All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

2

lizbadiz (United States) published:

(found at bottom of rubble heap)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

When I woke up today, there was a hole in the ceiling. 
    Not a very big hole, of course, about the width of my smallest finger. But there was light coming through it. It was so bright and it hurt my eyes.
    "Is that sunlight?" I asked.
    Jo scoffed. "Of course it's sunlight."
    I squint up at it. "Do we have any tape left?"
    She points. "There's some over there, by the cash register."
    I go over, stepping over several...

Seeking Peer Reviews

lizbadiz (United States) published:

(found at bottom of rubble heap)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"Is that sunlight?" I asked.
Jo scoffed. "Of course it's sunlight."
I go over, stepping over several...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Lili Smith (United States) published:

yours truly, earth

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Dear, humans,
 Hi! My name is Earth, and I have been in the solar system for 4.543 billion years.
 I am neighbors with Venus and Mars.
My home is in the Milkyway in this place called the Universe.
 But I have a species no other planet has had.  
    Humans.
   You’re species are slowly destroying me, heating me, polluting me. You're spending all your money to move to other planets instead of fixing me. 
    Although I try to help you, protect...

Seeking Peer Reviews

JaYdEn!@ (United States) published:

Robot E-5006

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Crcr Crcr”, “ meeting in the office only soldiers and commander will attend this meeting “. A soldier said threw the speaker.
“ Welcome everyone I have made this meeting because we are Area 51!! And I think we should do something about what is happening to the earth,have you guys seen the ocean it's filthy and I think we should come up with ideas on how to bring back are old earth back to what it was before humans...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Alexa M. (United States) published:

After they messed up

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

TREADING WATER
The wind is frosty. 
The water is to my shoulders.
 I'm crying not intentionally, But out of fear.

Am I dying?
I did this. No, I didn't.
It was them,
all of them.

The water continues to rise
I take breaths as if they were my last.
I'm treading water, my feet move quickly
not too quick that I tier easier and burn out
only for the water to swallow my whole.
For the water to let every...

ratz_will_eat_cLoWnZ (United States) published:

The infection by Kotomi Jones

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I walk down the hallways of my high school. At every step there's candy wrappers and people missing assignments. I pick up a piece of paper that was crumpled up. When I unfold it there's a lot of eraser marks, I look up to the name. Written in cursive it says Edith. “Who's homework did u find today?” Charles says walking up to me from behind.
“Edith,” I reply slightly confused.
“Wait you mean like witch girl?” Charles asks as...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Kamari Bonneau (United States) published:

Write The World Two

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

My novel is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. As most people know Frankenstein is a big hideous monster who lives in a huge castle. But did they know there was a whole entire story behind this monster? Characters like Victor Frankenstein, Captain Walton, Elizabeth Lavenza, and the Bride of Frankenstein are different characters of Frankenstein. The Beginning of Frankenstein started off as Victor Frankenstein going off to school and study, and Captain Walton going out to sea, writing letters to Elizabeth...

Alexus Donnelly (United States) published:

Untold Secrets : Chapter 1

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Something has been bugging me, it was just a feeling I had in the pit of my stomach. I couldn't figure out what was going on. As I lay in my bed, I ponder what could be bothering me. I think about all the events of the day to see if that has something to do with it. Nothing happened for me to be feeling like this. I try to sleep but can't; there's an eerie feeling hanging over...

23
2

Charisse Marison (United States) published:

Pretty Isn't Everything

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The first thing I think about from the moment I wake up is what I will wear. I went to Macy's recently and bought a flowery crop top, ripped jeans, and Gucci flip-flops, but that might be too casual. Salmon turtle neck with pale khakis? Is that style a thing right now? Will it go well with my complexion? After all, your look isn't just what you wear. It's how you look wearing it. My strawberry blonde hair is pretty,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

_.mariamaa._ (Kuwait) published:

We are inferior to inferno

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Feelings. Maybe we all feel different types of pain, anger, sadness, etc. The symptoms that we all think we feel are just a caricature of a general feeling multiple people feel.  We take those symptoms and use them to teach feelings. At school, we are taught that anger is a feeling of strong annoyance. We are taught that the feeling of sadness, is feeling or showing sorrow. I feel a different type of sad.
I feel a different type of...

helen! (United States Minor Outlying Islands) published:

A Midsummer Night's Tale

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The girl loved reading. Even today, she finished a novel and fell asleep. The book was such a compelling story that she needed a nap. Now it is her time to go off to dreamland and not wake up for a long time.
    When she finally got up, her surroundings have changed. Before the nap was a quiet afternoon with warm summer breeze and thick strips of sun rays delicately entering her room where she pleasantly fell...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

♡Kyla Grace♡ (United States) published:

The Trauma And It's Endings

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Gunshots could be heard from miles away.  Just the sound of gunshots including the smell had Hazel’s class eyes filled with fear. “Bang Bang,” the whole class looked at the door, they all knew what was going to happen next. The gunshots were too close this time, way too close. Everyone was already uncomfortable, but for the shots to be this close was almost paralyzing. Room 236 (Hazel’s current classroom), the classroom door handle was shaking, loud knocking...

melody stubbs (Armenia) published:

the creepy dolls around the world

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

This is the story about the day of Halloween of scary house. the story starts off by chunky in the haunted house in the forest of Halloween with spider webs with spiders and with chunky dolls all over the place including all over the house under the bed and every were including in the forest and even in the city and it is starting to end up in the hotels and the houses in the house siting on the couch...

