All writing published for Fashion Journalism Competition 2015. See Competition

Published writing

2
2

789 (United States) published:

Eyelashes

PROMPT: Fashion Journalism Competition 2015

In case you haven't noticed, you have little hairs attached to your eye lid. It is a novice mistake to confuse these with your eyebrows. Fashion is all about expression. Express yourself through the artistic use of materialistic things to bring deep, emotional connections to your audience. Change the world. You have potential.

Eyelashes are known in the scientific world as "useless". I'm running out of time. They're coming. They have the $400 eye stencils. If...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Katie B. (United States) published:

We Matter

Crip and brown, like fall leaves under a dying sun.
We stand in rows, tall, still, proud.
We matter.
We matter to him, we matter to our country.
We matter.

Red bands burn brightly across our arms.
Deep red, the symbol of hope.
Hope and bloodshed.
The black symbols pop from our bands,
their twisted beauty beckoning.
We matter.

A sea of blond hair.
Thousands of icy blue eyes
stare up at him.
We matter.

Our clothes are perfectly pressed, ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Jsmith (United States) published:

Hanging By A Thread

Vogue magazines, style, sparkly dresses, and the latest trends. Upon hearing the word “fashion”, these are some images that come to mind. Clothes are and always will be a major part of peoples’ lives, and although our elders try to teach us that real beauty is from within, for a generation like ours, external beauty is not only an unachievable expectation of all teens around the globe, but also thought of as more important. As a result, our generation...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Josephine O'Grady (United States) published:

The Bodies of Others Are Connected To My Own

They sit in hot, noisy, clothing factories, surrounded by bright-colored fabric that would soon
become shirts, jackets, jeans, and scarves. Working 12 to 14 hour shifts, with only a small break for lunch, they
are tired, but they can't stop, can't slow down because in order to eat and to live, this is what needs to be done. Everyday. Even when they are sick, tired, or injured, this is how many men, women, and children survive in order that we, across...

3
2

Sarah Feng (United States) published:

Skin, Bones, and Fabric

KNIFE PLEAT. FILIGREE. MANDARIN COLLAR.Neon leathers juxtaposed with silky lace ripple along the slender model's body, exposing sharp collarbones and wide hips. The boxy top hangs loosely over a tiny waist around which a pair of hands could wrap. A lucid membrane of pale skin is stretched thin over her bones, and a pair of loose epaulets emphasize her jutting shoulders. She strides purposefully like they had rehearsed so many times down the Styrofoam alley, pearly lights raining down...
Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Sarah Feng (United States) published:

Skin, Bones, and Fabric

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

David Levitsky (United States) published:

Shoes to Die For

What do sneakers mean to you? Something to put your feet in? Laces and leather? Or do they mean something more? Would you give your life for a pair of them? Sadly, too many kids have.
    When Michael Jordan stepped out on the basketball court donning his black and red Air Jordans in 1985, he revolutionized not only what shoes players in the NBA wore, but what shoes people worldwide wore. Gone were the days of plain white sneakers as...

2
2

Helen Grant (United Kingdom) published:

Dresses for Battle

When we went to the park, my mother always gave me boys' trousers to wear.
     Tracksuit bottoms, specifically. I'm sure you know the type: dinky, gathered ankles. Pockets cumbersome enough to give even the most svelte four-year-old a fully-fledged pair of birthing hips. They were made of a warm, thick, felt-like material, and more often than not they were rigid with mud.
     Other little girls sat placidly in their mother's laps in floral, frilly frocks, while I pelted...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Shoes to Die For

1

Shoes to Die For

When Michael Jordan stepped out on the basketball court laced in his black and red Air Jordans, he revolutionized not only what shoes players in the NBA wore, but what shoes the people of the world wore. Gone were the days of plain white...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Maria (United States) published:

Grey and Oversized

Sweatshirts have been an essential part of my wardrobe since third grade. I consider them relics that look into the facets of my personality. They’re mine. My DNA so embedded in their fabric, my loose strands of hair so woven among the threads, even my sweat so soaked into the pockets, that you could consider them fossils.
    To show you, I could list most fashionable to least fashionable.The most being the black hoodie with buttons and zippers that...

1
1

Raven Salvers (United States) published:

The Stranger

The street was crowded with people, all who were being themselves in their most creative ways. There was an old man wearing a brand new white baseball cap with a blue rim that cast a shadow over his wrinkled face that was dotted with sunspots. There was a flash of cool colors that whipped past my eyes. Looking around, I spotted a woman who stood out against everyone. Her back, leather, boots reached her knees and had two buckled straps....

Seeking Peer Reviews