All writing published for Microphone

Published writing

1

Raquel (United States of America)() published:

Into the Forest

PROMPT: Microphone

If you lowered a microphone into the forest near my home, you would at first hear very little. But then, as your ears became adjusted to the sounds of nature, you would first hear the rustle of leaves in the wind. The soft swoosh of trees, trees bending to the power of a breeze, and the leaves falling with quiet sliding noises.
    These leaves, once they hit the ground, would crackle under your feet, and then crunch as...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 24 hours ago

1

Into the Forest

PROMPT: Microphone

If you lowered a microphone into the forest near my home, you would at first hear very little. But then, as your ears became adjusted to the sounds of nature, you would first hear the rustle of leaves in the wind. The soft swoosh of trees, trees bending to that power, and the leaves falling with quiet sliding noises.
    These leaves, once they hit the ground, would crackle under your feet, and then crunch as they broke. The...

Seeking Peer Reviews

alyssa1 (Canada)() published:

Summer Mountains

PROMPT: Microphone

If you placed a mic down on a trail in the Rockies during a blistering summer's day, you would hear the trickle of water streaming down a small waterfall, the whisper of a wasps nest nearby, maybe even the shuffle of a squirrel scurrying through the underbrush, the smooth, chalk-like sound of pebbles rattling against the stone floor, the rustling of leaves above with each slight breeze from the west, and the honey sweet chirping of a little...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Princess Maira (United States of America)() published:

Breaths of a Garden

PROMPT: Microphone

1. Bees' wings fluttering the weeds
2. Birds twittering in the trees above
3. The spider scuttling on the lettuce
4. My scaredy-cat sister's scream when she sees the spider scuttling on the lettuce
5. The wind rustling the poppies in the wildflower bed
6. The plop of a worm dropped from a bird's beak.
7. Tearing of roots from the ground as I weed.
8. Sirens from the highway in the distance
9. My own breath of exhaustion as...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Dragon-Like-Tendencies (United States of America)() published:

Sounds of Earth

PROMPT: Microphone

The unfurling of leaves reveal
The love of a Father and his Pride
He looks down at his Child
And hears his breath
The sloshing of oceans
the cries of jungle cats
as they leap on branches 
to catch their prey

He looks down in his Garden
And sees his favorite Child
A hairless, small thing
his voice singing low
as he wanders the trees
dirt between his toes
shuffling between the bugs and roots

The Child sits down on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Harlow (United States of America)() published:

thanksgiving kitchen

PROMPT: Microphone

in my pocket of the world, lend an ear
and you will hear
a symphony of joy. 

The sizzle of bacon
to wrap the crisp,
crunchy potatoes
and the drunken laughter from memories 
experienced by youth
in the mouths of elders,
and the squeal of childish glee
as relatives long gone
return around a table
with creaking chairs
and humming legs. 

Seeking Peer Reviews

Carissa Bartley (United States of America)() published:

Rodeo

PROMPT: Microphone

Off in the distance, I hear the screams and yells of the crowd. The cheering as the cowboys get out there and ride bulls to entertain them. I can hear the announcers hyping up the crowd at every second. The cheers and laughter of them laughing at our rodeo clown. But closest to me is my horse. The soft breathing and the squeak of my saddle as we walk, The sound of hooves underneath me... That's a sound that can't...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

julegagne (United States of America)() published:

The Forest

PROMPT: Microphone

The birds chirp in many different tunes, each is singing their own song, independently, but they all add up into one melody, a wonderful lullaby of nonsense. The trees are silent, but their leaves make up a white noise behind everything, the sound of leaves waving excitedly in the air. A distant creek makes a soft gurgling sound over smoothed stones. Bugs make many different noises, from chirping to buzzing to the horrifying tiny sound of a mosquito as it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

/kai/ (Germany)() published:

microphone

PROMPT: Microphone

if you lowered a microphone down to my street, you might hear the soft taps of rain falling on the leave of tall trees with thin and brittle trunks. You can hear the loud barking of dogs up the road, begging for the attention of their families. You can hear clearly the cars on the highway our little street branches off of, houses like small leaves that surround the giant tree of roadways. You can hear children playing in the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

gwenyth (United States of America)() published:

That One Computer Class When You Have a Substitute

PROMPT: Microphone

I glance around the room filled with the gentle clicking of keyboards.
Rain patters against the window, and there's a distant honk from the road outside.
The substitute's glazed eyes scan the students as he drones on about the assignment.
I can almost hear my peers' boredom, dull and unending.
Soon his snores add to the clicking and pattering and boredom.
A principal argues with a boy in the hall for skipping class.
Everyone quiets down to listen but soon,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

timtam.9 (Australia)() published:

The Shape of Me

PROMPT: Microphone

I believe in the art of listening.
But more so in the art of understanding.
I believe in the power of advocates.
I believe in the gospels of love and pain.
I believe in education- in the religion of becoming better.
I bow to no god, but maintain faith.
I support no harm, but believe in choice.
I dream of having children, 
Though they would live a life of human destruction.
I wish for it to stop, but know I’m...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

H. P. Henning (United States of America)() published:

The Sounds of Living in This World (As Recounted By A Depressed Teen)

PROMPT: Microphone

the sounds of my heart:
that steady jump
jump
jump
forces me alive
echoes off the walls
of this machine.

the mechanisms grind and clank
stomp and groan
sob and moan
they echo off the walls
of this machine.

the abyss, the labyrinth, the maze,
 of this machine
it jumps, it taunts
it dances, it mocks
the sounds forever echo
and follow
and scamper 
through the halls
of this machine.

