All writing published for Writing for Children Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

6
1

Tushar Mandhan (India)() published:

Dogs prefer paper, birds prefer cover

PROMPT: Writing for Children Competition 2020

Timmy was afraid as he forgot to do his mathematics homework. As his teacher was collecting homework from each table, his heart started to beat at an uncountable pace.
Earlier it was 80/120 but by the time he reached the table before him, it was 2000/50000.
'Timmy, where's your homework?" his teacher asked.
"Ah! Did you ask me, sir?" Timmy questioned.
"No, I'm talking to Timothee Chalamet." his teacher replied.
"Really, sir? Where is he?" Timmy asked in surprise.
"Oh,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

werhahntabea (Germany)() published:

Alpine adventures

Staring at the lifeless, stiff body falling down from the sky, my heart pumped with adrenaline.
But I was alive, unlike him.

The day started beautiful. I heard my brother, and my sister laughing about a silly joke my father made, and my mother telling him to stop making the same jokes over and over again, as we made our way up the Alps; everything was how it was supposed to be, everything was normal. Or so it seemed.  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Christie Crosby (United States of America)() published:

Secrets

Quackie the Duck is at recess playing with his friends and laughing at something funny Snappy the Turtle said when Squeakie the Mouse pulls him to the side. 

" I have to tell you a secret!" He says. 

So Squeakie whispers his secret in Quackie's ear. "Pspspspspsp. Psssppsspps. Pspsps and you can't tell anyone!" 

Quackies agrees not to tell anyone and they go back to playing with their friends, Squeakie being relieved he has a friend he can trust. After...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Alyssa.Carson (United States of America)() published:

The Shiny Toy Car.

Page 1: On a nice summer day, Mike the Bear and his friends decided they wanted to go play by the river. Mike and his friends all raced down to the river as fast as they could. "Last one there is the rotten egg", called out Dave the Wolf as they were running through the woods. After just a few minutes of running they all made it to the river.  They spent their time playing tag until Chris the Bear...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Oliviastevens (United States of America)() published:

Sam the Monkey

Once there was a monkey called Sam. Sam lived in a zoo with other animals of different kinds from lions, to bears you name it and it was there. Sam was a unique monkey different from all the others. Sam loved fashion but everyone else in the zoo did not approve.
  "We're monkeys! And that's it. We don't do fashion." Said , Sam's dad.
Everyone shamed Sam because he was doing something he loved. To sam it didn't matter if...

Megaparsec (United States of America)() published:

The Adventures Of Ann Marie And Arrlow

Ann Marie was an adventurer.
(illustration: picture of a girl with short brown hair standing next to a dog and smiling)

Her and her dog, Arrlow, go everywhere together.
(illustration: picture of Arrlow and Ann at the supermarket)

But one day, Arrlow was nowhere to be found.
(illustration: picture of Ann calling Arrlow)

Ann Marie was sad, so she decided to go on a journey to find Arrlow. 
 (illustration: picture of Ann getting a backpack and jacket on)

She was...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Dragon-Like-Tendencies (United States of America)() published:

Sister Moon

The sky turned dark one day. 

But I didn't worry. Mom said it was OK. "Sometimes this happens," She said, as she put the protective glasses on my head "It's called a solar eclipse. The Moon hides the sun from us, making it dark." I looked up to the sky with my new glasses. In the sun was a dark circle, slowly moving over the Sun. 

"Did the Moon get jealous of the Sun?" I asked. Mom looked back down...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kate Cheshier (American Samoa)() published:

The Best Pet Ever

Jake was a boy who loved to play outside.
(Show Jake playing tag with his friends in a park.)

Jake was a boy who loved to imagine.
(Show Jake wearing a cardboard crown, holding a sword, battling a stuffed animal.)

But most of all, Jake was a boy who loved pets.
(Show Jake

He loved dogs,

and cats,

and birds,

and lizards,

and all the in-betweens.

