All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2019 . See Competition

Published writing

Shreeya Karnik (India) published:

A Perfect Nightmare

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter 3: Rabbit Alley
I could barely survive that plane crash; it seemed to me some miracle that I was the only one who washed ashore on Corsica (that’s what the sign read). The rest of the crew was nowhere to be seen. I didn’t see other people either, as I probably landed somewhere far off from where the settlements are. I was still resting on my head, looking at the sky. It was somewhere between late dusk and night,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

mehr123 (India) published:

Shambolic

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“The wise ones are honourable and stand no nonsense from the dishonourable. The wise ones gift you with liberty to do whatever you desire, as long as you do what they say. The wise ones are altruistic and kind-hearted who will go to unbelievable measures to correct your defects.” That is all I’ve heard from the day one of my miserable life. I have heard it from my teach-bots, my peers, my robo-nanny and everyone else in this hopeless and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

PureHeart (United Kingdom) published:

shelter

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

"How do you feel?"

April's hands gripped into fists, enclosed around the comforting embrace of her blanket. Flickering to the window, her eyes made no eye contact with the woman facing opposite her. Her jaw remained tight, lips dry, the top stuck to the bottom due to lack of speech. She would've stayed like that forever. Besides, therapists annoyed her. 'How do you feel?' and 'Would you like to tell me?' Emotions are not tangible. They cannot be touched, spoken, or...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Alph.s (United States) published:

DEAD OF NIGHT

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

At night, during the race, they came. You know who I'm talking about, right? The cops! The dirty bastards tried to killswitch my Mercedes GT. Didn't work, though. Anyway, I’m safe now. But the same can't be said for the guy in first place during the race. I managed to get away by hiding in a ditch and getting to the safe house. After that, it was day. Here in Palm City, it is hard to keep track of the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Mini Bruno Mars (United States) published:

Gauntlet

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

There was once a gauntlet made by the cosmos. It came flying from the sky, the sky shooting towards earth. It was made out of steel, dipped in kerosene. It fell into an Abbey called Barnes for Builds. a young teenager named Miller found it when he was on break. He took it home that day to check it out, but on the way, he got jumped, and was thrown over a handrail into a river. He passed out midway...

Olive Von der kret (United States) published:

A normal day

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

When I’m alone I think of common things
Like what to wear
Or what to do
What do I say
Sometimes though
I think about the world ending
Or something else like that
sometimes 
I think about me
And who I am
Well I’m jasson and a normal human being
Or at least I think 
At school
I’m working on a project on GVP (Gun Violence Prevention)
And I just happen to know the most on that so it nice...

Total_Goose_Egg_David (United States) published:

Desperate Times: Part I

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Part I

Coming from Pete, a sixty-five year old drunk Irish engineer, the sentence “The company is going downhill, don’t be surprised if your laid off..” Didn’t sink in until I saw lots of my co-workers cleaning out their lockers and turning in their time tables. Our veteran signal man was on a bench sulking. His name was Stewart, he had been here before Pete. I went over and asked him what happened. He said, “I had to take a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Nicholas Engel (United States) published:

Random Prompt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

As he took in the view from the twentieth floor, the lights went out all over the city. The evil man had sent an electric volt through the power lines in New York. Everything went quiet for a second and then it was dark, and there came panic. Everyone checked their phones and Twitter was going crazy. The cars on the streets stopped, the billboards went black and there was nothing. The evil man, James had succeeded and now the...

Kamari Bonneau (United States) published:

Write The World Two

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

My novel is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. As most people know Frankenstein is a big hideous monster who lives in a huge castle. But did they know there was a whole entire story behind this monster? Characters like Victor Frankenstein, Captain Walton, Elizabeth Lavenza, and the Bride of Frankenstein are different characters of Frankenstein. The Beginning of Frankenstein started off as Victor Frankenstein going off to school and study, and Captain Walton going out to sea, writing letters to Elizabeth...

k.b53 (United States) published:

New York Nightmare

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

As he took in the view from the twentieth floor, the lights went out all over the city and the busy sounds of New York City whirred to a halt. James wondered what had happened, the city had just been bursting a second ago. All the cars on the road stopped driving, which was weird because they don’t have brake petals for people to stop them with. He started to think, but then in the complete silence and dark, he...

1

Bennett Painter (United States) published:

What Lying Kids Need To Hear

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I’m on the school bus going home. I got in trouble for fighting in school. I know my parents are going to be mad, but I don’t know how to tell them. I can only imagine the punishment. I think I’m going to lie. 

This is what lying kids really need to hear: 

Telling your parents why you’re in trouble or what happened is better than trying to lie. If you are afraid of the punishment, being honest will always...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

sprinkledinwords (United Kingdom) published:

Dancing at Skyfall

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Her eyes were afire with starlight wonder as she swayed gently against the night, drunk on the moon and loving every single moment. You couldn't have told her that the world was ending or that the falling snowdrops were the ashes of the dying because to tell her the truth would be to break an angel.  So, you allowed her to dance in the would-be wasteland, tripping on her feet and humming a melody out of tune... because oh, if...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Im_tall_hah_jk_ (United States) published:

Earth SAVER

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Earth Saver by Hayley Newman

Our world, our earth is being threatened because of something we made, Plastic what a cruel word. We   
                can’t keep doing this to our planet to the point when there will be no nature or even our life. I think that in my 
head everyday, I want to share my wonders with anyone who can trustme. I can make our world a better place. “Bahaha, that's funny,” My older sister, Rosie loves doubting me...