Their playfulness and
    glassy giggles and
        joyous jumps,
incur those...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

AmyHowlett (United States of America)() published:

Almost Silent

PROMPT: Microphone

A simple "Ready, go" starts the silence. It's a silence that folds over the room like a warning. No one wants to break it. A tired teacher's quiet footsteps caress the prompted silence, breaking it, yet somehow enforcing it. Papers flip, some slowly, some quickly with more confidence. One, then another. Then another, and another. But then, there is yet again silence. Just the faint sound of graphite against paper and the sound of the ticking clock. And the eyes...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

chloe7nicholson (United States of America)() published:

Deafening Silence

PROMPT: Microphone

The sticky stillness of the room clings to your skin.  The white noise machines whirl violently as if trying to block out other's thoughts.  The repetitive thrum of it bored into my head like my unwanted thoughts.  Distant cries of anguish can just be made out, like whispers of grieving ghosts trying to penetrate the world of the living.  The clock on the wall ticks down my impending doom.  I swear the clicks begin to crescendo, drowning out all other...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Flaw (Malaysia)() published:

Mic Drop

PROMPT: Microphone

If you lowered a microphone into the perfect utopian world of Flaw on a perfect day, you might hear small tinkling sounds of giggles and laughter, the wet sounds of soft, intimate kisses, the slow sound of people breathing, and BTS music being played on the lowest volume possible from a phone.

luluwrites111 (United States of America)() published:

writing camp

PROMPT: Microphone

If you lowered a microphone into Noe Valley, San Francisco at two o' clock pm at the corner of Castro and twenty-fifth street, you would not hear much. Maybe you'd catch the soft rumble of a car as it glides up and down the famous hills, or a whisper of a siren from the other side of town. At approximately two fifteen, you would hear the sharp footsteps of black suede wedges walking up the hill, and the short breaths...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Austen Johnson (United States of America)() published:

The Music in the Park

PROMPT: Microphone

1. Birds Chirping to the lullaby of the Breeze

2. The hum of the Beating sun

3. The leaves and grass dancing the wind

4. Kids screaming and playing in the background

5. Squeaking of the swings as they go back and fourth

6. Crunching of the rocks as they walk

7. Cars pulling in and out as they please

8. The commotion of the Adults talking

9. The thuds of the slides as kids slide down them

10. The...

A Rose (United States of America)() published:

Bedroom in (Arles)

PROMPT: Microphone

1. gentle scratchings of a mauve record player
  2. tree limbs resting themselves onto the tin roof
  3. husband and wife, talking, laughing
  4. siblings and their friends screaming (also laughing)
  5. heating unit on a medium blast
  6. keyboard typing
  7. footsteps up the stairs
  8. call of my name
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

fDf888 (Australia)() published:

The Wind

PROMPT: Microphone

The wind whooshes through the trees. I can hear it. The sound of a sweeping broom, combined with the sigh of a fed up sweeper. But I'm not always hearing tiredness. Sometimes it plays with the trees, gently, peacefully. I can hear the leaves laughter as the wind tickles them. Other times, it is pushing and shoving past the branches, to get to who knows where. Short pants or heavy breaths, depending on the length of it's journey. The wind...

ForgetMeNot (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() published:

A small café by the sea (breathing for the first time, again)

PROMPT: Microphone

The fairy lights on the terrace hum, filling the warm air with an undercurrent of electricity. Plates are clatter from the kitchen and heels clop past on the still warm pavement. The soft wood gently creaks under the weight of sidelined baggage and the slick soles of servers slipping through the chairs, unseen. Plates clatter and harmonious chatter dips in un-orchastrated synchrony while the triumphant trumpet soars- dances- in it's overture. I breathe it in, one mouth to another;...

7

PROMPT: Microphone

1

Petra27 (New Zealand)() published:

If you just...

PROMPT: Microphone

If you lowered a microphone onto the Earth's globe you would hear all sorts of noises imaginable. Each place contributing its own sound to the already jarring discord. So many voices, so many instruments, so many styles, all very different yet similar, unique yet common.

If you listen hard enough you will hear music. If you listen even harder you can make out a variety of songs with a discrete combination of lyrics but an overlapping meaning all the same. 
...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

babybluelamentations (United States of America)() published:

can you blame me for loving my city?

PROMPT: Microphone

If you lowered a microphone into the backstreets of this sleepy sunrise terra-cotta city, you’d hear the quiet murmurs of a twenty-four-hour gas station and the purr of a car engine idling in the empty parking lot of an old mall. 
    Everyone left a long time ago to chase that california dream, that hollywood fame. What you’ll hear are the sounds of the particles that were left behind in the great stampede towards empty expectations.
        It’s the sound of...

Find_Myself_In_The_Flames (United States of America)() published:

Soundless

PROMPT: Microphone

The microphone has landed. It stands in the middle of a rural field. Magnified, you can hear the swish of the grash as it blowes in the wind, the soft mooing of the cow that rests nearby. From behind you comes the piercing chirp of the songbirds resting in the trees, and the calming gurgle of the creek running straight through the pasture. As you take it all in, do you wonder where you fit into it all? Where you...

miss_crafty29 (United States of America)() published:

Closely

PROMPT: Microphone

If you maybe just closed your eyes...
If just listened more closely, you may just hear those silent voices screaming.

You can hear the sorrow in the person next to.
Who you'll see pushes that ever bright smile, who swallows there tears only just to break when no one's looking. You'll figure out they're not daring, but looking for a distraction. See that they're not the chicken in the group but rather know that familiar outcome.