This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Writing Streak Challenge Week 8

Full Details

Can you keep the streak? 

Right now, so many of us are out of our normal routine of school and activities. Take this time to develop your writing practice by joining our Writing Streak Challenge!

HOW IT WORKS

Each Monday, we’ll post a new challenge for you to complete each day of the week. To participate, do the following:

Monday - Friday
  • Go to Start Writing, then hit the “Free Write” button. 
  • Write your response.
  • Title your piece “Writing Streak,” followed by the week and day (for example: “Writing Streak Week 8 Day 1,” or “Writing Streak Week 8 Day 3”). 
Friday 
  • When you’ve completed your five daily responses, come back to this prompt, and hit “Start Writing”
  • Title your piece “Challenge Completed.” 
  • In the body, copy and paste the text from all five of your pieces, being sure to title each piece as Day 1, Day 2, etc.
See an example from Week 1 here!

LEVEL UP
  • If you’ve successfully completed the challenge, you’ll receive a badge to upload to your profile picture (we’ll email it to the address connected to your Write the World account).
  • Be sure to keep joining each new weekly challenge—you’ll get new badges that show how many challenges you’ve successfully completed!

WEEK 8 CHALLENGE
TEN-SECOND ESSAYS

The writer James Richardson has an entire book composed of what he calls ten-second essays, each essay only a sentence long. Richardson also refers to these super short essays as aphorisms, meaning they each contain a general truth, but are wrapped up in a very small package. 

Your challenge this week, dear writers,  is to pen a ten-second essay every day. Read a few of our Richardson favorites below . . . and then put your own world truths down on paper. 

10 Second Essays by James Richardson
  1. Say nothing as if it were news.
  2. Who breaks the thread, the one who pulls, the one who holds on?
  3. Despair says I cannot lift that weight. Happiness says, I do not have to.
  4. Even at the movies, we laugh together, we weep alone.
  5. I could explain, but then you would understand my explanation, not what I said.