All writing published for My December Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

1

tuxedorabbit (United States of America)() published:

A Thorn in December's Rose

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

There is a small spot in our town where the water fills up and floods during December. Compared to the rest of the surrounding neighborhoods, the elevation is lower and a snaking sidewalk cuts through the park. Dirt path shortcuts are muddied with rain, washing away bike tracks and footprints. Sometimes turkey tracks can be spotted within the flattened grasses. 

An elementary school sits southwest of the park, and children often come to bike, play ball, and meet with friends....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Aidan Bagley (United States of America)() published:

What December Means to Me

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December to me means a glimmer of lights, a feast of kings, and the time to make amends.
It means it's time to finish the goal set at the start of the year, to make the final trek towards the completion of another year.
    When December starts coming in, so does the chilling air. Making the water still, icing the roads, and sending a sharp breath of wind to any ongoing citizens. Chilling them down to the bone...

Eshwar Venkataswamy (United States of America)() published:

All That Matters

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Maybe this year will be different. Forcing my eyelids open, I throw my blanket beside my bed and rush to the only window in my room. Peeking from through the dusty window blinds, I stare at the endless white ahead. The powdery overnight snow seems to abduct just about everything in our neighborhood. Trash cans, mailboxes, and fire hydrants disappear under the enveloping smoothness of the snow's thick coating. I laugh at the irony of the numbingly freezing snow...

LuckyRose (United States of America)() published:

What is the meaning of Christmas to me?

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

This is my first contest, and a part of me feels excited and nervous at the same time. It all started as an assignment for creative writing class and at the beginning I didn't wanted to do it I felt as if it was something unnecessary mainly because all of my works are more for myself, I don't like sharing them with people since I feel they would say is horrible, but I know that from failure comes success and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

glee.gymnast (United States of America)() published:

Christmas Controversy

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

People say December is the best time of the year. The time for lights and trees. The time for snow and gifts. The time for singing with family and dreaming of a fat man with a white beard. But I personally don’t like Christmas. Call me Scrooge if you want, but atleast hear me our first. As much as people like to say Christmas means the birth of our savior, and the beginning of the foundation for Christianity, we know...

Colton (United States of America)() published:

Lights

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Lights

The wave of colors emitted from the tree is a remarkable sight. Blues, Greens, Reds, and Yellows blur into one, perfect body.

I consider that the fundamental appeal for your Christmas tree, resides within the lights. They portray a key characteristic in relation to your family. For example, If your family prefers to use a variety of colors or even assortments of modes: fading or flickering, this can depict a quality of lightheartedness, or joy. Perhaps if your family...

KayneJinks (United States of America)() published:

Tis' The Season

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I see the days start to grow shorter and the beautiful lavishing colors start to fade. The weather becomes cooler, and the clothes start to pile on to all of the frail bodies. Waterfowl migrates to the south for an eventful hunt. I travel to different states to find them, and seize them for a delicious meal. Joyful music talking about reindeer, Santa, and Christmas fills the ears of everyone. I see everyone so happy and pleased as I roam...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

IDrinkPastaForALiving (United States of America)() published:

Mending

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

It is December 24th, 2018.

It feels rather cold in my room, due to the fact that my family doesn't have central heat. My room is messy and dimly lit, casting a yellow glow from the nicotine stains on the walls.The smell of mildew from the  navy blue carpet. I'm not that excited for the gifts, as I'm more excited with seeing my mom. I haven't seen her since August. She is up with her boyfriend, as mom and dad...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Wavy212 (United States of America)() published:

The Real Meaning of Christmas

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December to me automatically means Christmas.  Family, gifts, giving and receiving. Although we don't celebrate the religious aspect, the spirit of Christmas fills our home.  We get a real tree, it sits in the living room with hundreds of ornaments making every branch shine, lights making the pine needles come alive.  Eggnog with cinnamon and nutmeg sprinkled on top, the brisk winter air outside, the heat cranked up inside, the old version of Let It Snow playing softly in the...

1

nedthequeen2 (United States of America)() published:

Why December is Awesome

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I can’t even contain my excitement when I think about the month of December. It’s one of my favorite months, if not, my most favorite month of the year. It’s not just because of Dec. 25 but it’s the whole month in general. I love the holiday season. I love seeing everyone's creativity come out with their holiday decorations. I love the winter fashions. I love the cheerful giving that many participate in. It’s the one month of the year...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Morgan Wordelmann (United States of America)() published:

My Christmas Tree

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December is a time of lights. Everything is wrapped in glowing lines: the houses, trees, ugly sweaters. Part of it must be simply festivities. It's lights! Look Mom! They're flashing! I chose to believe that our obsession with lights comes from making merry one of the darkest months of the year. 
    The sun sets so early that by the time I leave school after play rehearsal, heavy shadows have settled over now empty fields. As I drive through...

Seeking Peer Reviews

HelpMe512 (United States of America)() published:

Music, Ice, and Christmas Lights

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh

The words seeped through the walls of my room, and I curled the blanket around me tighter. I buried my face farther into the soft fabric. Of course Christmas music was playing. What else could be played in this frigid, dreary month? The upbeat tune kept playing from speakers down the stairs, the simple rhyme filling the air...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

mercy.degraves (Canada)() published:

December Moments

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I should be happy. The brilliant colours wrapping around the dark silhouette of our Christmas tree become stars as they refract through my tears. Each light dances to some unheard music, disrupting the warm blanket of nighttime darkness. Not even the waltzing snow dares to disrupt the sacred silence of night. I probably should’ve brought a blanket, the winter chill ruthlessly sneaks past my cotton pajamas and wool socks. All around the world; excitement builds, everyone ready for the...

