All writing published for Human Connections Essay Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Filipino The Best!!! (Australia) published:

★彡[Tђe UήҜnown Grҽҽภ sҽcreτ [Cryรτalร]彡★

PROMPT: Human Connections Essay Competition 2019

One perfect day, I went swinging to an unknown cave, then when I reach my destination in the cave, I keep walking in deeper and deeper in the cave as the wave’s splashes in the cave and on my feet are cold down as the drops sips off my feet onto the cave beneath me.
Then as I walk in deeper and deeper with faith I keep walking in the cave and then I make it to the end, all...

Casey Donaldson (United States) published:

A Bond like No Other

During the young ages of my childhood, my mother did not work. My father assisted my grandparents at our family's alpaca farm while my mom stayed home with me. My two older brothers were beginning their first years of school, giving my mom and me a considerable amount of time together during the day. For as long as I can remember, my mother was my best friend. The majority of our time together spent laughing, the most prominent grins on...

tojosiewithlove (United States) published:

The Epic of Red String

When I was younger, a term I use lightly, as it couldn’t have been that long ago in the grand scheme of things, there was a story I loved, an old legend, retold in a million different ways, about the string of fate. Sometimes it was red, sometimes it was gold, but every time, without fail, when the ends met in the middle, everything that had made the world seem so big, so scary, faded away. I loved it because the world scared me...

Cierra.Nervo (United States) published:

Careful Feet

Looking down. Most people consider this, upon seeing some human looking down, a sign of feeling an emotion of discomfort or sorrow. Or they could just be thinking. None the less, looking up is a good sign. You either want to see the world, or you have the choice to see it. The world was, and is, meant to be seen.

I always looked down. I wasn't sad, or confused, or scared. I was shy, yes, but no reason for...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Fenley Jones (United States) published:

Fake Foliage

We were sitting on the little patio of the four house condominium, looking at the community park over across the small yard, the extra-wide neighborhood road, the nine space parking lot, and the neighborhood pool. I always wondered why they built all the condominiums facing North-East and not North. (Even the ancient Egyptians could do better than that.) 

My grandmother and I were sitting on one of the two outdoor chairs with footrests that come out from underneath the seat....

rehrbar (United States) published:

What I Wish I Could Tell You

What I wish I could tell you.
Sometimes breathing feels like the hardest thing in the world. Something so involuntary involves so much effort- has such a great effect. It's the first inhale of oxygen that seems to have the most trouble passing through my pipes. As if my pipes are a snake constricting its prey at a rapid speed but watch as it escapes. They say you take your first breath the moment you start living. That statement is...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

Claudia L (United States) published:

Brother? No. Sibling? Yes.

My grandma likes to tell a story about my sibling and it goes like this.  Family and friends were gathered in the hospital waiting room, eagerly awaiting my grand arrival onto the earth.  When I finally slipped out, my grandma excitedly proclaimed to my sibling, “Claudia is here!” 
  My sibling replied with, “really?!  I’ve been waiting to see her again for so long!”
  It would just be an average story, of course, if it hadn’t been for the difference that...

Madisonnn (United States) published:

Human Connection

Human Connection
Human connection comes in different forms based on the relationship the two people have formed. The connections people form can be based off of the way their body, mind, heart, and spirit connect. Human connections can form in different kinds of ways, a connection can happen right off the bat or it can form after a period of time with that person. “Love at first sight” is an example of a well known specific connection two people experience.....

life.at.12am (Canada) published:

Always By Your Side

Matching little braids whipping around as we lean in, wide grins spread across our faces, our linked arms swinging. Sharing broken crayons colouring a picture, pushing each other on the swings, walking hand in hand around the playground. Sharing earbuds on the bus, calling while you go about your morning routine and talking over the phone while brushing your teeth. Little moments like these, well, this is what life looks like when you have two best friends who've been with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

JJ Cruz (Guam) published:

Bonds that affect

One day I know I'm going to be famous. It won't be for the sake of riches, but because I want to be something. I want to get away from this life of dreamless people. I want to get away from the petty crimes on the street and take the world stage. So, I like to think, there are people I want to affect. I want to give them their lives meaning. Something that makes pain, struggle, and...

