All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

Klára Churá (Czechia) published:

Offline to Shine

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Some rooms are full of four people; others are full of forty. However, there are also rooms whose fullness cannot be derived from the number of people present. Such peculiar places are waiting for the presence of God, be it a doting grandfather sitting on a cloud, or the sun, our star. This was one of those rooms. Although there was no grandfather, there was the sun at least, its beams shining through the floor-to-ceiling windows, illuminating the polished wood-panelled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

SenTakatsuki (India) published:

When I looked up, I could no longer look...

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I was very young when it happened so I don’t really remember it well, but as far as I was told, I fell down when I was three but when I looked up, I could no longer look.
Naturally, I was given special treatment. My parents were there at my beck and call. My most favourite question was, “Tell me, how do I look?”
They could never answer me. When they described my clothing, I would say, “No I mean,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Sophia A (Germany) published:

My Journey

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I observed the photograph, placed in my slender hands. A wave of sadness overcame me as I gazed at the familiar faces beaming up at me. They seemed to be so close yet so far away - Rodrigo sprawled on the ragged sofa, his long limbs spread everywhere, Carmen snuggled up next to me, her head with the wavy blonde mane resting on my lap. And then, there was Paolo, his muscular arm wrapped tightly around my slim shoulder, bright...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

bumblebees (United States) published:

They Meet on What I Assume Is the Second Page

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The best way to wear a hoodie, according to Sun, was with the sleeve cuffs rolled back and the strings pulled tight. Rolled back cuffs left plenty of fresh air for the hands to breathe and tight hoods felt like perfect cocoons. They were snug and warm just as all cocoons should be. 
    Sun also had an opinion on pockets; the bigger, the better. The reason for that was because of snacks. Small pockets could barely hold anything worth eating...

Seeking Peer Reviews

7
1

aryelee (United States) published:

the path to healing is lined with thorns

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

It's the silence that hurts the most.

Awaiting judgement, I hang my head, hands holding tight the ends of my sleeves. I count my breaths, try to keep the anxiety from crashing over my head like a great wave. I have three hours before my flight leaves; I'm not just crossing borders, but oceans.

In four hours, the only trace of me in this town will be memories.

Memories are better than ghosts, even if they haunt you just as...

Seeking Peer Reviews

whoareuaj (Singapore) published:

Gone

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I remember being here before. It was a symbolic place to me, of sorts. Five years in and this place has not changed even the slightest bit. Same old trees, same old land, same old voices. The crashing of water onto the rocks sounded eerily foreboding, perhaps an indication of my impending screams of death .

For Heaven's Sake! What has gotten into me?!

I am not an irrational being, so why am I doing this? Why am I considering...

Seeking Peer Reviews

abergen (United States) published:

Train Station

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Doug sighed inwardly as he pulled up in his beat-up, run-down truck to the beat-up, run-down train station. “Why am I even here? Why would she ever come back for me?”, he thought. Her absence was tangible, the space that she had once occupied beside him a void that was gargantuan in comparison to the sun. He took a deep breath as he watched the train slowly make its way into the station, like a seafaring ship into port. As...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

wrenox (United States) published:

Undefined Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

An Excerpt from Chapter 1 of Undefined... 

Never again would a person work the job of a trash truck driver. Robots did that. Instead, from the age of two, humans were required to start learning the superior arts: robot engineering.  Learning to create robots with complicated code, physics, and mechanical construction helped children know the meaning of work.  However, only the best made it; the rest attended the frowned upon art school.
    Art school allowed more free spirit, letting the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Saadia (United States) published:

Caught in the Middle

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I adjust my jacket as I walk into school and head straight to my usual seat in the second-to-last row in the classroom. I always sit on the far right side of the row while my best friend Iman sits right next to me, although she would surely sit right up front if it wasn't for me. 

"Z! Girl, look up!" I hear Iman yell at me before a pack of golden Oreos hit me right in the hijab. I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ibex (United States) published:

Whispers in the Wind

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 1
    There’s a bluebird in the maple tree. It’s a male, with a beautiful, rusty breast and wings the color of sapphires. He is joined by his mate, the female he’s been with since spring. Their two broods aren’t far away; from my red lawn chair, I hear them chirping, their sweet voices carried by the wind.
    I lower my binoculars gently, allowing them to rest against my olive-green jacket while I jot Bluebird, 2 in my...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Chris3161 (United States) published:

