All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

1

Maryam Q (Malaysia) published:

When The Fire Left Her Eyes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"I'm so sorry! Are you okay? That was my bad... I'm just tired, I guess." Letty managed an apologetic smile. 

"HAH! TIRED! JUST ANOTHER WORD FOR LAZY! PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE AN EMBARRASSMENT TO SOCIETY! I KNOW FOR A FACT - A FACT - THAT YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE" The tall lady with the face as red as her temper and an air of arrogance about her would not have been happy to know that Letty was in fact not paying any...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Amalia (United Kingdom) published:

Anno Pandaemonium

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The Town is a pitiful village east of New Texas, and it smells of burning rubber. The acrid scent constantly floats in from the desert winds of The Plains, which simmer and shift like a sediment-based Aunty Crystal's Glitter Jelly Mix, which you can buy at O'Neill's Convenience Store for 0.80 Salgadinhos. You feel like jelly when you cross them, too. A million tiny nuggets of sand burn through your soles and your clothes, and you forget where the land...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

ajbcreations (United Kingdom) published:

Disobedience

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

If I could stop time, I would have to do it now. The thick canopy above my head acts as a blood-orange filter, the little sun reaching through the leaves tinted a deep auburn. All is still except for a collection of leaves floating down from their branches, toppling through the air, landing on a bed of their brothers and sisters lost to the season. A squirrel scuttles about, too brisk to catch a glimpse, uninterested by anything other than finding nuts to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

kiarasvdm (Australia) published:

The Switching Ceremony

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

A pair of bloodied, mud-covered black converse stopped eye-level with Brent’s face. The owner was close enough to pull him from his hiding place but not smart enough to find him. For now, Brent was safe. The drain where he was sitting wasn’t very big, luckily as the smallest boy in his class, Brent fit snuggly into the space without having to contort into a strange and uncomfortable shape. The converse moved on. The image of them lingering in the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Flowerful (United States) published:

An Abandoned Lake

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Nights like these are my favorite.
    Not because I find them fun, or exciting, or even interesting-- It’s nothing like that. Maybe it’s just the way the frigid December air feels, the texture of the lake as my foot traces along it’s ice, soon melting into water again. I don’t think this is exciting at all; It’s the lack thereof that makes this place so appealing. Each time I arrive, I’m accompanied by a sense of eagerness. Eager for a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

tahlia_paiger (Australia) published:

The Original and The Clone

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I hate to read books. I try to reach for the impossible world that they describe, but really it’s pushing me into an unknown darkness. I prefer to read science, things that describe reality. Voices in the gloom of my mind whisper in wonder about how humans destroyed our only chance at life. How are we so small compared to earth but leave such a large mess? The world that I live in is like smoke, continuously changing and there’s...

1

allisonn (United States) published:

The Playground

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 1

Have you ever been put in a position, where you know what you should do, but you still have to decide if you shouldn’t do it anyway? I have, and I’m only eight years old. I shouldn’t be dealing with these kinds of big girl decisions yet. But I had to make one anyway last week. It was on Friday but I remember it like it was yesterday. 
    One of my friends in my class was swinging on...

1
1

aditi (United States) published:

The Soiree

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"Have you located the weapon yet? I don't know how much longer I can stay here with these brainless mortals." I hissed into the comm, plastering a fake smile on my face and selected one of those small finger foods that wouldn't even satisfy a fly. 
"I'm working on it, Penthisilea. Just... wait for some more time." Polemusa sighed. I exhaled in frustration and grabbed a champagne flute, pretending to drink while scanning the room. The bubbly liquid tickled my...

Seeking Peer Reviews

aditi (United States) published:

The Soiree

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"I'm working on it, Penthisilea. Just... stall a little longer." Polemusa sighed. I exhaled in frustration and grabbed a champagne flute, pretending to drink while scanning the room. The bubbly liquid tickled my lips....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

kellsjc (United States) published:

Nameless

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Elton John once said, "And I'm afraid, in this day and age, trust, which I count so, you know, I love loyalty. I love trust." I figure we all wish for trust, like a child's safety blanket, like the companionship of a dear, long-lost friend?

The Boy did. The pitiful Boy, desiring comfort and trust. Even he himself thought it was dreadful, pathetic even. This kid was alone, untouchable by hope and lost too far into the artificial...

Seeking Peer Reviews

kellsjc (United States) published:

Nameless

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jodalyn Joseph [STUDENT] (United States) published:

A True Reflection

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"The feeling that comes with being independent doesn't always feel like a pleasure that has been given."
    That is how 18 year old Samara Sweets feels as she walks around her apartment, looking for something to make for dinner. She has been living in her apartment near the college she currently attends for almost a year. The main issue with her living situation is that Samara lives alone and is barely able to keep up with paying for...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

memorabilia (United States) published:

The Storyteller

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

My grandmother lay in her bed, frail but quite alert. Every night since I'd come to live with her, she'd told me a story. Even now, about to move out, I still looked forward to them. Each one held something that hit you in the heart, or taught you a lesson. Yes, Granny's stories came with gifts. 

