This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Spaceship Earth

Full Details

“I know you’re probably feeling a bit disoriented right now,” says NASA astronaut Nicole Stott. “Maybe you’re feeling a little cut off from humanity. Or that you’re just kind of… drifting… in space.”

Does that resonate with you?

Stott, who left her young son and husband to complete a three-month mission to the space station, knows a thing or two about isolation. “250 miles above the planet,” Stott remembers, “separated from family and friends, essentially quarantined with just my five crew mates.” During her seven-hour solo space walk, Stott realized she was more distant from planet Earth than any other person, the farthest human from home. It was her most isolated moment, but also one of her most profound, as she realized how many people were rooting for her from afar. She came to find value in new perspectives. 

“The lessons [space] taught me are really helping me get through this time right now,” she says. “The way we peacefully and successfully achieve our missions on a space station is the same way we need to be doing it down here on Earth. We need to be behaving like crew members on Spaceship Earth, and not just passengers.”

Dear writers, what does this statement mean to you? How can we, during this time of uncertainty and isolation, behave like crew members? Tell us what examples of “behaving like a crew” you’ve witnessed or heard about from your patch of the planet.