All writing published for My December Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

adanrosales (United States of America)() published:

Slide

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Snow falls silently to the ground. It lays there peacefully until the sun greet it with warmth. The clouds cover the sky, no sunlight shines through.
    11 inches of snow lay in my backyard. My dogs, who are used to the dry weather, run in circles not knowing where the food they buried the previous night was. My mom and brother caught the stomach flu. Whenever their stomach bothers them, they ask for a 7-Up. With the roads a slippery...

Seeking Peer Reviews

hsinfjt (Singapore)() published:

Snapshots

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December in Singapore is like an expansive air-conditioned room. Except that the room is being relentlessly assaulted by armies of raindrops and vicious gusts of wind that seep into your skin whenever you try to pry open the windows. When you don’t, it even becomes oddly comforting. The thought crosses my mind as I sit at my desk, tucked away from the unforgiving storm beyond the panes. All I can hear is the rhythmic pattering of water as it rebounds...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Vivicastro0 (United States of America)() published:

Warm

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December always meant waking up at 5 am too hot chocolate and pancakes. To presents and snow. It meant seeking warmth between layers of fabrics sprawled across me. It meant watching my little sisters greedily rip through wrapping paper, dismissing the hours of the loss of sleep created by staying up and wrapping in secret. December meant birthdays and celebrations. But December also meant no Dad.
For as long as I can remember, Christmas was always me, my little sisters,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Julia ♬ (United States of America)() published:

Juniper Boughs

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I walked along the worn, muddy path, stepping carefully to avoid the silvery patches of ice that shone in the late afternoon sunlight. My breath froze in a thin white cloud of mist that hung in the air for a moment before fading away. I kept my hands in the warm pockets of my coat, and in my right hand I gripped a pair of red-handled clippers. I would use them to cut fragrant green boughs from the juniper trees...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Elizabeth Diaz (United States of America)() published:

My December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December 
December is the time of year when the joy and excitement of Christmas coming fills the cool winter air. For me I cannot be any more excited when I hear the that it’s Christmas time. The week before Christmas I get so excited and start anticipating that this year, it’s going to be a great Christmas. Then I always remember the things that make December memorable like listening and singing to Christmas music, wrapping presents, and going over for...

vhatch5097 (United States of America)() published:

My December Competition

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Boogie With Stu (United States of America)() published:

Walking In A Winter Wonderland

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

When Autumns leaves of golden brown lay covered with frost and snow upon the ground. December means winter's begun and the wood stove is going. All the leafless trees only make the evergreens stand out more, and the cloudy skies let the sun shine every now and then. It's raining right now but sometimes it snows. My opinion on the snow is that it's perfectly beautiful but as I go outside to admire it I find to cold for taste. When...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Saachi (India)() published:

Decembers in Mumbai

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

The Christmas music always begins to play in the first few days of December– songs about white Christmases, cold evenings and snowmen that come alive– even as the sun outside glowers relentlessly. The contrast doesn't really throw me off anymore– in my head, I'm somewhere else. A somewhere with snow-covered roofs, a Christmas tree full of colours and a crackling fireplace.

I always tell my friends outside the country that Christmas isn't really big here, in India. There's always the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Rylan Andor Florence (United States of America)() published:

A December for the Few

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

To others, December kindles candle-lit memories of snow-kissed evergreen trees and the aromatic flush of pine throughout the den. I see the firelight dancing behind your eyes and I know you see it too: children laughing and playing as snowflakes flutter from the clouds like so many sunset-tinged leaves only weeks ago, a kitchen brimming with the scent of apple pie and sugar cookies, a family gathered 'round a mahogany table sharing food for both body and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kaartika (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() published:

Something Different

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Coming from India, a place rich with culture, diversity and lots of festivals, many people expect my life to be a party. Almost every month there’s an occasion coming up, whether it’s something personal like a birthday or a wedding, or a public holiday for Diwali it calls for a huge celebration. It’s great to have something to look forward to all the time, but it’s also overwhelming with so much going on at once. Sometimes, I just want to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Maia Reppe (United States of America)() published:

Lights

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Too bright! Fifty feet away and all I could see were the bright, twinkling Christmas lights wrapped around nearly every house on the block. As I neared closer and closer to my house, each house came into focus yet every light still seemed to shine as brightly as ever but, only at this time of year were they out. The cold winds snapping against my dry, cracked skin as I tried to get to my house as fast as...

Msan (Australia)() published:

It isn't a Christmas tree!

