All writing published for Environmental Writing Competition 2015. See Competition

Published writing

1

bbake3752 (United States) published:

Environmental Writing : Winter

PROMPT: Environmental Writing Competition 2015

The wind blows so strongly through my hair,
Early in the morning in the shivering winter air.
The sun breaks through the thick clouds in the sky,
on the frozen asphalt I attempt to lie.
Just to watch the rabbits hop around the valley and hills,
I lie their thinking what joy and grateness this feels.
Winter. Winter. 
Breath taken from the tempurature of the snow, 
love and cherish begin to grow.
My heart beats for the fur coats 
and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

bbake3752 (United States) published:

Environmental Writing : Winter

on the frozen asphalt I attempt to lie.
Winter. Winter. 
love and cherish begin to grow.
My heart beats for the fur coats 
and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

bbake3752 (United States) published:

Environmental Writing : Winter

on the frozen asphalt I attempt to lie.
Winter. Winter. 
love and cherish begin to grow.
My heart beats for the fur coats 
and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Hanan Adi (Germany) published:

Killing Stars

Once upon a time, there were stars.
     Fields of stars. Realms of them. Galaxies. Worlds—and we could see them.
     Once upon a time the stars we saw were not merely the delight of the eye, the wonder to the heart, or the proof of the existence of God. When the day’s compass retired below the hazy horizon, and all was cold and dark, the stars marked the ways. The stars were the hope.
     There...

John Fiumara (United States) published:

Infection

As the years go my eyes start to open to what is actually happening in the world. All the destruction and inhuman acts toward other humans, however no one ever stops and thinks what we are doing to this place we call home. We live on a planet that takes care of us and all it asks in return is some care back and we as a race have neglected that. We as a race are a disease and we...

Seeking Peer Reviews

John Fiumara (United States) published:

Infection

Seeking Peer Reviews

John Feeney (United States) published:

Growing up by the water

John Feeney
Ms. Porter
College Writing D
10-9-15

Growing Up by the Water

I live in Quincy Massachusetts, which is just south of Boston. Quincy is broken up into different neighborhoods and the neighborhood that I have lived in for ten years is Merrymount. My family and I moved to Merrymount from a different neighborhood called Wollaston when I was seven years old. The reason we moved to Merrymount was to be closer to my grandparents and to be...

KWalkerEldridge24 (United States) published:

Abandoned Child

The Abandoned Child
By Khalil Walker-Eldridge

Pain.
The world is in pain like that kid who is made fun of in his elementary school every day for being “poor.” His teachers notice there is a problem.
They say a lot but do not do much.
His cry for help is unheard like rainforest animals without a habitat.
They are both homeless. Help does not exist.
Their faces read, “Who will care for me?”
The child has no foundation. ...

ELIZABETH STAI (United States) published:

The Environmental Impacts by Liz Stai

It's interesting to note that modern humans have been around for a very long time and lived for much of it without causing much irreparable damage to the environment. However, overexploitation and pollution have started affecting the environment negatively over the last few centuries. For years unfortunately, humans are the most polluting species. Earth is very good at recycling waste, but we are generating far more than earth can cope with. Pollution occurs at different levels and it doesn't just...

1

find7kites (United States) published:

The Earth- My Home, Your Home

When I first open my eyes in the morning, I see my pillow. I sit up on my bed, with the cotton sheets. I put on clothing, I eat. Already, the simple luxuries are provided from nature. From the soft, clean cotton sheets on my bed, the food I put into my belly, the clothing I drape over myself, the furniture I sit on, and so much more. Mother Nature has provided with so much, isn't it time...

1

AprilStorms (United States) published:

Our Tall Friends: Deforestation

Everyday we see the brown bark and green foliage of trees. But although we are always seeing them, their contributions to life on earth go unnoticed. Trees have become a constant in our lives whether in our backyard or on the set of a preschool play, but most people take for granted the monumental things trees do and what would happen if they suddenly weren't there anymore. Trees are important to humans and all the other living things...

2

Sarah Feng (United States) published:

Real Blue

On October 19th, 2014, China’s capital, Beijing, hosted its annual international marathon. Sports channels and reporters displayed videos and images from the much-anticipated race all around the globe. But the eager audience received an unexpected shock. When the footage began rolling, it took several moments to see that the video, in fact, was not of a solid beige sheet, but a layer of air so congested with dust that it coated the camera lenses with brown. Almost all the Chinese marathon...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Anna Lang (United States) published:

Destroying Stars- Light Pollution

I imagine the the first light humans ever saw at night were the stars. Million of diamonds spilled across black velvet, tumbling through thick strands of iridescent colors. A century later, I stand in the same spot as my ancestors and see a dirty brown cast over the sky. It is ironic that in man's feverish race to light the night, we have destroyed the gift nature had given to us- the stars. I had no idea that as a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Quixotica (United States) published:

Paradise (Almost) Lost

Paradise is Eden, legendary and unreal. Locked in storybooks and fables and prayer, untouchable and unattainable.
    Paradise is promised to certain people who live a certain way, or it's sold to a certain tax bracket: a paradise built of glass and concrete and chrome, vacation resorts carving bubbles of Paradise out of other people's countries, a garden with barbed-wire fences to keep the illusion locked in and the people who live outside the shiny snowglobes of resorts locked out.
    Paradise...

