This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Rain or Shine

Full Details

Google “Greta, yellow raincoat” and you’ll see countless images of climate activist Greta Thunberg holding up a solitary sign outside the Swedish parliament.  Rain or shine, in the three weeks leading up to the Swedish election, Greta skipped school to demand that her government take radical action against climate change. Now, Thunberg has inspired waves of students around the world to join the cause. On March 15, 2019, one-and-a-half million young people in an estimated 132 countries walked out of school. Students pouring into streets around the world brought traffic to a stop; throngs of young people camped out in front of lawmaker’s office buildings; together, the affiliated rallies made it one of the largest environmental protests of all time. 

School strikes for climate have continued every Friday since—including Friday, September 20th, when in advance of the UN’s Climate Action Summit, Thunberg sparked a massive walkout; four million people around the world left school and work in a coordinated wake-up call to those in power.  

"This is all wrong,” Thunberg said in her speech to the UN a couple days later. “I shouldn't be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean.” And yet the world has turned to young people to lead the way. 

Dear writers, what cause do you fight for? Perhaps you have joined the climate marches, or perhaps you support an issue you are passionate about in another way. What issue is important enough to you that you would stand on the steps of your government building, and hold up a lonely sign, rain or shine? For inspiration, check out "Hong Kong" written by fellow WtW author BeTheChange18.