All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

z.anna (United States) published:

Lemonade

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

We’ve got a good spot in the stands, but Michael’s not watching the game. That doesn’t surprise me. What surprises me is that I’m not watching the game either. I’m watching Michael, fussing and checking his watch. He doesn’t like the Cubs, or baseball, really, but usually he’s pretty good at acting like he does. Especially if he bought the tickets. But today he’s squeezing his half-empty plastic cup like a kid who’d rather be anywhere else. Pop POP. Pop POP....

Taylor Kosobud (United States) published:

Grass

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

El looked down at her plate. The blob that society now considered as food lied right in front of her face. It was the seventh year of the Obliteration of Natural Foods Act. All food turned now generic, meaning you eat the same thing. Three different meals, one at sunrise, one mid-day, and one at sunset. The year 2174 seemed so distant yet so close. That was the year that natural food production came to a haltering stop. Vegetation gone...

Seeking Peer Reviews

thebaekery (United States) published:

The Surprise

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

It was a Wednesday morning. Brandon woke up yawning. He looked at the alarm clock and turned as pale as a ghost. It was 8:00 A.M. Brandon quickly put on his clothes and rushed downstairs. He grabbed a banana off the table and rushed to the door. Then he heard yelling and screaming. Brandon’s parents were fighting again, and there seemed to be no end in sight. His sister, Marisol, stopped Brandon and asked him what he was doing up...

1

FizzyBaguette (Canada) published:

The Godmother

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The Hong Kong style cafe was the same as Edna remembered it: olive green seats, ceiling lamps that emitted warm light on the wooden tables, and the chattering of the gossiping old ladies. Well, she supposed she was going to join their ranks soon. She picked at the seat's cushion, exposing the yellow spongey material underneath. She'd rather not. God, anything but that. If she was going to spend the rest of her days talking about children which...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

V-Rose (United States) published:

The King's Cause

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

A crowd of nobles and citizens of the kingdom were scattered throughout the throne room. A few people in dirty, thin clothes attempted to hide in the background. A man saluted Leona with his two front fingers and she responded with a slight smile. Everyone was dressed their best. Leona had on a long, white dress of satin that drifted around her legs and her ankles, and her hair fell down in curls, fastened by an elegant clip. Sabrina wore...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Juliana (United States) published:

What You Make It

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

By four-thirty, I was exhausted of people and feared I couldn’t handle another enthusiastic introduction with anyone. How do they smile so much, I thought. It’s like they only know one emotion.Everything was so perfect that it felt superficial. Either that, or these people lived in their own little world without pain or toils, and I wasn’t sure which was more exasperating. On the right edge of town, I noticed a hidden path leading into what the locals...

Seeking Peer Reviews

LeahOnosato (United States) published:

The Small Mercies of Life

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Aika dived beneath the table, shoving her little brother in deeper. He growled angrily at her manhandling but scrambled farther in to give her room. She steadied her breathing as she crouched low, covering her ears with her fists. There was nothing remarkably loud or deafening to protect her ears against, but she felt better with her ears covered. She waited, teeth locked in waiting. 
    "Aika, how long do we have to be under here?"
    She...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Odyssey (United States) published:

The Cacophony of War

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The sun has not yet risen, and the stumps of my candles are dwindling to emit only faint glows. The world is still, save for the bombs in the distance. Even at dawn, I can hear them. I shiver in the dark. Next to me, the other men are asleep. Their breathing is a constant and brings me comfort. I am supposed to be keeping watch, but my eyelids are closing by their own accord. In a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Alex Gray (United States) published:

The Island

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Darkness. That is all that I saw. The black void and my heavy breathing were the only things there. Then a flash of blinding white light consumed my vision, and then I opened my eyes. A vast blue sky with clouds floating above. I was laying on sand; like soft mattress. I stood up and looked around, I was next to the ocean. And then I looked behind me. A dense jungle with trees, vines, and ferns. “Where am I?”,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

ACPanda (United States) published:

Forbidden City

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Forbidden City, Beijing, China
9:00 AM Beijing Time.
Enter, and The Game will begin. Turn away, and you will lose.William McAllister repeated these words to himself as his parents, their best friends from college, their daughter Amy, and he stepped out of a taxi and faced the entrance to the most famous building in the mega-city of Beijing, the capital of China: 故宫, Gu Gong, or the Forbidden City. Even though he had already been to the Shanghai tower,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

aryelee (United States) published:

the path to healing is lined with thorns

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

It's the silence that hurts the most.

Awaiting judgement, I hang my head, hands holding tight the ends of my sleeves. I count my breaths, try to keep the anxiety from crashing over my head like a great wave. I have three hours before my flight leaves; I'm not just crossing borders, but oceans.

In four hours, the only trace of me in this town will be memories.

Memories are better than ghosts, even if they haunt you just as...

Benny (United States) published:

Secret Toads (Excerpted from "John Sinner")

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

John eventually realized that he no longer knew where he was. He thought of an old friend, maybe. He had blonde hair, shiny, wheat colored threads. He always wore silk shirts. His favorite color was blue. John remembered very well his perfect smile. When he thought about it, John wasn’t sure whether they really had been friends or what that word even meant. They were just kids. John was just a small, pathetic boy, always folded in on himself. He...

Seeking Peer Reviews

thebookishfae (United States) published:

A Dreamers Song

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The narrow creature slowly crept towards the edge of Sage's worn out canopy bed. 

It's master had sent it out on a mission, a mission so easy that the ill-advised creature took its merry time in capturing the desired girl.

