All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

2

Zerren Stacy (United States) published:

Bloodshed

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

My family and I were driving to my cousin’s first birthday party. My dad had been acting very strange the entire day, especially after he came home from the Kroger near our house. I wondered what had happened to him. He was moving like his soul had been sucked out of his body, like a robot. His skin was slightly tinted blue. He looked very ill, but no one seemed to pay attention. He had murmured a couple of sentences...

1

fabel (United States) published:

I’m in the Dark

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Where the hell is he going?
I could never understand him, my best friend. Kier had always been a weirdo, even back in middle school. Middle school. The good old days. Now Kier and I are in our mid-twenties and paying bills, which definitely sucks. At least we’re roommates. That makes my hectic college days more tolerable, at least.
    But really, where is he going? It’s almost 3 AM. I’d heard him sneaking out of our small apartment on...

Drew Barton (United States) published:

The Train, The Chair, and a Hat

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Chuf , chuf , chuf, eeeeeer , dunk” the train roared as it backed down on to its passenger train. “Peep peep peep get in quickly please” the driver asked as he blew the trains whistle. And the passengers did so but the firemen noticed a very sus passenger with a very fancy top hat but whatever we get sus people all the time like the drugie and the cat lady. The cat lady personally still haunts me at night...

Seeking Peer Reviews

hunkydory (United States) published:

Silhouettes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The last thing Alice remembered was a party scene, clogged with bright colors and life that drowned her. Yet, she also remembered the stench of alcohol, which hung like a stagnant beast within the air. Nearly every person had a cup of the stuff, which they gripped loosely in their hands. She remembered when she tried things that herself. And then she remembered trying it again. And again. Soon enough, she was drifting in and out of that neon reality....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Leah Alfalah (United States) published:

The Mystery Of The Gum

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Levi!” Mary, Levi’s mom called.”It's time to get your costume on, your friend, Jared is waiting outside.”
“Okay, mom.” Levi said with excitement.
Levi and his friends are going trick or treating. Levi has been dealing with anxiety and for him to be going outside to trick or treat is a big deal. When he goes to school, his only friend is Jared, but other than that he has no friends. Jared although has a few other friends but his...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Pigeon (United States) published:

The Soul

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The Appleton Palace was truly a place of grandeur. Sitting at the base of a dormant volcano, it had colossal crystal chandeliers, ranging sizes of stained glass, round topped walnut doors, and several marble balconies. The balconies were particularly fine. Their sides had been trimmed with immense detail, and the southern balcony overlooked the entirety of Heartland City, and further beyond, to the ocean. However, Detective Alcott reflected, the view certainly wasn’t very nice at the moment. In fact, it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Blake Guelda (United States) published:

Stutter

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“H-H-Hello. N-n-net Talk Connect. I’m M-M-Mark Fits. How-How can I help you?” CLICK. Dial tone.
    That was the third person that hung up today. Mark knew he was going to get in trouble. The only thing that gave him any sort of happiness was that he could see Cindy from his desk.
    Cindy Collins was beautiful.  She started working at Net Talk Connect two months ago.  She was friends with everyone. She had long blondish brown hair. Every day, she...

JamieAlexandria (United States) published:

Greenwalls

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

James Spencer watched as Katie peeled the skin away from the edges of her fingernails, bitten bloody. Her overly clean hair had fallen over her eyes, but as he brushed it out to the way he saw that they were closed anyway. He touched her cheek lightly, trying not to aggravate the cystic acne and derma scabs swelling there. Katie opened her eyes at his touch and they were wet. Tear-shiny. That made himwant to cry. “Kitty…” he said...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Eli is extremely cool (United States) published:

Art Class

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“You’re gonna do fine.” she said. 
    I knew it wasn’t true, even then, and I don’t think the principal believed it either. I’m a gym teacher and apparently, this school has too many of those. I know, it seems as likely as a school having too much funding for it’s board to handle but it’s true. They interviewed five of us and couldn’t decide so they picked the worst option, all of us. They eventually realized they didn’t have any...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Saadia (United States) published:

Caught in the Middle

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

In-between. That's the word I chose to describe myself in the essay portion of my college application. I spent nearly a month on that application and that's all I could come up with? Me? Zahara? The girl who was always writing and I couldn't come up with a better word?  

But I guess it wasn't exactly wrong though. No matter where life sent me it seemed that I was in-between two worlds or two situations. Even the day I was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

IDrinkPastaForALiving (United States) published:

Against the World

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

April 15th, 1849

Our wagon is rocking nearly as much as the boat to America did. My parents, my four remaining siblings and I started off with nothing. We came to America to get away from the famine. The famine that ruined our lives.
Today we had started our journey to Oregon. We had packed the essentials including sugar, bacon and flower. I can't remember-

"Abigail Laurens?" A figure says. Drat. I hope I get to finish this later....

Ella Sanders (United States) published:

A Singed Heart

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The fire in my heart died long ago along with everything else. I had loved my mother, once. Before my father left. One day he was there and the next he was gone. 
At night I would lay on my back and through the thin walls, hearing shouts and anger infused voices tossed about. When my father left he took a piece of my mother with him. My mother became very distant. I would try to speak to her about...

