All writing published for Op-Ed Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

19
3

Frankenstein (previously Fernweh #Queenie's Halloween) (India) published:

Domestic Violence Doesn’t Discriminate Between Male and Female

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

In June 2017, Alex Skeel, 22, from Bedfordshire was discovered '10 days away from death' when police knocked on his door, leading to an investigation that saw the mother of his two children jailed for more than seven years.

His girlfriend, Jordan Worth became the first female in the UK to be convicted of controlling or coercive behaviour.

Alex was in an abusive relationship for five years. He silently suffered the pain and abuse, because he loved his girlfriend. He...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

mason wong (United States) published:

Do playing violent video games cause violent behavior (#Pretty Contest 3)

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

Experts have debated the topic do violent video games cause violent behavior for over 30 years. The recent court shooting in Texas has once brought up again the issue of do violent video games cause violent behavior. This topic is genuinely controversial because there is a plethora of reasons and evidence to support both sides. Experts have argued that exposure to violent video games contributes to violent behavior; experts have proven that it is not harmful because they are...

Seeking Peer Reviews

sophism (United States) published:

N/A

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

N/A

4
1

Klaiir (Nigeria) published:

The Antidote is Gratitude

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

"We all need love, just to know that we aren't weird. And even if we are, let that be another's view of perfection...we constantly search for validation."
    These were my exact thoughts when I was contemplating on the problem of our generation. This modern day sickness called depression really isn't some shallow phase in a teenager's life because it's deeper than we think.
     I remember when I went hit rock bottom, I saw myself despising my...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jordan Lee (Malaysia) published:

Consumer Society

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

Consumer society IS are now happening within us, even for ourselves. Without even realizing it, our greedy control our mind to buy things. We often buy things based on what we want, instead of what we need. Our greed CONTROL drives us into. Sometimes we buy things to show off to other people that we can and able to buy, that’s why we think that our salary is never enough. No matter how much we get from our job, we won’t take...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Westley (United States) published:

We Need Acceptance

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

What we need most in our world is acceptance.

People are not accepted for who they are, what they do, what they want and wish for. Put aside your differences, just learn to accept. People should accept things, even if they don't like them.

Religious people need to respect eachother and drop the issue, everyone has the right to what they believe in. Non-religious people need to respect their views.

Accept your neighbors, even if they have different ideas.

Accept...

Seeking Peer Reviews

10
2

Wicked! (India) published:

Hindutva is Poisoning and Dividing Indians

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

​It was the day of Holi, a Hindu spring festival. The sleep inertia had barely left me when I heard shouting and rhythmic clapping from outside. From the balcony, I saw a group of men from our housing society standing in a circle in the middle of the main roadway, clapping and shouting slogans, with two of them dancing in the middle of it all. 'Jaago Hindu, ek baar jaago toh,' they were chanting. Wake up Hindu, wake up once. What's unfortunate is that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Navaneeth Nanda (Australia) published:

Jungle of Concrete

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

I cradled the small green, serrated edges of the leaves, feeling each one. Separately. I moved to feeling the tough, brown bark of the sapling. A smell of soil clinging to the bottom of the roots and the sweet aroma of the sap of life, swelling in the leaves wafted to my nose. Grains of soil powdering off and cascading to the hard, concrete ground below. This was the last one. This was our final hope.
Tall Spacescrapers, jungles of...

Sidh (India) published:

You don't deserve the more

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

The more you are giving importance to him..

The less you are becoming important for him..

The more you are trying to loving him..

The less he is trying to return your love.

The more you Are going to free for him..

The less he is going to spend the time on you..

The more you are trying to give him pleasure..

The less he is trying to show his happiness with you..

The more you trying to protect and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Maymorgan (United States) published:

The Mirror

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

The Mirror

She looked in the mirror
For the fifth time that day.
All she can see is her alone and unwanted self.
She hates her body, her view of herself is broken like shards of glass
She thinks "why would anyone ever want me?"
She is scared of losing people, she has not gone a year without someone walking out of her life.

She looked in the mirror
A wave of pain rushes back to her.
Of cutting herself
Of bullies ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

bkpiraf (United States) published:

Boneless

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

Bones through my ribs, you can see clearly.
 I’m not the shape I should be. 
I reach for a plate, 
I reach for a drink, 
Each time I reach, I'm reaching to be alive.
I used to be told I had beauty in my eyes,
but now they’re empty holes with lines beneath.

The rich will never understand what it's like
to spend your days in a constant fight for life.
You hold the body I wish to have, you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Puspita Brahma (India) published:

"Environment is a typical case of what we sow, so we reap."

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

We have no time to talk in words, we have to convert our words into action.

Every year a tree's trunk expands to gain a new ring and nests are built and abandoned for warmer climates. Our collective actions impact the environment we share.
The air quality index touches alarmingly dangerous levels frequently; contamination of ground water is a stank reality of today; water tables are receding; trees are becoming virtually invisible and plastic waste is clogging the entire...

1

Ashlee Farrar (Australia) published:

“The Only Way to Stop a Bad Guy With a Gun is With a Good Guy with a Gun.”