Scott Gosse (United States) published:

Boston vs. California

Scott Gosse

Write the World 
    One of the many problems with our world is the environment. This is an international problem that needs to be acted upon immediately because of its severe consequences. As we saw last winter in Boston we broke the record for the most snowfall. I took a trip to Lake Tahoe, California, where the lake level was at a record low, and there was no snow when there’s usually a few feet. Experiencing this drastic...

Sarah Feng (United States) published:

Real Blue

On October 19th, 2014, China’s capital, Beijing, hosted its annual international marathon. Sports channels and reporters displayed videos and images from the much-anticipated race all around the globe, hoping to satisfy the eager audience.
But the viewers received an unexpected shock. When the footage began rolling, it took several moments to see that the video, in fact, was not of a solid beige sheet, but a layer of air so congested with dust that it coated the camera lenses with...

Brendan Sullivan (United States) published:

Environment

Environment
            I live in South Boston, Massachusetts and for as long as I can remember the ocean has always been polluted. This pollution has been caused over years and years of people having no regard for the environment. Whether it was from restaurants, people, or by anything else, we have to make a change. The ocean is a sanctuary for many being during the summer in South Boston, but this pollution does not make it safe for swimmers. The...

philc98 (United States) published:

Morning Nature

Philip Chomicki
Ms. Porter
College Writing C
10/19/15
Nature
            The fall season has finally come around again and we are battling with leaves on our front steps in the morning and leaves stuck under our windshield wipers. Walking out of my house in the morning when I open my front door to walk to my car, the cool morning breeze hits my face and goose bumps immediately run throughout my body. Every tree outside is almost fully naked with...

Liam.Mccarthy26 (United States) published:

A Monkey's Home

Liam McCarthy

When I was just born the first thing I remembered was the trees. Hundreds and thousands of them, every single one of them I thought went as high as the sun and moon. As I grew older and older I would learn how to finesse my way through the trees. I would tease other animals, then scurry up the tree, mocking at them because they couldn’t climb up it. My friends and I went to our favorite spot...

flabo (United States) published:

You get What you Give

Thomas Flaherty

As humans to our society we wake up, eat breakfast, go to work, come home and repeat this process until we unfold a new chapter in our lives that is thrown at us. We go throughout our days not thinking about how we are here today and how our environment plays a key role in keeping us here to enjoy the wonders it has to offer us. For Millions of years our environment has evolved around mankind, we...

flabo (United States) published:

You get What you Give

Thomas Flaherty

jake Matthews (United States) published:

Enviormental Essay

Jake matthews

Environmental Essay

I work at a golf course called George Wright any working there I experience a lot of new thing I have never seen before in nature. I have seen new animals like birds, wild turkeys, coyotes and a lot of cool plants somethings i've never even known about it really has been an amazing experience with nature and can’t wait to see what I will experience through the next years . The...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Amelia0212 (United States) published:

Don't Let Our Future Go down the Drain

Where would we be in several years if water, the vital essence of our Earth, was non-existent? What would happen if we completely ignored the California drought because we felt better to deny it? If we just stopped caring about water conservation, what would become of us? I know we all love those long, hot shower after our hectic schedules are through with us. But, what if these little pleasures cost us the most precious resource...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Bailey O'Leary (United States) published:

Spring Skiing

There is no better skiing than spring skiing. Every March my family takes a trip to Loon, New Hampshire to ski for a weekend. The two hour and 15 minute drive seemed to last forever as I anticipated the exciting weekend. The thought of being able to ski in a t-shirt and sunglasses made me thrilled to arrive. So many times before had I had the privilege of skiing with friends from dawn till dusk, only stopping for lunch or...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

GeekyGirl 001 (United States) published:

Mother Earth

Earth's radius is 3,959 miles. Her age is 4.54 billion years and, as of 2013, her population is 7.125 billion. She gives us life. Earth has been able to sustain a billion lives. She provided for nearly 7 billion people. How do we care for her? We give her smog, cut down her trees, polute her water? How can she care for us when we don't care for her? She already strains herself so hard to provide. 

Over four...

Seeking Peer Reviews