This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Photo 1415273535647 499901af1614

A piece of good news.

Full Details

"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news," Anne Frank wrote in her diary. For two years during the Holocaust, she and her family hid in the secret compartment of an old warehouse. Her daily entries serve as a record of this fearful time, and contain remarkable clarity and optimism for a young girl so burdened by the darkness of the world. Her wisdom continues to resonate across geographies and generations.  

In addition to believing in the durability of "good news," Anne Frank saw joy as contagious. "Whoever is happy will make others happy too," she observed on another day.

This week, spread joy by writing a diary entry about your own good news. You may write about a particular ocassion, event, or person. Or perhaps your good news is derived from something more abstract or theoretical... your source of hope, a feeling of gratitude, an observation of beauty. “As long as this exists, this sunshine and this cloudless sky," Frank wrote, "and as long as I can enjoy it, how can I be sad?”

For a joyful diary entry from one of our very own Write the World members, check out Ethan's piece  describing his path to happiness.