side and cups my cheeks...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Watching the Waves Crash

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Grace Mary Potts (Australia) published:

Finding the Yellow Sky

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

The sun shone pale shards of light through the gap in her curtain, reflecting off of the wooden floor in a square, like a bright window carved out of darker oaken walls. A splash of alien colour in a room that seemed to be drained of it. The fan whirred above her, rotating in a slow circle that did little more than push stale air around the stifling room. God, she hated summer. A breath escaped her lips and she...

Seeking Peer Reviews

aharry01 (United States) published:

When they found him

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Chapter 15

Will is dead. When they found him he was swinging. Swinging in his dorm, surrounded by what he once loved, once aspired for. Swinging from his neck, his red and raw neck. Red and raw from the rope tied around it, red and raw like my heart when I heard. There's been an accident. This is no accident, my friend. That's what his note said, at least. It was not an easy-way-out note; it was long, sturdy. If...

Seeking Peer Reviews

dianaiovanescu (United States) published:

Wake Up To Reality

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Wake up to the reality
                By: Diana Iovanescu

I noticed it right away: in the middle of the floor sat a beautiful grand piano. The image hit my eye, almost blinding me. Its wood was a mixture of mahogany, rosewood, and walnut, producing a blazing incandescence. The feeling was so incredible, that I began to quiver. I walked over and placed my hands on the upper side, and began to play. The...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Wake Up To Reality

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Wake up to the reality
                By: Diana Iovanescu

Seeking Peer Reviews

Maryam Gamar (Canada) published:

Mistral

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

The street lamps formed yellow pools of light on the sidewalk, illuminating the cracks, and filling them with equal shadow and light. A group of crickets camped out in a bush chirped together in unison, their music sounding like a throbbing heart. Suddenly they stopped, as if afraid. The silence that followed was quickly broken by the sound of rhythmic thumping on the concrete as a girl jogged into view. Her hair was rumpled into a loose ponytail, and the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

vivi1968 (United States) published:

What They Never Told Me

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

People are kind of funny. They choose to believe and trust in, and justify their choices entirely upon the belief that something might exist. But, yet they still can’t seem to manage to qa things that people have proven and seen. People will create little boxes that hold the world within them, and those same people can’t see another as a person because of who they are. Frankly it always puzzled me, how a being so wonderful, could be as...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

The Doctor (United States) published:

Mind Snatcher

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

"Look me in the eye and tell me no!" Walder's voice rang around the small prison cell. When the other prisoners stirred in their sleep, Walder took a deep breath and whispered, "I know these have been hard times, but you need to confess." The prisoner strapped to the chair threw his head back and howled with laughter. Walder was quite aware of the others waking up. He leaned forward, stuffing the gag into the prisoner's mouth. That muffled his...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

The Doctor (United States) published:

Mind Snatcher

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

Sarah Feng (United States) published:

A Scent of Marigolds

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

It has been two hundred and seventy four days since I last saw my family in the flesh.
   Two hundred and seventy four days since I stood on Earth, since I inhaled the buttery Guatemalan air, since my fingers brushed the marigolds in Mama's florist shop. 
   Two hundred and seventy four days since I died under Gautemalan dirt.
   But two minutes, the clock will tick to 6:00 a.m., and it will be November 1st for us, the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Norah (United States) published:

Rain

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

It was still raining in the house. Eva couldn’t remember when it had started, before it had been mist, and before that, sultry summer heat. At first she had blamed it on bad insulation and leakage, then it had started raining. She couldn’t really explain that to an electrician or a plumber, she barely believed it herself. It was much easier to pretend she was hallucinating and cope with it as best she could. If only rain weren’t so wet...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

SnowBallad (United States) published:

Inside Me

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Level One

I had just woken up to a voice in my head. It's not like I had a voice. Before it, that is.
Don't listen to me.
That was the first thing It ever said.
I said, don't listen to me!
Okay, I say.
Okay. Ready... go.
I'm in an average house. I'm in an average room in an average bed with a not-so-average voice in my head. 
Boy, that sounds like a blues song.
Mom opens the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Aley (United States) published:

The Crash

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

January 1st
The winter air is cool and the ground covered in a powdering of snow, but my house is warm and cozy. My sister and I get to spend some quality time with each other for once. She goes to a boarding school and only came back on the 24th, Christmas Eve. She has spent most of6 her time hanging out with her friends, not much room for her 15-year-old sister, is there? We are still on Christmas vacation...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Suri Purefoy (United States) published:

Carson, Stanley

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Sammi was bored. Bored out of her mind.
    The clock tick-tocked loudly, vibrating in her ears. Its flat, musty plastic face frowned, the hour hand pointing one tick mark past the fourth big one, the minute hand stretching to the seventh large, faded coal mark. The cheap, white paper behind seemed wrinkled and leathery where the hands stretched outward, as if they were forcing that frown, making the sad expression painful.
    Sammi kept staring, turning her little head this way...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Raiquia (Australia) published:

Playing God

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

"I'm dying, Xero..Go..forget me. Just remember one thing.."
"What is it?"
"I..will always lo..ve..you."
"SURVIVORS OF THE APOCALYPSE, PLEASE QUICKLY REPORT TO THE LAST SHIP XP239, DEPARTING IN 10 MINUTES" 
"Goodbye mother..I love you..too.." 

Xero woke up from his sleep in a gasp, feeling tears on his cheeks, touching his eyes and wiping the remaining droplets away. The dream was so vivid, the memory of his mother and her dying words. He turned to look at his desk, a photo...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Amisha (India) published:

Florice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Erica's body had wanted to fidget, every instinct telling her to move, to do something, preferably to run away, but she had waited. Listening. Watching. And now she regretted it.
She watched from the shadows as the Tribol devoured the last of the woman in a matter of seconds. Her heart was beating faster than a dashing horse-drawn carriage and her breathing became slow. The woman's scream rang in her ears. 
 She had heard about Tribols, they were...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Amisha (India) published:

Florice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

Seeking Peer Reviews

Amisha (India) published:

Florice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

She watched from the shadows as the Tribol devoured the last of the woman in a matter of seconds. Her heart was beating faster than wheels of a speeding train and her breathing became slow. The woman's scream rang in her ears. 
 She had heard about Tribols, they...

Seeking Peer Reviews

LNashid (United States) published:

Opening Scene of Orange Skies Won't Fade Until Tomorrow

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

“Accepting or declining this elite invitation will impact Sabyne’s life. Sincerely, the Decisioner.” I fold the letter into its envelope and push it over to Grams.
“Accepting or declining,” she mutters, taking the envelope with an arthritic hand. “That’s a load of donkey dung and everyone knows it.”
I pick up Kelsey’s plate of unfinished broccoli and scrape it into the trash. “Some do decline Grams.”
She looks at me, her glasses at the tip of her nose. “Well you’re...
Seeking Peer Reviews

purplpeanut (United States) published:

Wings

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

I always thought wings were the windows to the soul. They were never eyes. Every person has wings, from every shape to every size. They could be angel wings, or slick like a fairy, they could be a hummingbird, or built of fire. It doesn't seem to matter. Some have only one wing, lost from a trauma, or something that had gone horribly wrong. And some who once had them, don't anymore. And then there are those born with no wings....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Hanan Adi (Germany) published:

The Fate of Ikorov

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

“May I request you leave?” said Ikorov. “Or are prisoners’ wishes never respected?”
     Bergov scowled but turned away, stroking his sister’s hair a final time as if to say, “Good luck.” Ikorov he warned, “I’ll give you ten minutes.” He turned the corner, out of sight, and his footsteps, first echoing clearly, faded into the silence.
     Ikorov reached out his hands, and Ilse ran to catch them. His arms could not fit through the bars, so...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Amisha (India) published:

Florice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

The girl watched from the shadows as the Tribol devoured the last of the woman in a matter of seconds. Her heart was beating faster than wheels of a speeding train and her breathing became slow. The woman's scream rang in her ears. Her body had wanted to fidget, every instinct telling her to move, to do something, preferably to run away, but she had waited. Listening. Watching. And now she regretted it.
 She had heard about Tribols,...

Seeking Peer Reviews