All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

SenTakatsuki (India) published:

When I looked up, I could no longer look...

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I was too young to remember it well, but as far as I was told, I fell down when I was three but when I looked up, I could no longer look.
Naturally, I was given special treatment. My parents were there at my beck and call. My most favourite question was, “Tell me, how do I look?”
They could never answer me. When they described my clothing, I would say, “No I mean, how can my eyes see me?”...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Ari Heff (United States) published:

Anything Other Than the Guilt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

He could remember a lot about his past, from the shadows on a bedroom wall to the furrow in his mother’s brow that wrinkled whenever she was upset-- whenever she was disappointed in him-- which was a lot. He remembered more than that, crouched uncomfortably in the alleyway, but then one memory stumbled to the surface: it was almost exactly a year ago. He had been fifteen, two weeks before his sixteenth birthday. A mostly normal day by any account,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

inkskinned (Hong Kong) published:

A Family of Strangers

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

What am I doing here? I wondered for the millionth time. For a moment, the unease that burrowed in my chest had almost disappeared, banished by broth and warmth and an admittedly cozy kitchen, but it reared up again, on hind legs this time, and knocked against my bones so incessantly my body felt as if it was being demolished by a wrecking ball -from the inside out. Worst of all, Miss Normain’s words continued to taunt me...
Seeking Peer Reviews

L3X∅L∅TL (United States) published:

Desolation Days

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"Donnie! Donnie!", I try to open my eyes but I can't, I can't move. There's a kick at my chest. It's a defibilator. I'm awake! I'm alive! Why can't they hear me? A familar sound drones.
"No! Donnie! Donnie!", Jamia it's okay. You, the kids will-
"Clear!", I stiffly rise, shaking and breathing, ragged, looking at the terrified staff. A hand comes for me and I start glowing white hot.
My body goes into auto-pilot, pulling out the IV and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Maryam Q (Malaysia) published:

When The Fire Left Her Eyes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"Are you okay? Gosh, uh, that was... my mistake. I'm just tired, I guess." Letty managed an apologetic smile. 

"HAH! TIRED! JUST ANOTHER WORD FOR LAZY! PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE AN EMBARRASSMENT TO SOCIETY! I KNOW FOR A FACT - A FACT - THAT YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE" The tall lady with the face as red as her temper and an air of arrogance about her would not have been happy to know that Letty was in fact not paying any attention...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

thetypingsiren (United Kingdom) published:

A Bright Young Thing

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

12th July 1924

'Evelyn!' Robert Harrington exclaimed.
    Mr Harrington was a large, plump man of about 40. He wore a dignified tuxedo that hugged too tightly around his waist so he looked more like a walrus dressed for a gala than a man but was well respected in this room, having been an officer in the war. As he told me over many awkward silences in his office, 1918 came and went and he had chosen to return to his...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

PerceptandImagine (Australia) published:

Vampire Therapy

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Tap,Tap, Ta- 

"Nerissa... Nerissa Eckles?" 

Her eyes flew open, body arching in her seat at the weathered skin of a hand shaking her shoulder. The sensation of the paper flyer digging into her palm, as sharp as the tooth of time, reminding her of her surroundings. 

Want the chance at immorality? No more wrinkles, sickness or fear of death... With a huge bonus of $10,000!
Book an appointment at your local medical centre today to begin your completely free experimental...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Purny Ahmed (Australia) published:

The Girl Who Spoke To The Moon

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

She stared off into the space in front of her, into the shadows of night, and curled into herself. Pulling her knees to her chest she laid on her side and felt the fear and anger and sadness wash away happiness. In a too-big bed she drowned; cold sweat froze in her crevasses. 

How does someone feel death?

The garden of roses ofthat grew in her body died, the petals blackened and fell and leaving the thorns to claw at...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

Maya! (Canada) published:

Jill

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

In the olden days, when our house was still new, folks liked to have cellar doors. Of course, every cellar door needs a cellar in order to be a cellar door; so, though the cellar doors themselves were long gone, our house still had an old cellar. A small flight of stairs led into it, and the darkness beyond was populated by cobwebs, loose insulation, and, frequently, a cat. 

Jill climbed the dusty, rotting steps, and her upper half disappeared...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6

Ali S (Australia) published:

Empty

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"Do you still talk to her?"

Eleanor peers at him, pale and freckle-faced.

"No," she whispers, as one does in the dark. "Not anymore."

The playground is grateful for their company. It seems to miss the buzz of children: the scraped knees and endless laughter. Nowadays, people grow up too soon, too fast, far too much to play anymore. Finley’s been here all his life – he’s seen the slides when they were cherry-red, the shiny new monkey-bars - but...
Seeking Peer Reviews

bibliophile (United States) published:

NaNoWriMo Novel Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Augusta had firsthand experience with change. Her entire plan for her future had changed, too many times in fact. It had changed when Governor Michaels refused her a job as a captain for one of the government's ships. It had changed to becoming a pirate. First just a pirate, but eventually, a captain. But then again, her future had changed, for the worse. It happened the moment Bartholomew Albatross entered her life. She'd heard storeies about him her entire...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Krishen X (United States) published:

Lost In The Wilderness

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 1 Search For Civilization
    February5, 2018; Max woke up at 8 am, his vision still blurry.  He tried to wake his best friend Shawn up. “Come on, Shawn”, Max said. “We have to find the nearest town before it gets dark. After five minutes, Shawn...

