All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

Krishen X (United States) published:

Lost In The Wilderness

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

[Chapter 1] Search For Civilization
    February 5, 2018: Max woke up at 8 am, his vision still blurry.  He tried to wake up his best friend Shawn. “Come on, Shawn”, Max said. 
“We have to find the nearest town before it gets dark.” After five minutes, Shawn reluctantly got up, looking like he did not sleep at all the previous night. The woods were as cold as the arctic tundra and the bitterly cold wind made sleeping unbearable. 
“I...

Idk... (United States) published:

Waterfalls Academy

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Finally, we’re here,” said Bri.
    “I think this town will be our permanent home from now on,” said Jennifer, Bri’s mother. Jennifer said as they passed the Willowdale sign. They walked and looked around the town until they found the big, luxurious academy called Waterfalls Academy. “I think this is the biggest thing in town!” said Jennifer. 
    Bri responded, “Mom, this town has a beach, which is the biggest thing.” As they walked closer, the headmaster, Mrs. Annabelle, walked out...

Seeking Peer Reviews

elizavi (Russian Federation) published:

Language is the key

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

It was a new Golden Age when all human-beings were quickly conquering space and capitalistic human-beings were trading wildly. They got an amazing opportunity because not so long ago human race finally met extraterrestrials. Meeting aliens happened like discovering new countries and nations had happened in a day. One day humans flew to another planet and found creatures, they didn’t know could existed. Then they did what humans do – chose more profitable option for themselves which was trading. However,...

1

JakeFrommStateFarm (United States) published:

Street Justice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Sometimes I wonder if I’m doing the right thing.
    My dad was the district attorney of Chicago for years when I was growing up. The Chicago I knew then was different from the Chicago I know now. There was still crime. There was still murder. But there was a lot less of it. And my father was a big part of that.
    I always felt like as long as I was with him, I couldn't go wrong.
    At...

Leah Alfalah (United States) published:

The Mystery Of The Gum

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Levi!” Mary, Levi’s mom called.”It's time to get your costume on, your friend, Jared is waiting outside.”
“Okay, mom.” Levi said with excitement.
Levi and his friends are going trick or treating. Levi has been feeling with anxiety and for him to be going outside trick or treating alone is a big deal. When he goes to school, his only friend is Jared, but other than that he has no friends. Jared although has a few other friends but his...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lena Jazi (United States) published:

Bad Luck

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Lena Jazi
Bad Luck
I jump up flying through space then catch my balance one again. I am all alone this time, or I thought I was. My man Jeff comes in out of nowhere along with Joe and a ton of other people. He said i brought a few friends along including Joe, as we are about to charge i ask politely ‘’Who the hell is Joe’’, after a while he turns to me with a smirk and said’’...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Ethan Skolnick (United States) published:

The Case of the Missing Portrait

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Today, Sam was going into the White House for the first time, on a school field trip. The bus with the eighth grade went across D.C. and to the White House. His dad worked for the Justice Department and regularly went to the White House. The whole group lined up to go through security. It took over an hour for everyone to get through. They then went into the White House. After going through several rooms, Sam was fascinated....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Leah Alfalah (United States) published:

The Mystery Of The Gum

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Okay, mom.” Levi said with excitement.
Levi and his friends are going trick or treating. 
“Cool costume Levi, what are you supposed to be?” Jared, Levi’s best friend asked.
“A pirate,” said Levi.
Levi and Jared approach the first house. The lady gave them Butterfingers.
“Common Levi, lets go to house number 013.”
“But my mom said I can't-”
“No more ‘oh my...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Max Dixon (United States) published:

If you were a dinosaur

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

If you were a dinosaur,  then you would be a T-Rex. You’d be a small one, only five feet, ten inches, the same height as human-you. You’d be fragile-boned and you’d walk as delicate and polite as you could manage. Your eyes would gaze gently from beneath your bony brow-ridge.
If you were a T-Rex, then I would become a zookeeper so that I could spend all my time with you. I’d bring you raw chickens and live goats. I’d...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Weston Heitkamp (United States) published:

The French Exam that Started it All

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The dark sky was piercing. There must have been less pollution in 1944. It’s hard to believe, only three months earlier, I was given the French exam that started all this. I had always struggled with learning new things. I took French in hope that my French heritage could help.
Madame Beaumont informed us that we would have our exam on Monday, March 6. It feels like a cursed day now. Madame had requested to see me on Friday the...

Ashanti Simons (United States) published:

The Outside of the Inside

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The repugnant cyclone that’d taken the title of ‘December’s frigid wind’s’ had become burdensome. The feeble heat coming from the apartment’s air duct hadn’t been much aid in her quest for warmth, and the day had only just begun. 
    December used to be the highlight of the year. The blanket of white that pinned down the dead grass and fallen leaves of Autumn’s crisp imprint, captured her heart as well as the weather. The air had been laced with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

The Outside of the Inside

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Bananasaurus (India) published:

In Time

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

They were so close to unlocking the secrets of time travel. It would only be a few more days for them to engineer a component that could withstand the intense chronon radiation and then....

At least, that was what Dr.Caldirola told himself to keep his hopes up. They had been testing components for a month now and nothing had survived yet. The most mysterious part was the fate of these components - careful experiments had revealed nothing of their atoms...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Autumn.B.Coleman (United States) published:

Between the Stars

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Like a fox to a hound, they’re hunting me
    “Come on old man! You can’t keep this up forever!” A man's voice holds a slick laugh, his words bullets off the tongue. Although my legs are weak and my knees are tired, this is not where I die.
    Past the trees, there is a fence.
    I force these words to loop over in my head to distract me.
    Past the trees, there is a fence. ...

1
1

Saadia (United States) published:

Caught in the Middle

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

In-between. That's the word I chose to describe myself in the essay portion of my college application. I spent nearly a month on that application and that's all I could come up with? Me? Zahara? The girl who was always writing and I couldn't come up with a better word? 

But I guess it wasn't exactly wrong though. No matter where life sent me it seemed that I was in-between two worlds or two situations. Heck, even the day I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Norah (United States) published:

Too Dark, Too Cold

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

For most of its life, the weather station had been a house, a home. It was built for a team of five or so people, and it was expected that they would live there. The people who designed it were perhaps old fashioned, weary of all the modern applications—including but not limited to a distaste for hairdryers and pop-up toasters.
    The beds were comfortably set into walls, the stairs: well worn and prone to the pops and cracks of all...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Madeline Bryan (United States) published:

The Queen

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

My people were under siege. I lived with my cousin, the both of us being orphans. Mordecai’s parents and mine, Esther, had been killed by the Babylon empire when I was six and Mordecai was sixteen. He didn’t want to be rich for fear of people noticing us. The way I saw it, being poor makes you stand out just as much. I wasn’t allowed to leave the house without him. At one point, I thought of him as overprotective....

Annilee Jane (United States) published:

Excerpt from I Am Not Your Teenage Hero

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Hawkins waves his hand in the air. “It’s completely fine,” he says casually. That’s how Sam Hawkins always seems - casual. Him, with his tousled, shaggy pale brown hair that’s nearly shoulder length. Him, with his deep green eyes that seem to constantly be focused on something else, somewhere else. Him, with his long arms crossed over his chest and his long legs draped over the chair. When I first told Violet about him she made fun of me, saying...

1

l_mae_s (United States) published:

Cooking in Newark

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Hurry up!” yelled Diane. Diane was the kitchen supervisor at the restaurant that I worked at. “The people outside are getting impatient.” I was one of the chefs at a restaurant called Newark Fresh, located in a small suburban city in Delaware called Newark. I had moved to Newark about 7 years ago from Sacramento, California. Sacramento was a very big city, so you can imagine how different it was for me coming to Newark. My name is Ashlyn, and...

1

l_mae_s (United States) published:

Cooking in Newark

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Beckett Garvin (United States) published:

The Station

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I get on my horse and get back to camp. Luckily, no one caught me with the money. That would be a bother for us both. I didn’t kill anyone, which is good. I untie my bandanna and put it on the ground. I sigh of relief. It was a tense situation, and on the way out I almost dropped the leather bag. I didn’t even have to hit anyone, I just said to the guy at the front that...

walkdog (United States) published:

stranded

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

There I was on a deserted island not knowing any survival techniques or skills. Stranded by myself with my dog Hunter having barely any food. Nowhere to go and not knowing what to do, but first let me start at the very beginning of this story that took place in 1989…
    That fateful morning I woke up, got dressed and ready to go fishing that day. I made myself a sandwich to stop for lunch out on the boat. I...

6
1

Ursa (United States) published:

The Train

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Kell was on a train. It was loud, but not in an obnoxious way; in fact, it was quite soothing. Like a grandfather clock at midnight, it was steady, familiar, and unending.
    "By golly, lime is such a terrible color."
    Kell looked to his right and saw a girl sitting next to him. She was wearing black combat boots, dark skinny jeans, and an oversized, shapeless sweater. He could swear to god that she was trying to look...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Ava L. (United States) published:

Life After Liddy

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

If my life were a movie, people would leave the theater in tears. (The Tragic Life of Shawn Philips - coming soon to theaters near you!) Not that there's anything inherently wrong with life at this specific point, but there has been a lot of trauma in the past. I was born a twin. And it's only a terrible twist of fate that I'm the only one of us remaining.
    My parents started dating on November...

Seeking Peer Reviews

walkdog (United States) published:

stranded

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019