This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

No Single Story

Full Details

This prompt has four parts, dear writers:
  1. Read. Visit the “i am a migrant” website and read through five (or more!) of the short bios.
  2. Connect. How do the ideas and information in this reading connect to what you already know about migration? Write a brief paragraph (~200 words) about your connections.
  3. Extend. How does this reading extend or broaden your thinking about migration? How does learning the stories of real individuals “humanize and complicate an issue that is too often reduced to sound bites and data sets” (Teaching Enrique’s Journey, Facing History and Ourselves)? Compose another paragraph (~200 words) in response to these questions.
  4. Challenge: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie speaks in her 2009 TED Talk, “The Danger of a Single Story,” about the ways in which stereotypes shape our perceptions about people whom we perceive as different from ourselves. In another paragraph, tell us: What is the “single story,” the dominant narrative of migration, portrayed or perpetrated by mass media? Does your “i am a migrant” reading challenge or complicate this single story? Why or why not? What new questions does it raise for you?