All writing published for My December Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

Maryam Q (Malaysia)() published:

The Future of Cars

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

40 floors above the ground, I can see all the glory of Malaysia from my bedroom window: a colourful blend of bright green trees, little red houses, and tall, glass buildings winking merrily in the light of the sun. If you were to stick your head out the window, the first thing that would hit you is the heat; the air in Malaysia is heavy with humidity, and there is not much wind. Birds would dart past you in a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Kii (United States of America)() published:

My loathsome seasonal feelings

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Time felt endless from each step I took. The deep snow reached above my 6-year-old knees and the slush that rubbed against it was the worst sensation I ever felt. My eyes grew wearier and I grew tired. The numbness pounded against my fingers that tightly clutched around the plastic bag from Safeway, almost causing it to go blue. Each time I couldn't, I was pulled swiftly by my Mom's hand, tugging me to go forward even if I knew...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

taleasteele (United States of America)() published:

A Foreign Christmas

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Foreign tastes flood my mouth. Expecting the traditional dry turkey and creamy white mashed potatoes, I am instead met with an equally as dry duck and peculiar instructions to add cranberry sauce then to proceed by wrapping the two together in a tortilla. The mixture of flavors chokes me, but I swallow them down with a swig of ice-cold water desperately trying not to draw an ounce of attention to myself. The people around me could be speaking a foreign language for all I know; not like I would be able to hear them since being exiled to this so-called children's table. The boredom is no good and I can’t help my mind but to imagine what I would be...

1

sofianelson02 (United States of America)() published:

My Decembere

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

My December  

By: Sofia Nelson 

December has always been one of my favorite months. The Christmas, snow, and sparkly lights that put that month at the top of my list. Sitting on the couch with my family watching Charlie Brown, frosting sugar cookies with my grandma, and most importantly, the Christmas music.  

My most memorable December was the Christmas of 2010. I was 8 years old. At the time, we were living at my grandparents' house, getting ready...

1

Porter Nicole (United States of America)() published:

Once Upon a December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I sit on the couch with my siblings and mom. The “Polar Express” music sings through the speakers as the lights on the tree behind us twinkle and dance. We hear the engine of a car as it rumbles by our house; the headlights beam into the front windows, glaring into our eyes. Only as the engine shuts off do we realize the vehicle has pulled into our driveway. Anxiously, my mom pauses the movie and stands, my siblings and...

papagal (United States of America)() published:

Caroling the Night Away

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Anticipations are high. Our little hands are frozen and clutching car keys to make a jingling sound once we start singing. The lights in front of the house make an icicle pattern in lieu of real icicles in southern California. Finally, when an adult gives the cue, we all burst out in our rendition of "Jingle Bells." With smiles on their faces, the family inside the house opens the door and listens as twenty children and some of their parents...

3

Laur (United States of America)() published:

Changing Blues

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Cold sparkles, hot chocolate, wet clothing.
I found solace in the snow, still and unmoving. Harsh and freezing, winter (December) was the season (month) of bitter storms, of piercing winds, and of frozen fingers. I loved it.
​                                                                                ---
The...

2

Julianne0918 (United States of America)() published:

Entropy

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Even my trip to the grocery store didn’t go as planned.

Ribs, I learned, were much more expensive that what I knew it to be. Vegetables, apparently, could only be bought in bulk. The soy sauce, sugar, and cooking wine needed for galbi-jjim did not come in small amounts. It was no wonder that as I sat down to prepare the food for my favorite dish, I was already feeling the familiar numbing side effect of December.

“Hey...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Camelia Heins (United States of America)() published:

Clouds of Cold Air

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

My family doesn’t have any traditions for the holidays, mostly because we don’t have any extended family to celebrate near us. Instead, December rolls around like it’s any other month. But for me, December is more than just a month. It marks the beginning of winter. It marks the end of the year. It marks the happy times, like 5-year-old me sledding in the snow, and the sad times, like those “cold” California winter nights. For me, December is a...

1

Nicholas Ochoa (United States of America)() published:

December Hell

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December is supposed to be this magical, delightful 31 days; for many, it is but for me, it wasn’t. It was December 12, 2011, where I came to a realization that my dad has not been here for the past 3 years. After that realization that December was the worst time of my life because my dad was not present for any of the accomplishments, I had, due to being stationed in Afghanistan or Kuwait because of his military...
Seeking Peer Reviews

jazkasteler (United States of America)() published:

The snow

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December, the month loathed most by Jazmin. Even though she had lived her whole life in the cold winters of Utah, she still had a hatred for the chilling weather that came with the month of December. Snow was not something that interesting to her. Going out and willingly putting yourself on two wooden skis’ for fun? No thanks, she’d rather stay inside and watch ELf on repeat.  
    Although earlier in her years, she had loved the snow. The memories of sledding down muller park’s...

1

sabriel (United States of America)() published:

A Season of Noise

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

“Do we have to go?”
    “Yes,” Amma would say. I’d swallow, my face contorting. Arguments would tumble from my lips but, like my emotions, I’d soon lose a reign on them and then the entire conversation, as my mother somehow always seemed to manage to maneuver me into a corner.
    (“No more complaining,” she’d say. “Or I’ll ban you from going to the library.” That always shut me up real fast.)
    The last expression my face would make...

