This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

This I Believe

Full Details

What do you believe?

In introducing his "This I Believe" radio show in the 1950s, Edward Murrow said, “Never has the need for personal philosophies of this kind been so urgent.” Today, the expression of personal philosophies and beliefs continues to shape the way we understand ourselves, each other, and the world at large. Here's a sampling of recent topics from NPR's "This I Believe" series:

“I believe in so much more than freedom of speech; I believe it is time that we all took a stand.”
“I believe in the power of simple questions.”
“I believe ‘government’ is a verb.”
“I believe in the natural world.”
“I believe in acts of love.”

Your turn, dear writers. Reflect on a belief you hold dear, in writing. Your statement can be any length. Perhaps you will write a full essay, or perhaps you will capture the core of your belief in just a handful or words. NPR gives writers of "This I Believe" statements the following advice: Tell a story. Be brief. Name your belief. Be positive. Be personal.

And if you'd like some inspiration, listen to these memorable examples archived by National Public Radio: