All writing published for My December Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

1

Jon Nici (Albania)() published:

My December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December is a very special month of the year. December gives me the warmest feelings and reminds me of unforgettable memories. At this time of the year, all I think about is spending time with my family in a warm and relaxing environment while outside is that cold but beautiful environment filled with snow. I always liked winter, and one experience of mine that I will always remember is when I celebrated the New Year’s Eve in Germany, which ended up in...

1

#fightligma (United States of America)() published:

December Days

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

In December, you can forget everything before now. School is coming to an end and the holidays are right ahead. I always feel a certain feeling that I can never really explain when I realize that winter has snuck up on me again. A great quote that sums up my feelings of Christmas is "Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on your troubles will be out of sight." It really shows what the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Cololo231 (United States of America)() published:

How My December Is

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

What I see in December is something I see and hear every year: Christmas carols, snow falling, people laughing and smiling, people having a Christmas dinner, kids waiting for Santa to come and bring presents to their homes, and of course, Santa Claus himself. All these things have made people, including me, happy and there is no stopping it. What I'd like to for my December is to stop and watch some Christmas TV specials, movies, and even send...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Evan Snyder (United States of America)() published:

This I believe

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

This I believe
Whenever someone makes a new groundbreaking discovery people question it because it can alter beliefs people have held their whole lives. When Pythagoras first touted the earth to be round no one believed him because the set of beliefs people held were simple, when lightning strikes, you have angered the gods and when your crops grow, the gods have blessed you. but every time some discovery was made those events could no longer be attributed to a...

Wisp (United States of America)() published:

Something in the Air

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December has always had something in the air. The month has something where people are filled with hope and expectation. Pulling together their strength and energy, people begin to act nicer, and they expect the same from you. But December is not always a nice month.
   We pass this man with a sign everyday and everyday he sits in the same spot with his sign. It always reads "Anything Helps" and we always just pass him by....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

juliehq (United States of America)() published:

Our Snow is Sand

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

The first time I saw snow, it was probably on the television. I must have been a toddler. All throughout Elementary and Middle School I tried to imagine what snow looked like in real life. I wasn’t a weirdo. I’ve seen those beautiful landscape photos that have white snow-dusted trees for miles. But I couldn’t imagine seeing it in real life.
    Let alone, I couldn’t imagine what it felt like. I don't know why people would catch snow...

1

SilverOrchid (United States of America)() published:

Nothing But The Sky

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

The day I got lost in the woods,  I crouched under a stubby tree, the stunted kind that central Texas grew, and flexed my hands. They were numb from the cold and from clutching my longbow, a quiver full of arrows reassuringly strapped to my back.
    Tingles went through my spine as I thought of the best way to find water, the best place to seek shelter, and the possible need to hunt for food. My heart jumped in giddiness,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

amena (United States of America)() published:

A blanket above the city

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

There was something special about the snow in Ulaanbaatar. Maybe it was because it consists of crystals glistening underneath or maybe because sometimes wool falls from the sky soft and warm and sometimes it is tough and jagged pelting down from the heavens. Or just maybe because once in a while, it’s a blizzard of everyone’s emotions compacted into a blanket to reassure the city that it’s safe and sound. 
   December had arrived bringing the sharp dryness, icy winds, forceful...

Seeking Peer Reviews

ishanik (India)() published:

Written in The Stars

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Its never snowed in the city of New Delhi. Where the air is dry and my elbows even more so, I awake each morning to a cacophony of silence. The city sleeps underneath its beautifully thick razai (blanket), relishing the taste of the cool air upon its tongue. Winter arrives once we bid Diwalia heartfelt farewell; a festival notorious for literally, taking our breath away. Nevertheless, we don our intricately designed clothes and meticulously apply layers of Kohl to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AzaBrave (United States of America)() published:

Soaring Since Three Years Old

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

The snow, covering Wilmington, was taller than me. A snowstorm had arrived during the night and carried out all morning. Only now was the howling blizzard settling to a flurry. My mom pulled me in an old sled as I squealed for whatever adventures she had planned. Though I had no idea what "sledding," meant, I still allowed Mom to stuff me into an uncomfortable pink jacket, a pair of gloves, some ugly black snow pants, and boots. I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Amelia Yew (Singapore)() published:

The rain is an allegory

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December was supposed to be a month of festive cheer in the warm, humid, tropical heat in Singapore; a month enjoyed by many. One could head down to Orchard Road and revel in the twinkling decorations set up; the entire area was composed of multiple malls spaced on either side of a wide road, with numerous places to sit and eat alongside the road, christmas lights and decorations draped on the lamposts by the roadside and arches dripping with lights...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Wildblume (United States of America)() published:

December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I had always called December "the dark month" when I was younger. It seemed I was the only one who could find the shadow of glass-snow dusted surface and the threads of dancing sun. 
    My sister, a pretty white rose of a thing, would sit in memory-riddled windows and watch crystals spiral down. 
    I never got to talk to her when she was like this, curled up and frozen. 
    The air was...

1

sweekrati giri (India)() published:

Name the sky

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

When everyone is busy uploading pictures with there loved ones or with the "special one", covered with snow and are having fun, tagging them on every post and letting everybody know how much they love each other,  I'm still busy thinking why snow is white and why can't I eat it, as everything that exist needs to be on my plate, if its veg only, and snow is one of those things. Hi, I'm Sweekrati Giri, a simple girl from...
Seeking Peer Reviews

pippa.maisie (New Zealand)() published:

A Third Culture Christmas

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

My eyes flicker open, to be greeted with a flash of red. I’m wide awake now, it’s my stocking, bulging with presents. The droning whirr of the aeroplane beats in my ears as I look around at my siblings. Toby and Molly are waking up too. Bryn has been watching movies for hours, as usual. I shake my Mum who grumbles to consciousness. Nudging Dad, she permits us to open them. In amazement, I read the letter Santa left. I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

BluenatioN (United States of America)() published:

Escapism

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

In December, one of the worlds was always filled with snow. My father, this big grizzly bear of a man, would pick my sister and me up in his cramped car filled with old food wrappers and plastic bags to take us to his new house. Every December was something new, something unique for us to explore. On Christmas Eve, towns would look abandoned. Ice decorated the streets so we strolled down them at a stunning thirty mph. I could...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Annabelle O’C (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() published:

December's Dissonance

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

It appears to be raining paper, standing at the edge of the London Christmas market, I look up and I am transfixed by the pure white flakes that appear as if from a picture book, settling on the urban pavement and juxtaposing the harsh London setting with their wintery hue. They dance through the air; spinning and leaping and twirling like ballet dancers performing a well-rehearsed routine. They settle in every corner of the monochromatic street, creating a blanket of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Jenna Matus (United Arab Emirates)() published:

Vignettes of Inverted Decembers

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

This December is different. 

Usually, my Decembers are swimming pools and sticky icy poles and scorching in the summer sun. Christmas is an inverted, surreal dream; gone are Santa's reindeer, here he drives six white kangaroos across the desert. The Decembers of my life have always been plastic trees and bikinis, barbecues and drive in movies. The buzz of cicadas and the sounds of galahs in the morning. The Hallmark Christmas, of powder white snow and chalets in the Alps,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

sci-Fi (United States of America)() published:

10

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Where I come from, December means frozen grass one day and seventy degree hail storms the next.

My favorite subject in school is Latin, and the Latin root of the word "december" is decem, meaning "ten". The ancient Romans had a ten month calendar instead of our modern twelve-month, and December was the tenth month, hence the name. Once we finally figured out that the Romans were wrong and invented two more months, we just must have been too...

Imogene Kotze (South Africa)() published:

forever changing weather

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

For years December had always been, as I remember a rush of childish delight and a race between my sister and I to be the first to start decorating the house for Christmas. The first light of morning on the 1st of December would be the signal and my sister and I would hurriedly scramble out of bed and stumble down the passage way to our parents bedside, chanting our simultaneous wish to start decorating the house- for me these...

Seeking Peer Reviews

forever changing weather

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

issa_dy (United States of America)() published:

My December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

What does December mean to me? December means a lot of things to me. Winter break, Christmas, hanging out with friends, the dreaded flu season and so much more. Winter is full of festivities and holidays to embark on with your friends and family. Each winter I grow closer to the people in my life because of it.
My all time favorite part of winter are the festivities. I love making cookies, setting up a Christmas tree, and having holiday...

2

Tuba (Pakistan)() published:

December in my part of the world.

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December! You hear this word, what comes to your mind? Snow, cold breeze, waking up, going to school, college or your workplace, and breathing in and out cold air. Well, I can't say more because where I live, December is nowhere like this.
In my part of the world, December is different. Pakistan is a vast country the variation of winter is different in each part of my homeland. My city, Karachi faces cold which is not too cold. With...

Seeking Peer Reviews

11

Amalia (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() published:

A Taken Seat At An Empty Table

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

My job is trifle.
My job is potatoes.
My job is drinks.
My job is table.

Plate, knife, fork, spoon, glass, napkin, cracker.
Repeat sixteen times.

They file in at about eleven, all beaming and flushed from the London chill, milling in through the door and planting kisses on cheeks and presents in arms, while Mum whisks about the kitchen. She darts her head into the living room from time to time with a 'dinner will be ready in ten...

Seeking Peer Reviews

drodikov1441 (Canada)() published:

Warm December Memories

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December for me is always something new and exciting, a promised fun that holds itself in this cold month. My birthday is in December, and but it is still not the most important thing about this month. I come from Russia, where December is always cold, and it snows almost every single day. Now that I live in Calgary, Canada, winter is often cold with a couple of warm chinooks (warm winds from the mountains) that melt everything...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

mhuy (United States of America)() published:

Gifts are Temporary; Family is Forever

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December has always meant something to me, but a particular Christmas a few years ago opened up my eyes to the wondrous joy that the holiday has to offer. 
    On Christmas morning, I groggily pushed myself out of bed, the smell of pine floating through the air. I went through my morning routines methodically: make my bead, brush my dirty-blonde hair, and open my curtains. 
    As I did the latter, bright light flashed in my vision....