Every day he would ask his mom, "Can we have a pet yet?"

Sometimes...

Seeking Peer Reviews

FyreWryter (United States of America)() published:

Destination Imagination

"It's time to wake up dear," My Mother just said, I yawned and I groaned and I stayed back in bed.
The only thing that could peel me away from this fresh, white comforter place was the thought of a lifetime awaits on the table. "There are pancakes awaiting you on the table," I Sprung out of bed like a vibrating cable!

I tossed all my clothes on and stepped by my door, "Oh no!" I shouted, "There's mud everywhere!...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Palochki (Canada)() published:

The Three Buskers of Allegria

Once upon a time, far, far away, in the Western Kingdom, in a mansion on the outskirts of the great city of Wetbelt, there lived a rich and famous death metal star named Fortissimo X. He and his band Crimson Frost were famous throughout the Emerald Lands for their distinctive style of electric ukulele strumming and harsh vocals like the croaking of a turkey being tortured.
Fortissimo X had three children, none of whom played music. The oldest son was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Griffin041223 (Canada)() published:

A Black Cat's Luck

The Cat was an odd little creature, or so he’d been told. With fur all black from head to toe to the tip of his long fluffy tail, it would have been impossible to see him at all if it weren’t for the glowing green of his eyes, and the shine of the bell tied to his collar.

But though he was a beautiful creature, sleek, and graceful, and even a little shy, he did not think very much of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hira Leo (United States of America)() published:

The Door Where it Began

The stars above the trio of friends were bright in the sky, making their curious faces glow. Belle continued to twist the doorknob, the grass below her staining her jeans green. Belle refused to give up, and kept at her task of opening the small door with a faded star painted on it. Her friends behind her exchanged worried glances.

A cool breeze introduced itself. Caz, who was holding himself despite wearing his warmest winter coat, reached out to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MUZAMMIL HAQUE (India)() published:

patriotism

Paragon of  patriotism
Today, fourteen years-old Hamad would have been at school, not buried deep beneath the earth with his unfulfilled dreams only if he hadn’t tried to enjoy his privilege of right to expression the fascist NRC-CAA union. Last day, he ran into bewilderment in the thick cloud of teargas during demonstration, suddenly he was enveloped in by running-at police batons.
   “How dare you hurt our democracy? InquilabZindabad” he marshalled patriotic courage and shouted again and...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Destination Imagination

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Cimsoc (United States of America)() published:

Worlds in the Sky

Sometimes, people tell you to look at the clouds. They say you can find shapes, like a star, or a heart, or an eye.
But it's not that simple.
Clouds aren't just basic shapes, alone in the sky. They are made of many different parts, combined to show you a whole world.
If you look up, the clouds are there. At first, they might seem like just that. Boring, useless clouds. Nothing but a bunch of little blue-white bumps. Maybe...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Kate Wang (United States of America)() published:

Searching for The Perfect Peach

Note: Emailed illustrations in.

Deep in the leaves of Georgia’s peach trees, sat the house of generous little Juno.

Sitting on the floor, listening for a Click! from the door, Juno waits patiently for Mom to return from the store. 

But instead of a grin, Juno’s Mom came home rather grim. So to cheer up her mother,

Juno went out on a special quest - finding a present, but only the best.

Juno goes searching for the perfect peach.

This...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

sunny.v (United States of America)() published:

The Knight Princess and the Tower Princess

In the far, fabled land of fantasy and magic, there exists exactly what you would imagine! Dragons breathing fire, trolls guarding bridges, and valiant knights saving kingdoms. Every character plays one role.

Well, then there’s Princess Jade.

“So let me get this straight,” says King Quartz. “You want to become a knight?”

“Yes,” answers Jade, confused. “I’m a respected warrior, anyways.”

“But you’re a princess.”

“Well, I can be a princess and a knight!”