Chapter Leader Robinson (United States) published:

The boy who saved the school

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Rinnnggg! was the sound that woke John, only to see a beautiful San Diego sunrise,it looked like someone through orange and grape juice in the sky, with a tad bit of  pink lemonade.    
        “Hurry up John you don’t want to be late on the first day.” called his mom from down stairs. 
        “I’m coming mom.” called John. A few moments later John came down wearing a plaid vest he just ironed. “I’m ready mom.” said John “Ok...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Anonymous User (United States) published:

The Library

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter one

Do you ever have that feeling when you thought you loved reading but you've made the mistake of reading something so monotonous that you have to take a break? Or maybe this lengthy volume was assigned to you, and the blame doesn't fall to you. Well that's how I feel now. I got roped into a bet. Whoever finishes their book first wins a prize, though I still don't know what the prize is.
    Nigel is the one...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

rosewrites (United States) published:

The Sky is Blue

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Prologue
Erica stares at the trailhead sign. Stapled to it is a sheet of paper. It reads, 
    “Mark Sincalir, 66…” all of his personal information follows. This is bad. Really bad. The public was never supposed to know what Sincalir even existed, let alone that he has disappeared down the trail in front of her. 
    “Gates?” Michael calls from behind her. She rips the flyer off the board. 
    “We’ve got to get rid of these flyers.”

Erica ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

rosewrites (United States) published:

The Sky is Blue

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Prologue
    “We’ve got to get rid of these flyers.”

Erica ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

12
1

NovaStorm03 (United States) published:

The Wilde Sisters

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"Willa! Willa!"
Poppy burst full speed out of the bushes near the well. "I found black berries!" She bent over gasping for breath, a bulging checkered cloth clutched in her hand. 
Willa looked over from collecting the well water.
"We can make pie now!" Poppy beamed, "and we could trade it at the market tomorrow for something fantastic like a slingshot, or-or a stack of books, oh or a Hippo! I read about those in the newspaper, maeby someone will...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Alliyah (United States) published:

Steadfast Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Summer has a distinct smell.
    It’s the track and field smell—only stronger. That was part of the reason why I loved summer so much. 
    Summer smelt like warm grass and black-top tracks baking in the sun. It smelled faintly like chlorine and fried food; like overcooked flowers and sunscreen and new shoes. 
    The smell of summer was all around us as we pounded down the track. The smell of sweat lingered faintly in the air as well,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

tragicbirthday (United States) published:

Prickles

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The first time I listened to Rylo’s song, it felt as if the world was shunning me. Telling me to give up, that I wasn’t worth it, I was alone. It wasn’t a new feeling, but it hit me in a way that felt so raw, like someone was pulling back the layers of my heart and revealing my vulnerabilities. There was no direct message really, just a blend of different sounds, different feelings. I’m sure Rylo put words to...

spacebanana (United States) published:

Fire

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Tilda

Frank walked in, “Dinner’s ready!” he said with excitement. Tilda stood, “Could I use the restroom real quick?” she asked. 
    “Of course, it’s just down the hall,” Frank said. Tilda followed Frank’s directions to the door. She felt bad leaving Jodie alone. 
    She looked in the cabinets above and below the sink. Both were empty.
    A wooden bird sat to the left of the soap. A Golden Eagle.
    She washed her hands and started walking back to the dining...
Seeking Peer Reviews

spacebanana (United States) published:

Fire

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Tilda

Seeking Peer Reviews

spacebanana (United States) published:

Fire

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Tilda

She washed her hands and started walking back...
Seeking Peer Reviews

writingforfunds (Canada) published:

Orange Dust

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Introduction: The Orange Dust

The wind picked up in the middle of the day and carried a fine, orange dust across the flimsy white roofs of the tents, sprinkling the faces of small children carrying water bottles to their families, and diving into the lungs of the old people, drawing deep coughs from their throats. Volunteers in vests walked from tent to tent with medical kits and packaged saltines. Normally by noon, most people would try to stay...

Marywhowho (United States) published:

Lost

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

My dad and I stood in front of the grave site. It was raining heavily but we didn’t really care. The air was stuffy due to my dad’s cigarette smoke. I made a mental note to pick it up later. I was looking at my shoes, I couldn’t bear the shame of looking at where I put my mother. It was quiet for a while until my dad broke it. “We’re heading back” He threw the cigarette down and started...

Seeking Peer Reviews