1

rachelwing (United States) published:

As a Misfit to My City

I live less than an hour away from San Francisco, a lively city in California that is known for its cultural attractions, diverse communities, and world-class cuisine. However, the city that I actuallylive in is Fremont, California. Our community loves to stay in our comfort zones and children commonly follow their parents’ footsteps regardless of their individual passions; Fremont is much more low-scale than San Francisco for obvious reasons. Parents love to shelter their children from the cruel dangers...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Ash Hayden (United States) published:

Little Things

The sun withdrew its warm rays, as it vanished behind the trees; leaving the Earth in a cloak of darkness, only to be illuminated by the twinkling stars overhead. I looked up amazed, at how many stars and planets there were, and how small we are compared to the vastness of them. Next to me, a fire with bright, amber flames danced within a circle of rough, uneven rocks. A dense smoke with a thick, oaky scent was carried along...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

lmintoid (United Kingdom) published:

Can we be more than satellites?

When I look up at the sky, I often wonder what other life is up there. If there is any life up there. If they know about us, if they can even form intelligent thought. Are we alone, humankind? Are we satellites, floating on our own but unable to make connections? Is that what we are?

If we are alone, at least we have each other. We're fascinating creatures, humans. We are the only species on earth to have developed...

Seeking Peer Reviews

dhruv04 (India) published:

A journey

Memories are the part and parcel of every one’s life. A man always remembers the good days he has passed. There are some good memories and some bad memories in life. The good memories are the good experiences one gets in one’s life. The good memories includes; school life memories including primary, high school, college and university life memories.
My School Life Days
The school life is the best life. A man, who has been the student, knows what school...

1

NatalieJ (United States) published:

Pies With Old People

When I was around four, I used to go and volunteer at a local nursing home and bake pies with random old women. The old ladies used to own one big bakery together but when they became too old, they abandoned the business and came to a nursing home as they became incompetent. As you could guess I didn’t know how to bake a pie, but I liked kneading the dough and putting salt in the filling because I thought...

1

Dream (United States) published:

Between Us

Every day during breakfast, I sat at the second table to the front and people-watched. Under the fluorescent lights of the middle school cafeteria, I watched as so many different yet unique characters passed under my gaze. There were the shy, meek students who would pass in silence and the wilder ones who would gesticulate along with the songs blasting in their headphones. Vulgar swears would dance in rhythm while crude easy smiles spread across their faces. You could easily...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Porter Nicole (United States) published:

Chosen Families

Chosen Families

Edna Buchman said our friends are the family we get to choose. As long as people have been alive, society has had “chosen families.” They may not be biologically related, but they’re important all the same. Our friends are the people we count on to be there for us, the people we trust with our secrets, our deepest hopes and ambitions. They’re there for us during difficult times to make us smile and they’re there to give...

1

FattieAttieBoomba (United States) published:

The Trip: Max Harding

ajamwal (United States) published:

change

i was five, extroverted and careless behind me, akira and i spread our arms wide and ran the wind rushing through our curly dark hair, our parents snapping pictures. akira was my best friend, we had our difference, but when we were together we were inseparable. she was quiet, but around me, talkative as ever. 

it was kindergarten, i wore my newest blue and purple dress, that i couldn't prevent tripping on when we reached the school. my parents...

Seeking Peer Reviews

almost 1 year ago

2

aashanadaru (India) published:

Grocery Shopping

They’ll tell you that grocery shopping is a tedious bore—a drag, an experience that never ends and more often than not, sees you end up lost in the maze-like aisles of an all-too-bright store. But, grocery shopping with you is kind of fun.
I know, I know—we’re only 16 but we’re 16 and so dramatically in love that really, all I want to do for the rest of my life is grocery shop with you.
I’m standing at this check-out...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Shelby Olson (United States) published:

One of the Boys

One of the Boys
The first couple of years of my life I grew up wearing blue shirts, jeans, and overalls. I had blue binkies, blue bibs, and even blue bottles. My car seat was printed with tiny red,...

1

Lizzybeth (United States) published:

Connections of the Heart and Mind

No matter who we are, what we look like, or how we act, we are all connected together by several things. We all see the same skies above us, the same smiles around us, and the same light in each other’s eyes. Human connections are what make these things known and possible. But why are these connections with each other important? Interacting with other people is of course important, but why? There is one main thing that we gain from...

Fenley Jones (United States) published:

Fake Foliage

We were sitting on the little patio of the 4 house condominium, looking at the community park over across the small yard, the extra-wide neighborhood road, the 9 space parking lot, and the neighborhood pool. I always wondered why they built all the condominiums facing North-East and not North. (Even the ancient Egyptians could do better than that.)