It marveled at the mundane trinkets that Sage had scattered throughout the cramped room, before looking at Sage herself from his standpoint.  

She bared vibrant crimson locks that draped across the expanse of her pillow, pale skin flush against the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Brock Mitchum (United States) published:

Zombies Attack; A Survival Story

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 1

New York,New York, 2082,Apocalypse Day 1

As Ben Anderson walk through the empty River Park Mall, he starts to wonder why it is so quiet. He soon notices a strange sound coming from one of the shops. He slowly walks over, he peeks his head over the counter. He jumps back as a creature crawls out from behind the counter. He looks for the closest object to him. He grabs a clothes rack and throws it towards the...

Kayla Ziesenheim (United States) published:

Excerpt from Searching for Serendipity

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

As I step onto the sidewalk, the smells of gasoline, fried chicken, and expensive perfume envelope me.  Business people pass by, dressed in fancy clothes and speaking hurriedly into shouldered cellphones.  Various others navigate the street: a middle-aged man in a hoodie, nodding his head to the music in his headphones, a blonde woman walking three dogs at once, a pair of teenagers staring at their phones, and an elderly man pushing a stroller.  I take out my camera and...

kellsjc (United States) published:

Nameless

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Elton John once said, "...I'm afraid, in this day and age, trust, which I count so, you know, I love loyalty. I love trust." I figure we all wish for trust. It's like a child's safety blanket, like the companionship of a dear friend.

The Boy did. The pitiful Boy desired comfort and trust. He thought it was dreadful, pathetic even. This kid was alone, untouchable by hope and lost too far into the artificial light of a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ibex (United States) published:

Whispers in the Wind

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 1
    There’s a bluebird in the maple tree. It’s a male, with a beautiful, rusty breast and wings the color of sapphires. He is joined by his mate, the female he’s been with since spring. Their two broods aren’t far away; from my red lawn chair, I hear them chirping, their sweet voices carried by the wind. Their song leaves a smile on my face.
    I lower my binoculars gently, allowing them to rest against my olive-green...

2

Dragon-Like-Tendencies (Spain) published:

Anger is for Fools

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

-Anger is for Fools- 

Lydia woke up to her clock playing the weather station. 

“Oh? It’s the 7:30 service? Good morning, Gratesville, NC! Today is going to be a gorgeous day, with highs in the 90s, and-”  

The weatherman was cut off by Lydia slamming the snooze button with her hand. Groaning, her body creaking as she moved, she sat up on her bed and took count of her room. There was pans and...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Leah deborah (Ireland) published:

Animals in hiding

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Helena uses her remaining strength to transform from a Tiger to her human form. The Hunters aren’t far behind, she can hear their heavy thread moving through the undergrowth. Their shouts echo through the trees, sending the birds flying. Helena puts pressure on her wound and keeps running. She can’t let them get her now. Beads of sweat run down her neck and then she realises she can’t out run them. The trees close in around her like the cage...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

J_E_E_B_I_T_S (United States) published:

Y.A.T.E

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Life as you know it will be gone soon..” I turned off the TV. What was I going to do? Nothing will matter anymore in 12 hours. My family doesn't care about me, everyone else I know.. Nevermind, I might as well just stay inside. I stayed quiet for a while, just to think, why? It's really all ending like this? My phone buzzed and snapped me out of my trance. “EMERGENCY - ENDING DUE TO Y.A.T.E, STAY INSIDE” I...
Seeking Peer Reviews

3

DaydreamForever (United Kingdom) published:

A Gift

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

At precisely seven minutes past nine Josephine Dubois walked along the stretch of worn footpath that followed the Seine like a child clinging to its mother. She had found that it was most indefinitely the best time for a walk, for the river caught the sun perfectly, creating a glittering haze that floated lazily in the air, and the city was filled with star-crossed lovers and enthused dreamers. At this time, everything felt like a fairy-tale so everyone felt content....
Seeking Peer Reviews

4

Saachi (India) published:

And If We'll Ever Be Okay Again

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Ezrah,

This is ridiculous. I miss you, and it goes without saying that Jude does too. I think he’s going a little mad, in fact.

I went over to his place again today. He’s not doing any better, to be honest. He drank two cups of coffee in an hour, and it took him twenty-seven minutes of me being there to just to say something. I know because I had nothing else to do but stare at the ticking clock.
...

Seeking Peer Reviews

melody stubbs (Armenia) published:

the creepy dolls around the world

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

This is the story about the day of Halloween of scary house. the story starts off by chunky in the haunted house in the forest of Halloween with spider webs with spiders and with chunky dolls all over the place including all over the house under the bed and every were including in the forest and even in the city and it is starting to end up in the hotels and the houses in the house siting on the couch...

Beckett Garvin (United States) published:

The Station

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I get on my horse and get back to camp. Luckily, no one caught me with the money. That would be a bother for us both. I didn’t kill anyone, which is good. I untie my bandanna and put it on the ground. I sigh of relief. It was a tense situation, and on the way out I almost dropped the leather bag. I didn’t even have to hit anyone, I just said to the guy at the front that...

Landon Brown (United States) published:

The Wingless Boy Draft

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I fear that if I go there a second time I will never leave. When I first arrived at the asylum the staff seemed nice, but then it all fell apart. They beat people, shocked people, and isolated them. I was the first of the people that the staff  “tested.” It hurt a lot, that’s how I lost my arm. I will not tell you what the “test” is but I will tell you this, if you ever get tested...
Seeking Peer Reviews