All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

sincerelydanny (United States) published:

devil town

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Devil Town is a run-down, crime-filled city. Deaths are always frequent. Devil Town is a curse. Most people don’t know this place exists until they’re in it. Many of the citizens are teenagers from broken marriages. Some argue Devil Town is an imaginary town. Some believe it might even be a state of mind. Everyone comes to an agreement; the meaning of Devil Town depends on the person. Some are able to escape the grip of the city, others...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Marerider (United States) published:

Excerpt From Sage's Best Friend

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Sage mounted, the desperation and fear coursing through his veins made him push his horse to the limit as they sped through the cobble streets. Arriving at Leyla's house he ran to the door and nocked urgently. Leyla’s mother, Evelyn, opened the door. She looked worn and her eyes were red.
    “Ah, you’ve come.”
    “I just heard. How is she?” Evelyn shook her head.
    “Not good.” 
    “What did the doctor say?” Sage asked. Evelyn just stared...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Mysa (Bangladesh) published:

The Monster Hunt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

At midnight, on the 100th day of every year, the black boats set off to a chorus of cheers. If you make it to the port before the last bell you can watch the Hunters take off. Many were already lined up at the shore despite the late hour. After all, it’s not everyday you hear of the appearance of a Hydra at the Beast Ring.

Roux was determined to succeed this time. If she could sneak onto one of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Yra (Malaysia) published:

The Underpants Thief

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I was running.

Faster than Usain Bolt, they say.

Faster than the speed of light itself, they say.

And no, I was definitely not exaggerating.

Who was I, you may ask? Well, only the most awesome, breathtaking, extraordinary superhero-who-loves-fighting-crime-and-is-definitely-against-underpants-stealing of all time—

"Get back here with my underpants, punk!" the cranky old rich man yelled as he chased me around his humongous lawn

I tipped my head towards the beautiful morning sky, laughing in exhilaration. "Never!"

Alright, I guess I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Yra (Malaysia) published:

The Underpants Thief

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I was running.

Faster than Usain Bolt, they say.

Alright, I guess I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

LOGAN BRUNO (United States) published:

Alone in the Devils’s House

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The man stood as still as a stone statue on the street below. The only source of light being the street lamp above him. His long sharp fingers rested at his sides ready to claw up the side of the house he had been observing for the past three hours. Twelve year old Danial dared not take another look through his window at the creature. He sat just below the window sill of his second floor bedroom.
    He finally mustered...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Yra (Malaysia) published:

The Underpants Thief

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I was running.

Faster than Usain Bolt, they say.

Alright, I guess I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Saadia (United States) published:

Caught in the Middle

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

In-between. That's the word I chose to describe myself in the essay portion of my college application. I spent nearly a month on that application and that's all I could come up with? Me? Zahara? The girl who was always writing and I couldn't come up with a better word? 

But I guess it wasn't exactly wrong though. No matter where life sent me it seemed that I was in-between two worlds or two situations. Heck, even the day I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Aubs (United States) published:

Who can you trust?

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Once upon a time there was a young women named Samantha. She wasn’t the prettiest girl you had ever seen, but her heart was filled with gold. Though no one knew it because she lived with her wicked Aunt who treated her like a slave and her twin sister like royalty. Samantha’s twin, Emma, was flawless on the outside, but deeply hurt on the inside. Emma always said that she wasn’t pretty enough, was too skinny, too fat, and she...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Katbatnoir (Philippines) published:

A Bit of A Fall

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

This feeling he felt was painful, but not so much as like an annoying bothersome itch inside of his head. When he rose from the floor, his head felt like he had taken a hit in the back by a sack filled with stones. At least, that’s the best he could have described it. He noticed that the floor below him felt a bit damp. He blinked, black spots slowly disappearing from his vision.

How odd, he thought, he didn't...

5

she’s-got-a-story (United States) published:

Darlings

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Not twenty-four hours After Tea, somebody goes missing. It’s shocking for the first day, but later the people who become her friends laugh about it over illicit substances they buy from the law enforcement. 
    They throw cigarette stubs at the back of her head.
 “Aren’t you in high school?” They ask her as she shudders her way down the street. 
    “Yeah.”
    “You know you’re supposed to smoke.”
    She catches their emissions in her lungs and chokes...