The Love Argument

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

After much thought the guy spoke his mind. 
    "I don't think you're really in love with him."  His friend looked surprised by this and looked up.  Leal had also been caught off guard. In fact he had not so much as realized Olivia now gazed into his eyes balls from across the miniature wooden table where they had been sitting at studying until this very moment with her delicate  eyes and slender body.  He gazed back at her brown...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

JakeFrommStateFarm (United States) published:

Street Justice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I sometimes wonder if I’m doing the right thing.
    My dad was the district attorney, so I always felt like as long as I was with him, I couldn't go wrong.
    At least that was how I felt before he died.
    I was too young to understand it, so every time someone would try to explain it to me, they would say he “passed away.”
    I hate that phrase. I hate it because he didn’t just “pass away.” He was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

SenTakatsuki (India) published:

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Kelsey Lind (United States) published:

Running for Me

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Dear Timothy,

We have been friends for a very long time, have we not? We became friends because of our mothers. They are best friends. Thus, our paths collided and now we are to be married. I have enjoyed these many evenings where you read a book to me and I write my little stories. I cannot, however, marry you. To our parents, it is a smart match, and to us, it would be amicable. Amicable...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Shyla Dala (United States) published:

​Bruised and Abused

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

By: Shyla D.
       It was a sunny day at Wallaway Fair. Fair day where we meet farm animals.
    Now I was excited and knew I wouldn’t be guilty because I am a vegetarian. It was a long two hours before I got there, but I arrived. The animals were so adorable and some were very happy. But one animal in particular caught my eye. A goat sitting in a corner facing a door inside his hut. It was closed so...

2

CyberCat (United States) published:

TWILIGHT'S PEAK HGIHSCHOOL

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

TWILIGHT’S PEAK HIGH SCHOOL 
You awake to a classroom in your school, you are a student at Twilight’s Peak High school Do you:
  1. Go outside
  2. Investigate the classroom
  3. Yell for help!
  4. You chose to Investigate the classroom
​You investigate only to find a piece of paper on one of the desks.
As you reach to pick it up you hear gun fire.
You stumble back and fall on a desk with scribbles on it
You read them and see that...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

wrenox (United States) published:

Undefined Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

wrenox (United States) published:

Undefined Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

An Excerpt from Chapter 1 of Undefined...

Never again would a person work the job of a trash truck driver. Robots did that. Instead, from the age of two, humans were required to start learning the superior arts: robot engineering.  Children learned to work with robots with complicated code, physics, and mechanical construction, but as the courses were rigorous, many dropped out and had to attend the frowned upon art school.
    Art school had much more variety and free...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MarisMothra (United States) published:

(Super)Lost and (Almost)Found

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

DaydreamForever (United Kingdom) published:

A Gift

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

At precisely seven minutes past nine Josephine Dubois walked along the stretch of worn footpath that followed the Seine like a child clinging to its mother. She had found that it was most indefinitely the best time for a walk, for the river caught the sun perfectly, creating a glittering haze that floated lazily in the air, and the city was filled with star-crossed lovers and enthused dreamers. At this time, everything felt like a fairy-tale and so everyone felt...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

John Finnegan (United States) published:

It Makes You Feel Alive

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

When Booker puts it like he does, it almost doesn’t sound like the worst idea ever. It is definitely, undeniably, and for sure is the worst idea ever, but he makes it sound smart. He’s good at that. We’re sitting in the back of World History class, and he, in the last five minutes of the day, while everyone is counting down to summer, is turned around in his chair, clasping my shoulders.
“I swear to god Eric. I swear...

2

Street Justice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

It's been three long years since those... things attacked us.
    It seemed impossible at first. Unbelievable. Like everything was a bad science-fiction movie. But then you wake up the next day, and you quickly realize... it's real. And its not going away anytime soon.
    It's like a bad hangover. Day. After. Day.
    Three years ago, I felt like I was on top of the world. I didn't know that it would take...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Kennedyrc12 (United States) published:

The War- Torn Ballerina

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I could feel it. I could feel the bullet. It may not have penetrated into my skull. Still, somehow, I felt it. I still felt herpain. I knew her, in a way we all did; Aaira Bahri. She wasn’t the first women to be publicly executed by Ariz, but by far the youngest. So much so that many others would call her a girl. Older than me but younger than my sister. I knew it would happen. I never...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Street Justice

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

Beckett Garvin (United States) published:

The Station

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I get on my horse and get back to camp. Luckily, no one caught me with the money. That would be a bother for us both. I didn’t kill anyone, which is good. I untie my bandana and put it on the ground. I sigh of relief. It was a tense situation, and on the way out I almost dropped the leather bag. I didn’t even have to hit anyone, I just said to the guy at the front that...