All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

_saramercedes (Spain) published:

Running In My Blood

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Three profound empires live within me. I am blessed. Experiences move us, exposure teaches us and knowledge saves us. Inca, Spanish and Persian blood is what I possess. My most valuable belongings are all the lessons each have taught me and the characteristics I have assimilated and modified through time. Growth is composed of exposure. 

My grandfather moved from Peru to Spain where he met my grandmother more than six decades ago. This romance is the nucleus of my...

Seeking Peer Reviews

27 minutes ago

aditi (United States of America) published:

The Soiree

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"Have you located the weapon yet? I don't know how much longer I can stay here with these brainless mortals." I hissed into the comm, plastering a fake smile on my face and selected one of those small finger foods that wouldn't even satisfy a fly. 
"I'm working on it, Pen. Just... stall a little longer." Polemusa sighed. I exhaled in frustration and grabbed a champagne flute, pretending to drink while scanning the room. The only drink I liked was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 hour ago

CyberCat (United States of America) published:

TWILIGHT'S PEAK HGIHSCHOOL

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

TWILIGHT’S PEAK HIGH SCHOOL 
You awake to a classroom in your school, you are a student at Twilight’s Peak High school Do you:
  1. Go outside
  2. Investigate the classroom
  3. Yell for help!
  4. You chose to Investigate the classroom
​You investigate only to find a piece of paper on one of the desks.
As you reach to pick it up you hear gunfire.
You stumble back and fall on a desk with scribbles on it
You read them and see that the...

about 2 hours ago

1

Ali S (Australia) published:

Empty

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"Do you still talk to her?"
Eleanor peers at him, pale and freckle-faced.
"No," she whispers, as one does in the dark. "Not anymore."
The playground is grateful for their company. It seems to miss the buzz of children: the scraped knees and endless laughter. Nowadays, people grow up too soon, too fast, far too much to play anymore. Finley’s been here all his life – he’s seen the slides when they were cherry-red, the shiny new monkey-bars - but...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

Fernweh (India) published:

In The Bar Of The Lost Souls

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Qetsiyah woke up with a start. She had been screaming in her sleep till her throat had went hoarse. Wincing with pain, she got out of her bed and walked up to the only window in her room.

A soft breeze was flowing outside the big and airy window. The clear air felt like ice on her sweat-beaded face. It went past her shoulders and lightly ruffled her midnight black hair.

Somewhere, in the distance, she heard the soft strummings...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

1

Jasmyn (Australia) published:

The Man in the Funny Red Bow-tie

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Li kicked at a stone as he trudged wearily home, his karate bag over one shoulder. He was still wearing his white karate uniform, but he'd donned white runners for the walk home. Thick, angry grey clouds were gathering above, and Li felt as if they were reacting to his mood. His heart felt heavy, as if it were made out of lead. 
He couldn't believe Sensei had given up on him like that. Of course he'd given up on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 4 hours ago

HermioneGranger67 (United States of America) published:

And The Snow Keeps Falling

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

A woman strides through a crowd, her black coat fluttering around her. She slips through people adorned with turkey hats and leaf scarves. The Macy’s Thanksgiving parade is the perfect cover, with the large, chaotic crowds. As she strides, she glances back every now and then. A man in a black leather jacket has been following her for some time, ever since she left ISCA- the International Society of Criminal Affairs.
          The man shoves people out...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

rosemarywisdom (Singapore) published:

The Busker

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The second day I boarded the downtown train was the first day I saw her.

She had a pretty smile, that much I could tell. The kind of smile that can't help but be contagious, that makes the rest of her features fade into her face. The kind of smile that looks like sunshine encapsulated: you know the one. Her teeth were slightly uneven, and her mouth twitched upwards at the corners. I knew she had a dimple, but I just...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

1

Maryam (Canada) published:

Another Chance

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

This was it then.
The end of one life, only to be leading me to the beginning of another. I took a deep breath in, and with a heavy heart, I took the first step onto the plane. It was hard, that tiny step, but as I continued to walk, it became easier. I could feel my tension and anxiety passing through my body in waves until it was almost bearable. I took up a peaceful march as I searched...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

mellifluousnessie (United States of America) published:

Where We Finally Ended Up (Excerpt)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Ben threw fits, bad fits, which I secretly loved, because my mother often had no choice but to send me over to the Becker’s. She would restrain Ben on the floor to keep him from hurting the rest of the family as he flailed against the hardwood, and as I watched from the corner of the kitchen next to the back door until she shouted at me over his screams to go. Then I would slip out the back, letting...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

1

Just A Dream (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) published:

As It Began

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The White Queen sat in her chambers, thinking. They were only temporary chambers, as she’d be gone that afternoon, but they were very nice ones: simple yet elegant art lining the walls, a vanity with a small stool, a large bed with a gorgeously adorned cover.
     It was a lovely place to spend her last hours.
     She stood and went out to the balcony, where the light of the stars in the night...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 7 hours ago