King Quartz sighs, leaning his head...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Catherine B. (United States of America)() published:

It's Raining Dinosaurs

Page 1: 
In ancient times long, long ago,
A herd of dinosaurs ate light 
and slept on clouds as white as snow
So they could reach the stars at night.
The dinosaurs were set aglow
Each time they reached up for a bite.
The stars they ate caused them to grow,
But they remained out of our sight.
{Illustration of dinosaurs lounging on fluffly white clouds, basking in the sunlight. Across the page, the effulgence of the day merges into...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Funk_Head (United States of America)() published:

Witchy Wendy and the Conjuring Conundrum(WIP)

It was a beautiful night with clear starry skies and a gleaming half-moon. Sparkling stars for a splendid Saturday night.
And on this night a gang of friends sat in a little girl's room as part of her sleepover.

But...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Witchy" Wendy Wyrm and her friends had a slight problem. As it goes with magic after hours, there's always a problem, right?

"The sleepover was going so well," Wendy thought, "Everyone was having such a good time."

Wendy had...

Seeking Peer Reviews

IDrinkPastaForALiving (United States of America)() published:

Book of Life (illustrations included)

In a land unknown, 
Another story untold,
Three children live their lives.
Ally, Alex and Toni, 
Always passing alongside time.

(A clock with a never ending cycle)

Ally, Alex and Toni,
Were striving day to day.
Always working hard to thrive,
Though they knew when to play. 

(A silloete of Ally losing herself in responsibility)

Ally, Alex and Toni,
Through diverging paths and turns,
Never crumbled,
Nor stumbled,
Always sharing what they learned.

(Silloete of Alex flipping through a book,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

hannahjh1818 (United States of America)() published:

Home

(Page 1) Living alone in the big city was a little scary for a small cat like Annabelle, but she didn't mind it. 
People were always loud and in a hurry, but it excited her.
    Image of a cat in the dark looking over the city
(Page 2) There were a lot of days when the small cat had to fiend with the other neighborhood cats for food, but her naive mind saw this as another adventure. 
  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Huda Ayaz (United States of America)() published:

The Old Deer and the Young Butterfly

(Illustration sent in email)

With not much time left before passing, 
The old Deer wished for a way to live on. 
He was old and clumsy, a bother to many of the younger deer.
Though some other deer were also clumsy, none were as troublesome as the old Deer
Who fell with practically every bump, jump, and foray,
A reason why he lost many of his friends.
Despite having little friends, the old Deer did not yet wish to part...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Nitch77 (United States of America)() published:

A Cat's Adventure

Sammy the cat had a great life.  He played, took naps, and most important of all, spent time with his girl, Ella.  Ella was amazing!  She was a ray of sunshine in Sammy's life.  Ella snuggled with him and played with him every day, and at night she would give Sammy hugs and kisses and they would sleep together in her bed.  
    One day, when Ella was at school and her parents were at work, Sammy...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lina Kang (United States of America)() published:

Adventure awaits

1pg:
Girl: “Daddy, can you read me a bedtime story?”
Dad: “Of course.”

2 pg:
(Dad and Kate are off-screen. Only Dad’s hands holding the book can be seen.)
Dad: “Tonight, I’m going to read to you about a girl named Kate.”
Girl: “She has the same name as me!”
Dad: “Yes, yes she does. Now let me read you this story.”

3pg:
(Girl with a flight helmet, foot on rock, finger-pointing upwards)
Once upon a time, there was a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Alice Yang (United States of America)() published:

The Secret to Raising Forty-Two Children

You'd think that an eccentric place like Xiao Hu would be known for its endless fried fruit buffet, or its devotion to worshiping rabid chickens, or surely, its annual cockroach racing contest. But if you asked the people of Xiao Hu what made their village special, they'd all respond with two words: Grandma Lim.

(A stone pathway cutting through a small open market. To the right lies a seemingly endless buffet filled with fried fruit. To...