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

You know that summer’s coming up when you start reading about the impending power outages which will come as a result of everyone reaching to switch on their air-conditioners. In this hot, dry continent of ours, Australia, the sound of December is that of countless bushfire warnings over the radio. “There is an active watch-and-act alert near Katoomba, NSW” says the newsreader, and the same of countless other places. City-dwellers like me fret little about what goes on in the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

a_hint_of_sunshine (Australia)() published:

The December Glow

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I took a bite. Mmmmnnn. The taste of Australian summer. The searing heat enveloped me, warming my chest and delightfully burning a hole in my tongue. This charred, processed meat does not imitate perfection or promote aristocracy, no. It is merely an unapologetic larrikin, much-loved by all it meets. The swirling of succulent sausage and smooth tomato sauce collided with the bland buttery bread, creating, indeed, an ambrosia, a food of the gods. I devour my ‘snag’, a barbecued sausage...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

astrorbit__04 (Morocco)() published:

December Soup

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December, the last month of the year. What's so special about it? Why does everyone make a supposed "big deal" about it, my younger self chimed? Truly, the month couldn't just be as boring as you think I replied. She and I were in the kitchen looking for onions, ready to make onion soup. 

My perfect December consisted of, staying outside in the sprinkling rain and harsh winds. I couldn't get enough of it, and I felt energized whenever I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Emily Li (United States of America)() published:

My Decembers

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

The cold air brushed between my toes as the morning air blew a gust of winter weather towards my room. I wanted to stay. Not to get more sleep but for the sake of the warmth I felt underneath the covers. It was different. Different from all the other mornings I woke up to, it made me feel cozy inside. 
After laying absentmindedly, I decided that it was time to get up. My feet hit the floor, feeling the cold...

Stephen (Nigeria)() published:

ONCE UPON A TIME IN DECEMBER

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

ONCE UPON A TIME IN DECEMBER 
             Paulo Coelho de Souza once said "It is always important to know when something has reached its end. Closing circles, shutting doors, finishing chapters, it doesn't matter what we call it; what matters is to leave in the past those moments in life that are over". When I was younger I...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Jazzy1535 (United States of America)() published:

Similar, Yet Not the Same

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Every child looks forward to December. They eagerly anticipate the merry, gift-giving holidays intermingled with the homework-free prospect of winter break. I’m just like them. However, rather than yearn for bountiful gift exchanges, I look forward to my family’s Christmas traditions.
        First order of business: buying a Christmas tree. Mom always tries to convince Dad and I not to purchase one, for she loathes the ever-falling needles that always soil our plush, white carpet. She proposes we buy a fake...

Seeking Peer Reviews

adelynfowler1234 (United States of America)() published:

December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Growing up in Sacramento meant that I never had snowy christmas mornings, or snowball fights, or snow days at school. I never had the classic December weather that seemed to be in all of the Hallmark movies my mom and I would watch. I learned to stop wanting the classic December in the movies, and I learned the love the one that I have. Christmas to me became about love, family, and silly traditions.
    No matter what, every year...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

kate_writes_stuff (Canada)() published:

December in Lynn Valley

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

When I was fourteen, I spent December thinking about how beautiful he was. The Students' Council did an 'ugly sweater day' as one of our Spirit Events To Promote School Spirit. He wore this weird fuzzy red thing that didn't really look good on him. It didn't quite compliment his undertones the same way his blue coat did. I'd recognize that blue coat anywhere. Everyone wears their coats into class since I guess the school district is too...

Blackbird (India)() published:

In A Small Town

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Snow surely isn’t the first thing one thinks of when they hear of India but in a small town up in the north, snow is not a stranger. Coming from a little town with traces of British architecture, December in my part of the world is silent.

You know that December has arrived when small shopkeepers who would put up their stock out for display finally prefer to put almost all of it indoors fearing the unpleasant weather. But, you...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Farzeen Rashid (Canada)() published:

Promised Land

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I rise to the obscurity of dawn. The isolation of my chamber, and the sudden grasp that my dreaming has ended, well, for one night at least. My bed is unexpectedly snug, it’s delightful, and insanely pleasant! I shut my eyes for a second, wishing to go back to my dreamy unconscious, where November rain clouds are now frosty snowstorms, and delicate raindrops have transformed to crystal diamonds, and Santa Claus has taken a visit a bit too early. I...

1
1

Molly Ondich (United States of America)() published:

Unity

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I was raised in a loosely catholic household. One that valued the church and had large saint statues in the backyard but decided it wouldn’t be the end of the world if we missed mass occasionally. I do not resent my catholic upbringing, in fact I believe it’s helped inform that woman I am today. Yet when I reached the age of twelve I started having serious doubts about the church. One of the major issues I found...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Farzeen Rashid (Canada)() published:

Promised Land

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

m! (United States of America)() published:

Selfless December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Sometimes I forget I should be thankful for what I have. A warm home lets me escape the cold and a car will take me wherever I want to go. Still, it is easy to forget how much I value something until I see someone without it.

My parents and I approached the church in our shiny, black BMW. We were a dark, busted lightbulb on a string of rainbow Christmas lights. Earlier, the grocery store had erased...

tristawilliams_1 (United States of America)() published:

What December Means To Me

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

When it begins to feel cold, and you walk outside to soon feel the goosebumps scattering across your skin, when the night begins to fall earlier in the evening, when you drive through towns to see flashy and captivating lights hung along the buildings, is the moment you realize that the month of December has begun. December is seen as a joyful month to all those who surround me in my life. This is usually due to the well...

Seeking Peer Reviews