1

Daria Traskina (United States of America) published:

The Fields Narrowing

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“Norbert M. Griffin, age 64, of Cutaway, passed away Tuesday, May 28, at the Ray & Cay Estein Hospice Care Center in Padekah. He was a retired school teacher with the Lion County School System and a member of New Bethel Baptist Church…” 
Nothing to do. Writing obituaries about the extinct population and reporting on sports and minor events that happen in a small town gets boring. The most interesting and disturbing are, as always, the murders and the arrests....

about 8 hours ago

1

Living My Life Through Writing (United States of America) published:

The Man And His Bone China Dolls

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

On a dark and slightly windy Halloween night, with a full moon, Bella was preparing for the trick-or-treaters to approach her door. She was preparing the candy in its respective bowls. She did this every Halloween in preparation for the many kids to come. All of a sudden, the light flickered on, as if the ghost of the house was trying to prepare itself for the night to come. Bella has known of this ghost for a while. Little does...

about 8 hours ago

37
1

Anha (Australia) published:

can you see the stars where you are?

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Isla Silver is playing at the bar on 2nd Street, and no one is listening.

Well, nearly no one. When David Byrne isn’t staring blankly into his glass of whiskey, he’s staring blankly at her fingers, plucking and strumming to a long-practiced rhythm. Sometimes she thinks she’s forgotten, but her fingers always remember.

The soft buzz of conversation nearly drowns out the acoustic of her guitar; while some glance over occasionally, they always return to their drink and their one-night...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 8 hours ago

1

astrorbit (Morocco) published:

Close Your Eyes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Elijah Mason opens his sleepy eyes to see her once again. It's close to midnight, and she's dancing at a party; beneath the stars. 

They seem to twinkle and laugh at her, the night sky was swirled with clouds, and the grass is a dewy green. Yet still, no one notices as he looks at her. He knows everything about her, her full name; Mira Bella Jane, how she loves to draw little planets on anything she could get her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 8 hours ago

astrorbit (Morocco) published:

Close Your Eyes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 8 hours ago

Vin (United States of America) published:

The System

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The sky was November blue, cold and sharp and brittle. The kind of blue a person could reach up and tap a fingernail against, though then they would have to cover their head with their arms as the blue shattered and fell in shards around them, littering the earth with perfect fragments of broken sky.
        Claire stumbled a little as she stepped down from the bus, but she got her balance again and began to make her way down the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 8 hours ago

astrorbit (Morocco) published:

Close Your Eyes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 8 hours ago

astrorbit (Morocco) published:

Close Your Eyes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 9 hours ago

1

astrorbit (Morocco) published:

Close Your Eyes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 9 hours ago

Skye211 (United States of America) published:

Rise Again

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Lynthia didn't expect her last job to go terribly wrong. She didn't expect Arbine's goons to knock her out cold and escape. She didn't expect to become a mercenary in the first place. But here she was, rubbing her throbbing head while downing the cheapest Dragon's Fire whiskey money can buy.

Her life hadn't always been this way. In fact, it had been quite the opposite. She was born into a high up, wealthy family of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 9 hours ago

Joanna_M_ (Serbia) published:

The celebration that went wrong

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I scanned the room slowly.
People in the back were laughing and chatting quietly, while the other lighters were silently eating next to them. In the front was a group of teens with their eyes fixed on their phones in a bored manner. Their parents were talking, not caring about a fact that they were slightly bit too loud.
And then, there was us. My boyfriend Sebastian, his twin brother and my best friend Oliver, their and mine parents, and...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 9 hours ago

ToniTopaz3 (United States of America) published:

One Last Battle

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

The Great Brass Bell hits eight o clock as the big hand strikes a deal with an ear-piercing chime. Soldiers from the imperial palace roam the dusty street and carry guns that gleam from a newly pressed crest. They wore long baggy pants and button-up shirts. Navy blue and gold color string weave in and out of their freshly ironed clothing.  
 Henry's feet pound on gravel as she sprints past the slow-moving men. Her head spins as she thinks about...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 10 hours ago

weirdo (United States of America) published:

Barn av Skaði

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Barn av Skaði
                                                                            Jenter av snø
                                                                             Kom til meg
                                                                      før den blodige snøen
                                                     ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 11 hours ago

A Rose (United States of America) published:

Virginia Fields

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

They were walking home.
Well, actually, his plan was to bike. But his bike was gone. Which was really a sham. He had a whole elaborate plan on how to flirt with Aditha using the bike, including but not limited to “Aw, shucks, guess we gotta share this bike.” Little did Lennon know that Aditha would’ve insisted on actually steering the bike and pedaling because Aditha thought he was too noodly to possibly control a bike. 
Lennon, oh...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 12 hours ago