Seeking Peer Reviews

sunny.v (United States of America)() published:

Two Realms of December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

It doesn’t snow in Houston. Not even in the dead of winter. That doesn’t mean you can’t feel the cold, even inside the bustling segments of Hong Kong City Mall. Every few moments, the automatic doors will open, welcoming a breath of frigid wind into the complex, and everyone shivers as one.

My family and I dodge shopping carts pushed by people who hurry to toss rau muống into a plastic bag. I just laugh with my younger cousins as...

Seeking Peer Reviews

NorthStar (United States of America)() published:

Carries Along the Wind...

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

The wind howled, carrying with it dreams and stories that beckoned to you with star-studded eyes...

The lights shone like vibrant stars, twinkling in shades of blue, red, and green. They had a far-off look to them, as if they lay somewhere in the distance, rather than only a few feet away. I put on my glasses and the crystal bulbs became clear once again. Outside the day was a dreary gray, the clouds overcast, while snow pattered across the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Caroling the Night Away

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Anticipations are high. Our little hands are frozen and clutching car keys to make a jingling sound once we start singing. The lights in front of the house make an icicle pattern in lieu of real icicles in southern California. Finally, when an adult gives the cue, we all burst out in our rendition of "Jingle Bells." With smiles on their faces, the family inside the house opens the door and listen as twenty children and some of their parents...

Anish Aradhey (United States of America)() published:

Powdered Sugar Snow

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December in the Shenandoah mountains is marked by gray forests: once lush and vibrant but now brown and bare, revealing the bound of a white-tailed deer and the scamper of a camouflaged hare. Through the window, I watch the silhouettes of walnut trees sway in the cold wind. This is a landscape and town stripped of green - a skeleton of our lives. This is December. 
    My toes are numb against the hardwood floor. All is quiet, for the rest...

Seeking Peer Reviews

carlota.3 (United States of America)() published:

Ineffable

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

As I stepped out of the airport into the moonlit night and her warm embrace, my feet sank into the ground as I felt an unbearable feeling of joy. I was home. 
Approaching her open arms brought back the feelings of yearning for safety within the walls of my mother's arms. Protection. Love. But these times were different. The hugs did not prove to be a human shield, but rather a way for me to bathe in the warmth of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Maryam Q (Malaysia)() published:

The Future of Cars

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

5
1

MarSan (Mexico)() published:

White in the Smallest Corner of the Universe.

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

In the smallest corner of the Universe, December looks a lot like nostalgia. It looks a lot like a reminder that I'm not staying for long. Frostbit mornings aren't strong enough to keep old women inside their houses when they could be blessing each house in the town instead. Armed with plastic flowers, colorful shawls and a faith stronger than that of kings and soldiers, they tenderly cradle their saints between their arms. Rosaries twisted around calloused fingers, fantasy pearls...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Farzeen Rashid (Canada)() published:

Promised Land

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

I rise to the obscurity of dawn. The isolation of my chamber, and the sudden grasp that my dreaming has ended, well, for one night at least. My bed is unexpectedly snug, it’s delightful, and insanely pleasant! I shut my eyes for a second, wishing to go back to my dreamy unconscious, where November rain clouds are now frosty snowstorms, and delicate raindrops have transformed to crystal diamonds, and Santa Claus has taken a visit a bit too early. I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AmberFlame (United States of America)() published:

December in the Airport

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

The cold pierced my skin like a thousand long needles. Reaching through three layers of warm fabric, it touched my arms and legs and chest. The evening had just begun to unfold, the sunset ceasing. Living in Austin was not as summery as I had expected it to be, but I suppose it was my fault to expect the elegant winter months to be summery. These months always had such pride behind them, almost a haughtiness. The other months certainly...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

♛DaBolo♛ (United States of America)() published:

The Man of December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December is the hot chocolate we sip by the fireplace, it is the fluorescent moonlight that reflects of the man in the moon, the Man of December I like to say. I really love how everyone forgets their pains in the world. How everyone smiles and laughs. Although the season is cold, and lonely, we all share warmth and joy inside our hearts. Tree picking is great, I love how we pick out evergreen delights. Searching the fields for the perfect...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Glyxine (Singapore)() published:

Not Snow but Cold Showers

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

December means showers.  

The pitter-patter of raindrops against the windows of the bus, a silent noise which drowns out the chattering of the commuters, the whirring of the engines. Restless clattering of shoes against the floor of the bus, people clamouring for a seat and waving their goodbyes. The kids are giggling and dancing as a soft voice sings in the background, the voice of a stranger in all its out-of-tune glory.  

Conversations spark between families about what’s for lunch....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Abigail Garner (United States of America)() published:

My December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

The December month has really changed for me in the past few years. I guess that comes with growing up. As a little kid, December was always my favorite time of year, but as I’ve gotten older, it has become my favorite for a different reason.
    December always brought a heaping load of chaos into my family as a child, but the good kind of chaos. The kind where everyone is moving around, baking, cooking, decorating, or buying gifts....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Andrea Suarez (United States of America)() published:

Just As Good

PROMPT: My December Competition 2019

There are twelve months in a year and for some strange reason I have always only cared for one. That month, where lights illuminate every household, and children attempt to behave particularly good, is December. For the larger part of my life, I loved December, until I began to hate Christmas.
    December is my birthday month. Every year, my parents would go the extra mile to make my birthday perfect. I was lucky enough to have great friends that would...