This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Fashion journalism

Fashion Journalism Competition 2015

Full Details

This competition is now closed but you are still welcome to read through the published writing and blog posts.  

From kilts to kaftans, boas to bow ties, hoop skirts to high tops—throughout time and across cultures, we express who we are by what we wear. This season, fashion is in fashion at Write the World, and we want you to write about it. Perhaps you’ll profile your favorite designer or photographer, delve into industry ethics, critique a style, explore a region, predict the next trend, or write about the way YOU like to dress.

It’s September, which means spotlights around the globe are focused on fashion. Whatever your particular angle of interest may be, we’re looking for two key qualities in your entry:
  1. Write With Your Eyes: Readers of fashion journalism want to see the story. Make sure to provide details that allow your audience to visualize the particular trend, scene, artifact, or style you are featuring. And if you’re writing about a phenomenon or idea? Let us see that, too. Paint a picture of what goes on behind the scenes at the fur factory; put us in the shoes of a runway model; let us see the pile of once-worn clothes in the bottom of your closet.
  2. Unpack Those Clothes: Robin Givhan bears the distinction of being the only fashion journalist to win a Pulitzer Prize. Her writing transforms “fashion criticism into cultural criticism," the judges explained. In other words, she’s able to tie the subject of fashion to something deeper, something weightier than just garments. The heritage of style, the expression of values, conformity and resistance… See if you, too, can push beyond fashion at face value. 
In 350-700 words, shine your own spotlight on the world of fashion.

Guiding Ideas
  • Focus your attention on one issue, event, or idea in the world of fashion.
  • Do some background research to see what’s already been written about your topic. Find a fresh angle!
  • Seek out opinions, gathering interesting quotes and perspectives. 
  • Write about what most interests you. Intrigue is contagious!   
Length
350-700 words.

Guest Judge
Felicity Cooney

What’s Different about Write the World Competitions?
Prizes: The winning entrant will receive $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer will receive $50.
Professional Recognition: The winning entry, plus the runner-up and best peer review, will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.
Expert Review: Submit your draft by Monday, September 14th and get feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and educational professionals.

Due Dates
  • Sep 14 - Drafts Due to Expert Reviewers

• Sep 29 - Competition Deadline

Resources