Seeking Peer Reviews

magolorz (United States) published:

the esscence of the freshly laid snow

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

“̈The last pup just opened his eyes! Oh goody!”,
a strange voice shouted out happily. It almost seemed familiar, though he had never heard it.He tilts his head up to look at his very own mother for the first time.
Not paying attention, he doesn't see the looming figure behind him.
Cold hands scoop the helpless little puppy up. He sees his mother being dragged farther and farther away. It's almost like he had never met her. This day was...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Norah (United States) published:

Too Dark, Too Cold

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

For most of its life, the weather station had been a house, a home. It was built for a team of five or so people, and it was expected that they would live there. The people who designed it were perhaps old fashioned, weary of all the modern applications—including but not limited to a distaste for hairdryers and pop-up toasters.
    The beds were comfortably set into walls, the stairs: well worn and prone to the pops and cracks of all...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

_.mariamaa._ (Kuwait) published:

We are inferior to inferno

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Feelings. Maybe we all feel different types of pain, anger, sadness, etc. The symptoms that we all think we feel are just a caricature of a general feeling multiple people feel.  We take those symptoms and use them to teach feelings. At school, we are taught that anger is a feeling of strong annoyance. We are taught that the feeling of sadness, is feeling or showing sorrow. I feel a different type of sad. 
I feel a different type of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

tahlia_paiger (Australia) published:

The Original and The Clone

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I hate to read books. I try to reach for the impossible world that they describe, but really it’s pushing me into an unknown darkness. I prefer to read science, things that describe reality. Voices in the gloom of my mind whisper in wonder about how humans destroyed our only chance at life. How are we so small compared to earth but leave such a large mess? The world that I live in is like smoke, continuously changing and there’s...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

parachutes_the_idiot (Canada) published:

A Catastrophe In Space and Time EXCERPT

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

​EDDIE
Do you remember the science fair 2 years ago when we built that robot?

EDWIN
You mean our one sole academic accomplishment that made our parents proud? The project that we relied on YouTube to complete?

EDDIE
You’re catching on. 

EDGAR
I don’t understand. All we did was fuse together some wires, tighten some bolts, and spray paint a old mostly functional toy. 

EDDIE
We fused some wires and tightened some bolts.......what if we did something like that to...

2

Living My Life Through Writing (United States) published:

The Man And His Bone China Dolls

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

On a dark and slightly windy Halloween night, with a full moon, Bella began to prepare for the trick-or-treaters to approach her door. She prepared the candy in its respective bowls. Every once in a while, as she sorted the candy, a piece of her beautiful ebony hair slipped out from behind her ear and into her diamond shaped face. If you look close enough, you could see a few single gray strands. She would tuck the piece back into...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

A.D. (United States) published:

A Winter to Remember

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

I wish I could hear her voice one more time. The leaves crinkle beneath my feet. It was her favorite sound. But her favorite season, was Winter. She got all bundled up in a bubble coat and homemade hat. She was so pretty when the snow would fall perfectly on her eyelashes. The way she would giggle when she would fall down. A blessing and a half. Beautiful, little angel that could never be forgotten, removed,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

kittenwizard101 (United States) published:

Orangie's Adventure Ch.1 (For novel Prompt)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

As long as I have lived, I’ve always had someone by my side, from mommy to my stuffed teddy bear. Well now this story will show you both, I hope you like it. 
It had been many years since the last time Orangie helped out Guardian in the battle of Dormammu. He had been wondering Fantasyland ever since, from tavern to tavern he went trying to find jobs and tasks to get himself paid. He was not in debt to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

astrorbit__04 (Morocco) published:

Close Your Eyes #JakeFrommContest20

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Elijah Mason opens his sleepy eyes to see her once again. It's close to midnight, and she's dancing at a party; beneath the stars. 

They seem to twinkle and laugh at her, the night sky was swirled with clouds, and the grass is a dewy green. Yet still, no one notices as he looks at her. He knows everything about her, her full name; Mira Bella Jane, how she loves to draw little planets on anything she could get...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Fernweh (India) published:

Illicit

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

An old man kneeled on the polished marble floor in the middle of the city square. His hands were tied behind his back and his face was pressed to the ground.

The man's body was shrivelled from decades of hard work. But it was his back that caught her attention. A number of lines were etched on the bare and dark back. Thick blood trickled out of it.

Suddenly, a whip landed on his back. The sharp sound produced was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6
3

Drishti Bhatia (India) published:

Draped in Darkness

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

In the past few months, the Aussies had unsurprisingly acquired the instincts of a dolphin. They had been sleeping with half their brain on guard. It wasn't due to any mutation, rather, it was a reflex to their fear....

Mrs. Sally and her daughters were no exceptions. Since the gas attack that suffocated thousands to death in Canberra, her paranoia had grown ten times fold. Perth no longer felt like a safe haven to her. She remained alert during the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Sunni Mara (United States) published:

Professor Bethany J. Rhinehart

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

Tall trees surrounded me, a black canopy blocking out all light from entering my hiding place. A beast with twenty legs littered in golden spikes growled from outside the mass of trees hiding me away, loyally remaining in their place. I was crouched down, my pockets filled with heavy treasures the beast was guarding. A vicious growl sounded - a warning - encouraging me to come out of my hiding amongst the trees. I watched her twenty legs...

Seeking Peer Reviews