All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

1

Robert Test Beene (United States) published:

New Test comp essay

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Test com essay body

Baylee Curry (American Samoa) published:

Snow Day

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

After a very stressful day of going to school a group of friends got together and decided to go to the lake to go ice skating. Everyone including their parents told them to stay away from the frozen lake because the ice was extremely thin and they might fall through. They didn't listen so they went to the lake anyways and one of the group members was saying that she was going to stay on the shore of the lake....

1
1

Ariana G (United States) published:

Runaway Road Trip

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

He squints his eyes, trying to see beyond the bright light of the van’s headlights. He glances to the side to see his sister passed out, her head gently sliding against the window. He turns back to the road, fighting off the yawn threatening to envelop him. Buildings around them soon begin to thin out, with one showing up every 20 miles.   

When his eyes start to blur, he wills himself to keep going, to add distance between them....

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Chaos (United States) published:

Alive

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

When I first met Sanya Malhotra, guided by a morbid curiosity to see her burns, and the crushing feeling of pity, I was, to say the least, shocked. I couldn’t associate the picture of the somber burn victim featured in the papers that I had come to visit with this happy, bubbly lively girl. We were the same age, 24, and yet so different. 
Much later, after we were close friends, I asked her how someone who had been through...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ibex (United States) published:

Whispers in the Wind

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 1
    There’s a bluebird in the maple tree. It’s a male, with a beautiful, rusty breast and wings the color of sapphires. He is joined by his mate, the female he’s been with since spring. Their two broods aren’t far away; from my red lawn chair, I hear them chirping, their sweet voices carried by the wind.
    I lower my binoculars gently, allowing them to rest against my olive-green jacket while I jot Bluebird, 2 in my...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Brewberry (United States) published:

An Untold War (Excerpt)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Kip sat with Aer on a set of stone steps in a quiet part of town, eating ice cream. Aer had spent the day flashing him from place to place. She had shown him all of her favorite places around Kintata while telling him all about the castle and how it works. He had also learned a lot of little things about her today to. Like how observant she always is and how she always checks a place out before...

Ibex (United States) published:

Whispers in the Wind

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 1
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Buniko (United States) published:

The Story that was Killed by a Limited Word Count

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“No, I won’t leave you, not yet,” Pierre said as he darted his eyes to meet with Alliaire’s. From the angle Pierre was viewing the historian from, the yellow, antique light was reflecting off of Alliaire’s round glasses inhibiting him from being able to gaze into his hazel eyes. Regardless, he still felt that sting that someone feels when their eyes meet with those of someone else. Alliaire walked closer to Pierre, removing the unsightly glare from his lenses. A...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Idk... (United States) published:

Waterfalls Academy

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Finally, we’re here,” says Bri.
    “I think this town will be our permanent home for now on,” says Jennifer, Bri’s mother. Jennifer said this as they pass the Willowdale sign. They walk and look around the town until they find the big, luxurious academy titled Waterfalls Academy. “I think this is the biggest thing in this town!” says Jennifer. 
    Bri responds, “Mom, this town has a beach, which is the biggest thing.” As they walked closer, the headmaster, Ms. Annabelle,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Idk... (United States) published:

Waterfalls Academy

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Finally, we’re here,” says Bri.

Seeking Peer Reviews

LittleWolf (Australia) published:

Walked and Shadowed

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

She looked around her, her fear a palpable substance in the unmoving air. Spools of shadows condensed unbidden around her hands. They meandered between her fingers and curled around her wrist in an eternal dance. Ther girl herself was blank. Blank mind, blank heart, clean slate. All she had was the shadowy spheres in her hands. The girl held her hands before her as if they were weapons, perhaps they were. Slowly, the spheres began to pulse, their centres speckled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

LittleWolf (Australia) published:

Walked and Shadowed

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Lili Smith (United States) published:

yours truly, earth

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Dear, humans  

Hi! My name is earth I have been in the solar system for 4.543 billion years, I am neighbors with Venus and Mars, I have a species no other planet has had.  
    Humans.
    This species are slowly destroying me, heating me, polluting me. You're spending all you're money to move to other planets instead of fixing me. 
    Although I try to help you, protect you, give you an opportunity to live happily. You just don’t do...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Wisp (United States) published:

