This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Photo 1431608660976 4fe5bcc2112c

Five Novel Titles

Full Details

Don't judge a book by it's cover, the old adage goes. And yet we often do. The cover—with its bold color or playful cartoon or mysterious photo—is the first piece of information we receive about a book. And the title is the second.

Titles can pop, they can beckon, they can bore. A title can plant a question in the reader's mind, or paint a picture, or stir a thought. And sometimes, they can serve as inspiration for the writer. R.L. Stine, the author of over 125 books in the popular Goosebumps series, has this to say about the role of titles: "I don't ever try to think of ideas—I always just think of titles. And then the title leads me to the story... I work backwards from most authors."

This week, dear writers, work backwards. We're not asking you to write a novel (that's next week!), but instead to crack open the door. In preparation for November's NOVEL WRITING COMPETITION, write a list of five novel-worthy titles. That's it. A few words that could intrigue readers to enter a parallel universe. A few words to inspire other writers to pick up their pens come November. A few words that may even inspire you to keep writing... and writing... and writing...

To wet your palate, here are some of our all-time favorites:
  • Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, The Confederacy of Dunces.
  • Love in the Time of Cholera, In the Time of the Butterflies, A Wrinkle in Time.
  • Lord of the Flies, Invisible Man, Cloud Splitter.
And these intriguing titles by our own bakerk.20!