Soph_thewriter (United States of America)() published:

Dear Santa

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Dear Santa, 
For me, the month of December is more than simply awaiting a pile of gifts wrapped under a Christmas tree. Its spirit is greater than cheesy hallmark movies, scorching hot chocolate that burns the tongue, or even eagerly watching the clock tick down to the first day of winter break. 

Because for me, December is not just Christmas. It's the month to be a little kinder, a little more generous, a little more forgiving. Christmas is the month...

2
1

A Rose (United States of America)() published:

my childhood feels like its eating up my life and i cant figure out how to appreciate it

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

On the East Coast of the United States, you might think there would be snow in December. There hasn't been since I was little--since I belted out “Let It Go” with a flourish and confidence I haven’t matched since then. Maybe this lack of snow is because of global warming or maybe it's just how it's always been and those younger years were an accident or maybe it’s because I gave up trying to use my magical Elsa-Esque snow abilities.  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

YasYas (United States of America)() published:

A Different December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I woke up this morning with puffy eyes. We got a call from my family back home in Michigan yesterday, my grandma, or my Teta as we called her in Arabic, had been taken to the hospital. She'd woken up that night calling for her husband. When she got to the hospital we were told she was 97% brain dead. They were going to take her off  the tubes and bring her back to her natural temperature at 3:00 am....

Seeking Peer Reviews

tookyourtree (Finland)() published:

Quiet nights and sad thoughts

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Quiet nights, sad thoughts, and a full stomach. This is what my December is. The gray weather turns to a more light-up version of the world. Snow covers the ground and makes the world seem silent. Every worry seems to be gone at least for a second in the beautiful white snowfall that covers your whole eyesight. Christmas lights start to pop up on peoples' windows and the world seems like it puts all differences aside for a second.
The...

fedi ben othmen (Tunisia)() published:

December as a 15

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

First, take your deepest breath , second arrange your thoughts,third put pen into  paper and express it as you mean it that's December, 15-day Holiday. Could it enough?
 you can't do such things in 15. In Tunisia, it's kind of tough or at least to me.
I'm that boy who will turn to 16 on December 13, happy birthday to me . I'm that boy who loves to cook and since it's December and holiday, I have to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

ava09 (United States of America)() published:

Happy Birthday To Me

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

It's hard to have a December birthday. Ask anyone who does, and they'll agree. Sandwiched between three of the biggest holidays of the year (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's), it's so, so easy to get lost. I know I feel lost sometimes.
    My birthday is December 9th, and I turn 16 this year. It's supposed to be a big deal, a huge birthday. My Sweet Sixteen. Driver's Licence time! And it will be, only I'm not...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

CrossdeLena (Nigeria)() published:

Cold Decembers on Campus

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December means walking down the streets of the quiet University campus in which I live, with my hands tucked deep in the pockets of my hood, and side by side with my sister, while breathing in the cold, dry air tickling the hair in my nostrils and whipping against our bare feet, clad only in sandals.

Mother admonishes us to weak socks ever so often, and we nod, but whenever we go out on one of our long walks, we...

1

JakeFrommStateFarm (United States of America)() published:

December to Remember

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I look out the window. It's snowing. When I was younger, I would try to count the snowflakes as they fell to the ground. But today, my head is too full of other worries.
    It's Christmas Eve at my grandma's house. And even though the house is full of cousins and aunts and uncles I don't even know, I'm as lonely as a snowman in a desert.
    My cousins Davy and Amy, both six years...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jay Q (Canada)() published:

As the Snow Changes, You Do Too

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

It would be false of me to say, "I hate December." That is not true. But it would also be false if I say, "December is the best month," for that would be a great lie too.

One can tell when December is approaching in my city. When November comes to a close, the crisp, colored leaves of various reds and oranges drift far from their trees as they are replaced by the gentle fall of snowflakes. The doors of...

Ingo Woolleu (Antarctica)() published:

Buddy And Darth

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Buddy and Darth
By Ingo
This is a universe not ruled by humans anymore. You see, this story takes place way after humans went extinct, after they damaged the planet by burning fossil fuels. The pollution got so bad that the cats and dogs had to do something. Luckily, they found a way to survive. Cats learned new things and slowly took over the world. They discovered how to make a spaceship that can travel at light speed. The universe...

Seeking Peer Reviews

atlas (India)() published:

December Says

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Sometimes I have a lot to say. Mostly stories to tell, funny ones. I feel a sense of accomplishment when the person in front of me cracks a laugh, something rises in my chest when I see the corners of someone's lips slowly turn upwards into a smile because of me. When I was young I once heard Ma call me her personal T.V. and boy did I embrace it.

But I like to keep some of my stories aside...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

paranatellon (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() published:

LATE NIGHT SHOPPING

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

There's no better way to set the mood for December than with rejection.

It wasn't as if I was surprised: he showed no signs of liking me, and I wasn't delusional enough to trick myself into thinking otherwise, but it was the year of 'shooting my shot' and the bullet ricocheted, hitting me in the chest. Hard.
Either way, when Molly dragged me out of my house that freezing winter evening I wasn't in the mood to let her whisk...