Once Upon A Time

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"Reach up and you'll touch the clouds," my mother told me once upon a time. 
    I never knew what she meant by that. You can't reach the clouds even if you reach up, it's basic knowledge. It's just like when you inhale, you exhale carbon dioxide.
    I asked her what she meant. She had just smiled at me and said, "You'll find out for yourself one day." 
    "I won't though," I had said. 
 ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Ibex (United States) published:

Whispers in the Wind

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 1
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
3

Jacob Nef (United States) published:

Legacy Trajectory

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Arisa carefully placed the last disc on the asphalt road, nervously glancing in both directions. Headlights winked into existence farther down the dark canyon.
    “Are we good?”
    “Armed and ready,” Arisa said. The comms built into her head relayed the message to the rest of the group.
    “All of them?”
    Arisa sighed at Drake and replied with a terse affirmative. 
    A different voice crackled in the radio.
    “They’re ten minutes...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
2

V-Rose (United States) published:

The King's Cause

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

A crowd of nobles and other people were scattered throughout the throne room. Some poorer people hid in the background. A man saluted Leona with his two front fingers and she responded with a slight smile. Everyone was dressed their best. Leona had on a long, white dress that drifted around her legs and her ankles, and her hair fell down in curls, fastened by an elegant clip. Sabrina wore her mother's red dress with her hair in a simple...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Wavy212 (United States) published:

First Time

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The first word I knew how to say was mama.  I would say it over and over again, my mama would smile and laugh.  She did that a lot, I thought.  She would laugh, a big laugh, filling up the room, getting rid of the silence.  She would tell me, "Come here my sweet little boy."  I would run as fast as I could into her arms, and she would hold me.  
    The first phrase I knew how...

JaYdEn!@ (United States) published:

Robot E-5006

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Crcr Crcr”, “ meeting in the office Only soldiers and commander will attend this meeting “. A soldier said threw the speaker.
“ Welcome everyone I have made this meeting because we are Area 51!! And I think we should do something about what is happening to the earth have you guys seeing the ocean it's filthy and I think we should come up with ideas, to how to bring back are old earth back to what it had started...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

ToniTopaz3 (United States) published:

One Last Battle

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The Great Brass Bell hits eight o clock as the big hand strikes a deal with an ear-piercing chime. Soldiers from the imperial palace roam the dusty street and carry guns that gleam from a newly pressed crest. They wore long baggy pants and button-up shirts. Navy blue and gold color string weave in and out of their freshly ironed clothing.  
 Henry's feet pound on gravel as she sprints past the slow-moving men. Her head spins as she thinks about...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Mason Ham (United States) published:

Pipe Dream

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

A war torn skyline, a world destroyed by nothing more than its own realized ambition. The creation of a Victorian age; abandoned tracks, pockets of humanity, and empty husks where massive metropolises once stood unopposed amongst the clouds. Never before had I felt so small, although, I guess living in the aftermath of a robotic insurgency would make anyone feel as if they can do nothing significant. The crunch of leaves under my boots roused me form my rumination. My...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Marerider (United States) published:

Excerpt From Sage's Best Friend

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Sage mounted, desperation and fear that he would be too late made him push his horse to the limits as they sped through the cobble streets. Arriving he ran to the door and nocked urgently. Leyla’s mother, Evelyn, opened the door. She looked tired and her eyes were red.
    “Ah, you’ve come.”
    “I just found out. How is she?” Evelyn shook her head.
    “Not good.”
    “What did the doctor say.” Sage asked. Evelyn just stared at...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Wavy212 (United States) published:

First Time

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The first phrase I knew how...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

JakeFrommStateFarm (United States) published:

Street Justice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

It's been three long years since those... things attacked us.
    It seemed impossible at first. Unbelievable. Like everything was a bad science-fiction movie. But then you wake up the next day, and you quickly realize... it's real. And its not going away anytime soon.
    It's like a bad hangover. Day. After. Day.
    Three years ago, I felt like I was on top of the world. I didn't know that it would take...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Crazy (Australia) published:

Unnatural Soul

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Heat rages across my skin, angry blisters snarl at my pale skin leaving it sore and patchy. Tears hiss down my face, ceasing to steam. My hands ache behind me rope biting deep into my wrists. Hungry eyes stare towards me, flames flicker in their eyes. 
"Get em up, now!" Jake barks," the boss will be here soon." He stalks across the ground, crushing burnt grass. His face melts into a frown as he stops, feet still.
"What's the matter...

Seeking Peer Reviews