I sat down next to her, ready for the night's story. The very last one I would get to hear before leaving for...

Casey Donaldson (United States) published:

Lucid Dreams

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Racing through the woods, the tumultuous snapping of branches beneath my mud-stained sneakers. I was doing my utmost to navigate the twisted path of weeds and branches before me. My focus on the woods in front of me breaks, I stumble before doubling over to catch my breath. The dirt from my palms leaves smudges on the knees of my jeans. The footsteps creep closer, getting louder with every crunch of a leaf. My heart pounds out of my chest, ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Maryam Q (Malaysia) published:

When The Fire Left Her Eyes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Jacob Nef (United States) published:

Legacy Trajectory

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Arisa carefully placed the last disc on the asphalt freeway, nervously glancing in both directions. Headlights winked into existence farther down the dark canyon.
    “Are we good?”
    “Armed and ready,” Arisa said. The comms built into her head relayed the message to the rest of the group.
    “All of them?”
    Arisa sighed at Drake and replied with a terse affirmative. 
    A different voice crackled in the radio.
    “They’re ten minutes...

Seeking Peer Reviews

The Feral Jaguar (United States) published:

The Meeting By the River

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The lightly flowing freshwater stream mumbled softly, filling the quiet forest. Sunlight caught the flowing liquid, creating a garden of shadows among the rocks where the fish would hide. The clear water, sweet and cool, was perfect for quenching Kinthra’s desert throat. She dipped her waterskin into the stream again, filling it up for her long journey into nowhere.
The water distorted her reflection. Yet it could not hide the white hair and purple skin that marked her as evil....

Caroline Dane (United States) published:

The Flower Girl

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

CHAPTER 1
The intruder came during the night, as we were sleeping. Not hearing the scream that would end our happiness, the surprise came in the morning when we awakened to find our mother gone, leaving my father with the illness of heartbreak and his six kids starving and saddened.
              My eldest sister took care of our father, who had grown ill since our mother’s disappearance, and the rest of us had to find some way to make enough...

grey (Canada) published:

My Turn

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I woke up to loud and obnoxious thumping at my door in two in the morning. I knew who it was but did not want to let him in. Ever since I let him come into my life I knew there was no going back. I knew he could make my life beautiful and vibrant but at the same time, he could destroy it, all with a snap of his fingers and make it dark and miserable.
    "Baby,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Living My Life Through Writing (United States) published:

The Man And His Bone China Dolls

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

On a dark and slightly windy Halloween night, with a full moon, Bella was preparing for the trick-or-treaters to approach her door. She was preparing the candy in its respective bowls. She did this every Halloween in preparation for the many kids to come. All of a sudden, the light flickered on, as if the ghost of the house was trying to prepare itself for the night to come. Bella has known of this ghost for a while. Little does...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Lesyeuxrose (United Kingdom) published:

Love is a power that kills

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

My honey blonde hair swishes and sways in the dark. The only light that is illuminating the world around me is my phone. I have made a mistake. A big mistake. I was selfish and stubborn and now it has left me to reside on this earth alone.Shivers run down my back as I think of what I've done,all because I fell in love. "Fix it before it's too late" the world had whispered to me before it had left...

1

JakeFrommStateFarm (United States) published:

Street Justice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Sometimes I wonder if I’m doing the right thing.
    My dad was the district attorney of Chicago for years when I was growing up. The Chicago I knew then was different from the one I know now. There was still crime. There was still murder. But there was a lot less of it. And my father was a big part of that.
    I always felt like as long as I was with him, I couldn't go wrong.
    At...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Fabri: A Goat (United States) published:

Starchaser

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“You’ve never been on your own roof before?”
    Through the telescope we placed on the roof, I could see the moon and all her craters. Deep things. Like large potholes, if they could appear in the middle of the desert. Inside those potholes were other potholes layered on top of each other in an endless cycle of digging closer and closer to an iron core. There’s a trillion sponges plastered on the surface of a rock 380,000 kilometers away. They...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Shreeya Karnik (India) published:

A Perfect Nightmare

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 3: Rabbit Alley
I could barely survive that plane crash; it seemed to me some miracle that I was the only one who washed ashore on Corsica (that’s what the sign read). The rest of the crew was nowhere to be seen. I didn’t see other people either, as I probably landed somewhere far off from where the settlements are. I was still resting on my head, looking at the sky. It was somewhere between late dusk and night,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

_.mariamaa._ (Kuwait) published:

We are inferior to inferno

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Feelings. Maybe we all feel different types of pain, anger, sadness, etc. The symptoms that we all think we feel are just a caricature of a general feeling multiple people feel.  We take those symptoms and use them to teach feelings. At school, we are taught that anger is a feeling of strong annoyance. We are taught that the feeling of sadness, is feeling or showing sorrow. I feel a different type of sad.
I feel a different type of...

Seeking Peer Reviews