This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Writing Streak Challenge Week 6

Full Details

Can you keep the streak? 

Right now, so many of us are out of our normal routine of school and activities. Take this time to develop your writing practice by joining our Writing Streak Challenge!

HOW IT WORKS

Each Monday, we’ll post a new challenge for you to complete each day of the week. To participate, do the following:

Monday - Friday
  • Go to Start Writing, then hit the “Free Write” button. 
  • Write your response.
  • Title your piece “Writing Streak,” followed by the week and day (for example: “Writing Streak Week 5 Day 1,” or “Writing Streak Week 5 Day 3”). 
Friday 
  • When you’ve completed your five daily responses, come back to this prompt, and hit “Start Writing”
  • Title your piece “Challenge Completed.” 
  • In the body, copy and paste the text from all five of your pieces, being sure to title each piece as Day 1, Day 2, etc.
See an example from Week 1 here!

LEVEL UP
  • If you’ve successfully completed the challenge, you’ll receive a badge to upload to your profile picture (we’ll email it to the address connected to your Write the World account).
  • Be sure to keep joining each new weekly challenge—you’ll get new badges that show how many challenges you’ve successfully completed!

WEEK 6 CHALLENGE
NUMEROUS NARRATORS

When we think of point of view, or P.O.V. for short, we often assume that a book has one narrator telling the story, or one type of narration style (first person, third person, etc.). But what happens if a story is told from multiple perspectives? How different Harry Potter would be if each chapter had been told from the viewpoint of a different character! The first chapter from Harry’s perspective; the second from Lord Voldemort; the third, Snape; etc.... we’d lose some of the closeness we feel with Harry, but gain insight into the experiences of other characters.

For this writing streak challenge, write a daily 100-200-word flash fiction story from five different perspectives, one for each day of the week. 

Be sure, with each iteration of your story, that you are clearly switching from one narrator to another, so that the P.O.V. rotates among characters. As you write, keep in mind that a change in narrator also means a change in voice, and perhaps time and place as well. Think of each narrator as offering another angle on a central narrative question or theme.