This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

A Star is Born!

Full Details

Scientists recently discovered that a meteor that crashed into the Australian continent contains the oldest (known) stardust on the planet—formed 5 billion years ago!

This article in The Guardian is packed with riveting details about the discovery, such as the fact that the star’s birthday makes it much older than the Earth and the sun, and that when scientists crushed pieces of the meteor into a paste, it had “an unpleasant smell ‘like rotten peanut butter’”. 

This story is truly otherworldly—and we think it’s too good not to share with younger readers. But as you’ll see, much of the language in this article is intended for an older audience. So, dear writers, we need your help to rewrite it for children! 

You have two options:
  1. AN ARTICLE: Try your hand at journalism for children, translating this article into language easily read and understood by a child. Make sure to include the “5 W’s” (Who, What, When, Where, Why), and as many punchy details as you can find—from the scent of peanut butter to stardust grains, there’s so much magic here! Please be sure to cite your sources.
  2. A NARRATIVE: Write a children’s story that uses the information in this article as a premise of sorts. Perhaps your story will revolve around why the star smells of rotten peanut butter, or what the universe was like when this particular star was born, or how life changed for the star with the arrival of the sun (etc., etc.). Please be sure to cite your sources.
Don’t forget to share your rewritten article or story with a young friend, family member, or neighbor! And, to get your wheels turning, check out the engaging words of YayaZ's exemplar piece, "Celebration -- A Day to Remember."