This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Privacy or Security

Full Details

Enter the Op-Ed Competition

Are you ready to take your writing to the next level? Then enter our Op-Ed Competition by responding to the prompt below! We're offering up to 25 expert reviews for free so remember to hit the Send for Expert Review button before June 11. You can Share and Peer Review as usual, and also be sure to mark a version as Final before midnight June 18 for a chance to win prizes.

Prizes

We'll award Amazon vouchers worth $100 to the best essay, $50 to two runners-up and $50 for the best peer review - all chosen by our team of expert writers.

Suggested Length

500-750 words

Guiding Questions

Use these Guiding Questions to stimulate your thinking about the prompt. Check out the rubric below for more details.

• After the terrorist attacks of 9/11, our government has been more aggressive in its national security policies. Has any one of these actions interfered with civil liberties?
  • Is the debate between national security and individual privacy black and white??
  • How can the government uphold individual civil liberties and use measures to protect against another national security threat?
Key Dates

For the chance to receive expert review, Send your draft by Wed June 11. FInal entries are due Wed June 18.