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

It’s time America stopped solving violence with violence, it’s as if they don’t learn from their mistakes. You would think wars such as those involving the Vietnamese, British, Native American and Koreans, (which they all defeatedly loss) would give them the wake-up call they so genuinely need. Time and time again, guns have always seemed to be the first course of action for the Americans, so it comes as no surprise to hear that integrating guns into classrooms for “security...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Macy Christensen (United States) published:

Rowing: The Sport for High Schoolers

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

I’ve always enjoyed playing sports. This year, during my first year of high school, I stepped away from soccer. I'd been playing soccer for eight years and felt I was missing something when I no longer had practices and games to go to all of the time. I knew I needed to find a spring sport. I also play volleyball so I had that for the fall. One day my best friend asked me if I would want to try...

niketan327 (India) published:

Analysis of climate over the region of Bermuda Triangle

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

INTRODUCTION

The Bermuda triangle is a piece of land situated is bounded by Miami, Bermuda, and Puerto Rico. This piece of land is interesting because there are reports of ships and planes went missing over this area. This has been over years and till now it’s still going on. 

1.1 HISTORY 

Unexplained circumstances surround some of these accidents, including one in which the pilots of a squadron of U.S. Navy bombers became disoriented while flying over the area; the planes...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Erik-Marchant (United States) published:

A Vital Aspect of Our Lives: Competition

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

Each and every human in this world have a natural desire to be better than the person standing next to them at something, whether it be running, or their job, or even having a better lawn than their neighbor. This is because everyone has a natural competitive drive within them. Without competition, the world could never become better. This is why competition is vital, and the world will not every be able to be better than it is...

Lambert Ji (United States) published:

Why the Coronavirus is more serious than you think

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

You have probably heard of the coronavirus.  People say that it's not very serious or but this is not true.  15 percent of people over 80 who get the coronavirus die.  Compared to the flu, with a death percentage of 0.83 percent of people over 65, this is very high.  The overall death rate of the coronavirus is 3.4 percent which is still significantly more then the 0.1 percent mortality rate of the flu.  Only 774 out of...

swanny_32 (United States) published:

Not so great expectations

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

As young adults we are asked to learn how to be a part of a functional community.  Rules and guidelines are set. Expectations are a given so that we can strive for greatness. Sometimes they can be overbearing or just not enough. As a teenager I see my expectations as a cap on how much I can accomplish; instead of goals that I need to achieve. Every teen is different and it is very important to recognize that.
    I know...

Issy Hay (Australia) published:

Hey, it's just a joke

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

“I was only kidding” seems to be an all too common line of defence after someone is surprised to be called out for a remark. Whether in the locker rooms, the classrooms or even on live television, this retraction of words makes okay of unacceptable things, because, come on, it really wasn’t that serious. But maybe, no, definitely, that’s where we have gone wrong. By accepting the lacklustre apology of supposed humour, we as a society have done something much...

Shasha (Sri Lanka) published:

Our future

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

I would like to live in a peaceful and united world. Where no one is unhappy, where everyone is happy. It would be very nice if we had everything we need and everyone we love to enjoy the world. Living in such an environment will make our lives enjoyable and comfortable. Also, it will give us a great relaxation and a little happiness. To make such an environment we must be sure to be unselfish and kind to others. As...

roboticbutlers (Singapore) published:

The Arts and Singapore - a tale of unrequited care

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

Welcome to Singapore. Glamourised, most recently in the hit Hollywood rom-com Crazy Rich Asians. Its phenotyping as an exotic yet accessible Asian experience of eclectic culture has fueled flocks of tourists on a thirst of enlightenment. Most leave satisfied. Look beyond the endless facsimiles of bite-sized historical trivia, however, and one might realise the modern arts that drive societal discourse - or lack of it. Local art does exist: In the form of plays at the Wild ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

Ayy (United States) published:

In Search of a Soulmate

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

Everyone wants to meet “the one”. Whether it’s the prince charming to sweep them off their feet, or the damsel with boundless affection just waiting to be rescued, everyone longs for the individual they imagine to be the ultimate fulfillment of their happily ever after. But can the search for a soulmate ever truly end? Society has structured our lives in such a way that unrealistic pressure is put upon individuals to both be perfect and to seek ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jiaheng (Singapore) published:

The Road Towards Sustainable Development

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

In response to Trump withdrawing from the Paris Agreement, former United Nations climate chief Christiana Figueres remarked, “As before Paris, we must remember that impossible is not a fact, it is an attitude.” (Source 1)

For the past decades, the notion of building sustainable cities and communities have been tragically outweighed by the overwhelming power of self-serving governments and profit-driven corporations. The insatiable greed of humanity and a never-ending list of materialistic desires has led to the devastation of our...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Roo (United States) published:

I'm Sick Of It

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

I woke up at 3:23 in the morning, violently shivering, buried under a mound of blankets. Though freezing, somehow I was drenched in sweat that soaks my pillow. I couldn’t help but panic at the sudden realization that school started in just a few hours. I absolutely can not be sick! My perfect attendance will be ruined, my grades will plummet, I'll have missing and late work to catch up on, I just can’t do it! My options are to...

Dima Andela (United States) published:

The Anti-Vaccination Community And There Effect On Society

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2020

Gwen, a mother of 2 daughters, one abroad in China and her 17-year-old daughter Shannon, months away from her last day of school. Gwen became concerned when her daughter came home and said that she thinks she could have gotten the flu from one of her classmates. She had Shannon get lots of rest and fluids, coddled her, and took care of her as best she could. In the couple weeks since then Shannon’s...

Seeking Peer Reviews