1

Krishen X (United States) published:

Lost In The Wilderness

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 1 Search For Civilization

Krishen X (United States) published:

Lost In The Wilderness

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 1 Search For Civilization
    February5, 2018; Max woke up at 8 am, his vision still blurry.  He tried to wake his best friend Shawn up. “Come on, Shawn”, Max said. “We have to find the nearest town before it gets dark. After five minutes, Shawn reluctantly got up, looking like he did not sleep at all the previous night. The woods were as cold as the arctic tundra and the cold-frosty wind made sleeping unbearable....

Ian K (United States) published:

Ashes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I was born in the darkness, the latest of a dozen generations who have existed ten thousand feet below the Surface. 

The world had been burning for a century when the inevitable came to pass. Our history has since dubbed it The Phoenix Initiative, as though it were intentional. The words lie. It was not some valiant effort to save our race. It was war, in its most complete form. Not a single country was spared the nuclear fire that...

annaocxo (Ireland) published:

All Our Yesterdays

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“I was in a crash. A while back.” The words fell out of my mouth, my body doing the talking for me. It felt like I was hiding somewhere in my mind, behind a wall of chaotic emotion.
All eyes turned to me and, for a moment, I felt as though the whole world had stopped. I was standing on stage, a spotlight clouding my vision, a pin-drop silence settling across a waiting crowd.
    Then, just as quickly...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Starflower (United States) published:

Asha of Cayretayn

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

A thin silver mist hung over the dark sea, shimmering in the early morning sunlight. Waves rushed up to the beach, broke on the fine white sand, then fell back to the sea with the constant sound of crashing water. An ancient castle of grey stone stood on the crest of a sweeping green hill that rose up sharply from the sea. Lights shone from a few of the windows; small golden beacons that fought through the curtain of fog.  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Wu.Z (Ireland) published:

Scorching

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I gathered my notes and papers from my desk, glancing over to make sure I didn’t forget anything. I looked over at the clock on my wall. I was already running late. 
  “A princess can’t be late,” I reassured myself, “Everyone else will simply be early.” 
    After a brief flick through my file, I was satisfied and headed out the door.

The hallways were busy this afternoon with maids sweeping away bits of sand or polishing the ancient...

Seeking Peer Reviews

10

Fabri: A Goat (United States) published:

Starchaser

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“You’ve never been on your own roof before?”
    Through the telescope we placed on the roof, I could see the moon and all her craters. Deep things. Like large potholes if they could appear in the middle of the desert. Inside those potholes were other potholes layered on top of each other in an endless cycle of digging closer and closer to an iron core. There’s a trillion sponges plastered on the surface of a rock 380,000 kilometers away. They...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

aditi (United States) published:

The Soiree

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"Have you located the weapon yet? I don't know how much longer I can stay here with these brainless mortals." I hissed into the comm, plastering a fake smile on my face and selected one of those small finger foods that wouldn't even satisfy a fly. 
"I'm working on it, Penthisilea. Just... stall a little longer." Polemusa sighed. I exhaled in frustration and grabbed a champagne flute, pretending to drink while scanning the room. The bubbly liquid tickled my lips....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

JakeFrommStateFarm (United States) published:

Street Justice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I sometimes wonder if I’m doing the right thing.
    My dad was the district attorney of Chicago for years when I was growing up. The Chicago I knew then was different from the one I know now. There was still crime. There was still murder. But there was a lot less of it. And my father was a big part of that.
    I always felt like as long as I was with him, I couldn't go wrong.
    At...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Marerider (United States) published:

Excerpt From Sage's Best Friend

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Sage mounted, desperation and fear that he would be too late made him push his horse to the limits as they sped through the cobble streets. Arriving he ran to the door and nocked urgently. Leyla’s mother, Evelyn, opened the door. She looked tired and her eyes were red.
    “Ah, you’ve come.”
    “I just found out. How is she?” Evelyn shook her head.
    “Not good.” 
    “What did the doctor say.” Sage asked. Evelyn just stared at...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Norah (United States) published:

Too Dark, Too Cold

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

For most of its life, the weather station has been a house, a home. It was built for a team of five or so people, and it was expected that they would live there. The people who designed it were perhaps old fashioned, weary of all the modern applications—including but not limited to a distaste for hairdryers and pop-up toasters.
    The beds are comfortably set into walls, the stairs are well worn and prone to the pops and cracks of...
Seeking Peer Reviews

3

HermioneGranger67 (United States) published:

And The Snow Keeps Falling

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

A woman strides through a crowd, her black coat fluttering around her. She slips through people adorned with turkey hats and leaf scarves. The Macy’s Thanksgiving parade is the perfect cover, with its large, chaotic crowds. As she strides, she glances back every now and then. A man in a black leather jacket has been following her for some time, ever since she left ISCA- the International Society of Criminal Affairs.
          The man shoves people out of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

horsiegirl (United States) published:

Thorns

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

When I was ten, my mom left me. As I was getting ready for bed, I heard shouts from downstairs. The next thing I knew, my mom had come into my room, suitcase in hand. Kissing me on the cheek, she told me to remember her and walked downstairs and out the door. My dad and I haven't heard from her or seen her since. So imagine my surprise when on the night of my 18th birthday, I...
Seeking Peer Reviews