1

Artburger (Australia) published:

Attention

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

All to be seen was blood and terror as the war between Ares and Athena only seemed to grow and grow, until all of Greece was in turmoil. All who didn’t see had fled, leaving about half a dozen children to keep Athens from falling to pieces. Children who were too young to be schooled and brainwashed to be blind to the true nature of the war.
            Andreas huddled close to the other children – all silent, innocent as...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Stenning (United Kingdom) published:

Think Hard

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

CHAPTER ONE

Wind whistling, feet thundering and the woods around me howling. The moonlight broke through the canopy above to shine it's scattered light onto my path. Focus. It felt as if I could feel his cold fingers on my arm again, grabbing me, dragging me back into the room. The room I had escaped from. The room that had held me for years, barely feeding me, barely recognising I was there... I must focus. I must keep running.

I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

ReadtoWrite (United States) published:

Excerpt from Catastrophic Collisions

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Lying on the beige carpet, broken and shattered, embedded into the fibers of the material, were the pieces of the glass heart. Its fragments glinted in the summer sunlight, glittering with a hidden secret. For three days, Nicole had stared at the broken pieces, her face contorted into a mask of confusion and pain as memories came back to her in flashes. 

About a month later, the shards lay on the oak headboard of her bed, yet the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Namwima (Kenya) published:

Stranger Danger

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Kwaheri ya kuonana. Like many Swahili phrases, it does not translate well. Literally: goodbye to see each other. 

It is a promise, pregnant with the certainty of delivery: "I will be back, wait for me." A commonplace answer to a typical goodbye, it is nonetheless startlingly intimate, like the jaunty wink of a snake oil salesperson. Even weightier is that which is not said, and thus, sadly, not understood: "I don't know when I'll be back - in hours or...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Paige Edwards (United States) published:

The Secrets and Cases of Special Agent Angela Bailey: Chapter 1

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

A 1970 Ford ThunderBird roared down the desolate plains. The engine of the slick and well kept vehicle purred down the single, lonely road. Windows rolled down and Axl Rose’s voice blasted out into dust and nothingness. The wind combed her hair in a mess of a wild guitar solo. Her smile gleamed, as did her fair skin. This is the way she can be herself. When around others she must be serious. She must be professional. It’s her job....

1

Jedyn Arneson (United States) published:

Midnight Raid

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

When I was called up to sentry duty this morning, I was excited. I had never been in the crow’s nest before. The adventure of a new experience would normally have been enough to get me excited, but this time, I had even more incentive. I had been seasick for the past 17 hours, and this dang nausea wouldn't even go away to let me sleep! Fresh air and a higher vantage point had sounded like it might...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Fathia Onifade (Australia) published:

Wherever It May Lead To

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Depending on who I am to you, you may see me as a an good person, a bad role mode, an idiot who ran away from all the troubles in his life or even a hero ready to face the real world, It is what it is, but to me all your points of views may just be biased judgements you took upon yourself to make. I for one know that I am running, I don't know where but it feels like...

Fathia Onifade (Australia) published:

Wherever It May Lead To

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Depending on who I am to you, you may see me as a an good person, a bad role mode, an idiot who ran away from all the troubles in his life or even a hero ready to face the real world, It is what it is, but to me all your points of views may just be biased judgements you took upon yourself to make. I for one know that I am running I don't know where but it feels like...

5
1

Kaitlyn Reese (United States) published:

My Lost Photos

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The first picture I drew swam like a catfish in dark circular lines on my paper. I had to erase so much it left faint lines and small holes in the little box my teacher told me to color in. It was the hair that I drew on top of his head and the eyes I drew that was a shade I couldn’t produce with crayons; the closest I could find was a russet brown. Then I began to scribble...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Blue Moons (United States) published:

all this noise

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I should never have borrowed the shoes. 
The stiff edges slice into the back of my feet, rubbing the skin to raw agony. 
‘Beauty is pain,’ Nina had trilled in sing-song when I complained.
I had responded that I’d rather be ugly, then. 
    I grit my teeth, laughing through the torment. I hope the last snippet of conversation had been laugh-worthy. I haven’t been paying attention, distracted by that damned pain in my feet. It is a constant, sharp, ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Aquila (United States) published:

The Woodland Forest

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The Woodland Forest was an infamous place.
    Yet, I still walked through it, ignoring the “Beware!” and “Wolves Ahead!” sign. As soon as I crossed the iron wrought gate, I found myself on a winding dirt path, damp with morning rain. 
    The dampness was in the air, and moistened my cheeks, until I felt I was completely doused in water, head to toe.
    The trees around me were green with life, foliage thick and flourishing....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Fathia Onifade (Australia) published:

Wherever It May Lead To

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Fathia Onifade (Australia) published:

Wherever It May Lead To

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Fathia Onifade (Australia) published:

Wherever It May Lead To

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019