This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Ancestors Speak

Full Details

The author, Elizabeth Hunter once said, “we’re all immortal as long as our stories are told.” 

Ancestors are a window to the past. Their stories help us understand what life was like before we were born, and how much the world has changed in recent decades. But ancestors also pass down wisdom that helps us confront the challenges of today with courage, humor, and humility.

The stories from past generations shape our values and dreams, our sense of self, and our hopes for who we want to become. We each have the opportunity to draw on our ancestors as sources of wisdom—as guides for how to live. As Ralph Ellison once said, “Some people are your relatives but others are your ancestors, and you choose the ones you want to have as ancestors. You create yourself out of those values.”

What story does your family pass down from generations past? What memory, bit of wisdom, humorous lesson, or act of courage has left an impression on you? Tell us about a particular ancestor, or focus on one family story, and explain how this person or story has shaped who you are today. For inspiration, check out the stunning and insightful works of Community Ambassadors crow_e and Wicked!

This prompt was created by Community Ambassador Kaitlyn Reese.