Maya Lott (United States) published:

Excerpt from: Awake

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

For the second time in what felt like a day, I woke up with no idea of where I was.
I tried to sit up but a sharp pain shot up my arm and I groaned, flopping downward onto the grass again. I glanced at my left arm and noticed that it was wrapped in some sort of cloth.
"Yeah, I'd suggest not moving for a while."
My eyes widened, and I shot up again, this time ignoring the pain....

1

Gabriel Vanderbilt (United States) published:

I Worked the Night Shift at a Basketball Arena

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

It was almost summer and I was still down to my last dollar. I had been working the cash register at a minimum wage fast-food chain. I sat there, in the bedroom of my budget apartment, scouring the newspaper for a job advertisement. One specific ad grabbed me by the eyes. “Night Shift at [redacted] Arena - $2200 a week.”That was more money than I ́d make in a month! I called the number listed below, and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

bumblebees (United States) published:

They Meet on What I Assume Is the Second Page

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The best way to wear a hoodie, according to Sun, was with the sleeve cuffs rolled back and the strings pulled tight. Rolled back cuffs left plenty of fresh air for the hands to breathe and tight hoods felt like perfect cocoons. They were snug and warm just as all cocoons should be. 
    Sun also had an opinion on pockets; the bigger, the better. The reason for that was because of snacks. Small pockets could barely hold anything worth eating...

Seeking Peer Reviews

athlrthjjjj (United States) published:

Falling

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The ground began to rumble. Everyone was in a frenzy. People where running all over the airport. An older man tripped over a cord on the ground. A mom and her child rushed out through a maintenance door. A giant crevice began to open in the ground. A child, most likely under the age of 14, tripped over the crevice and got his foot lodged in it. I look down in the crack, seeing nothing but an eternally, never-ending pit...
Seeking Peer Reviews

ReadtoWrite (United States) published:

Excerpt from Catastrophic Collisions

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Lying on the beige carpet, broken and shattered and embedded into the fibers of the material, were the pieces of the glass heart. Its fragments glinted in the summer sunlight, glittering with a hidden secret. For three days, Nicole had stared at the broken pieces, her face contorted into a mask of confusion and pain as memories came back to her in flashes. 

About a month later, the shards lay on the oak headboard of her bed, yet...

ReadtoWrite (United States) published:

Excerpt from Catastrophic Collisions

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

1

Fenley Jones (United States) published:

​Auntie Ellen's Fortune

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Jayden Flores looked at his small office and glass desk in the center, feeling nervous and anxious. He looked over at the wall of windows and examined his mountainous surroundings. He had always loved cold Winter Haven with its beautiful snowy surroundings. It was the place he grew up and the place that all of his family lived. But since the death of his Auntie Ellen, his thoughts and feelings had changed. 
       Then out...

LCMishka (United States) published:

Chapter 8: Connections

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

There was a kind of damp chill in the air, one that tried to seep into your bones and could turn a person hungry. 
    Commander Hadorn walked through the foggy courtyard, keeping a firm grip on the leash of her husky, Lacy. To their credit, both the Commander and the canine seemed unbothered by the weather, though the former furrowed her brow as she thought about the current circumstances. 
    There were a few things to keep in mind: ...

1

EAurora (United Kingdom) published:

Reverie

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Sir? Are you ready to try again?”

I stared intently into his eyes, trying to find some meaning within the flickering pupils. Their faded black clouded his face, hiding whatever it was that had kept him ticking away inside the vacancy of his expression for so long. As I watched, a juddering cigarette rose to his lips and released a puff of faltering smoke. Wisps seeped from his chapped mouth and shifted across his face, dragging jewels down his cheeks....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Kate Gardner (United States) published:

These Travels

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 1: The Witch

It was noon. I could not distinguish the susurrus of the wind through the olive groves from the sound of the ocean below us. It tossed up the fish belly bottoms of the leaves, shoals of shifting silver in a white sun’s gaze. We were alone.
    Far into the hills, I could see the concrete husks of an abandoned housing development. The windows were dark as mournful eye sockets; those gaping doorways were...
Seeking Peer Reviews

blunt force trauma (United States) published:

Stranded

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

A hunter sat by a river with his trusty canoe by his side. He had a long day and was trying to get some rest after a bear hurt his arm. He took his left sock off and wrapped it around the wound. He had been trying to hunt deer when the bear attacked him. He managed to fight it off but not without a wound. He had to deal with this kind of stuff everyday. 
    He had been stranded...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Stranded

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

He had been stranded...

YungWriter (United States) published:

The Bully

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Leave me alone, give me back my lunch money!” screamed the boy.

“No can do” retorted the girl in a taunting manner. 

Daawat Ultima, a boy who hated his name, was a freshman at Evergreen Valley High and spent most of his day at school getting bullied. Summer Huntington, a sophomore, known as “ The Rich Bully,” picks on him all the time. When Daawat was about to buy his lunch, Summer stepped in and grabbed his money,...